AMD The Truth

I cant believe i waste so much time reading these big debated threads thinking something is going to change right now.. Its not!... AMD fans like myself should get over the fact that our little company got SMOKED the last 2 years! I know AMD is not as fast is the big blue and everyone else in the amd camp should admit it too.. Get over it guys.. I love AMD and I really want an Intel platform! Last 5years its been a back and forth cycle.. Us AMD fans can just only pray that there will be another slugfest!
171 answers Last reply
More about truth
  1. Try telling that to "tunderman".

    He may hit you with his battered cod once you have finished.
  2. this is really an unnecessary thread surely? you could just have posted this viewpoint on any of the aforementioned hotly debated threads
  3. spuddyt said:
    this is really an unnecessary thread surely? you could just have posted this viewpoint on any of the aforementioned hotly debated threads



    Why is that? We "all of us" are beating this dead horse so much that it looks like a pile of beans!
  4. so why make it worse?
  5. It doesnt affect my life that your intel is better than my amd. To others it really does.. We should be helping each other not bashing each other
  6. LEAVE AMD ALONE!

    (Everytime he says "Britney" replace it with "AMD")

    (No, seriously, watch it the entire way through and replace all the Britney references with AMD, you can so picture fanboys at their homes doing this)

  7. ACTUALY: looking at via for the next cpu i buy.

    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ1MCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

    just kidding.(or am I?)
  8. wouldnt that be nice to see a 3rd player !
  9. Personally I have no commitment to either. I will buy whatever is fastest. Who cares who makes it. I certainly don't wish AMD any bad will, just make a faster chip and you have my business....same with ATI. But I sure as hell won't pretend that AMD or ATI is faster than Intel and Nvidia at the moment. Fanboy of speed. Only
  10. ATI actually isn't doing too bad. They're not better than nVidia, but they have a couple of really good cards that do compete on the same level. If I was building a new rig I would probably lean toward the Radeon 3850 if the price was good, which they currently are.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1305520549+106792462&name=Radeon+HD+3000+series
  11. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    ATI actually isn't doing too bad. They're not better than nVidia, but they have a couple of really good cards that do compete on the same level. If I was building a new rig I would probably lean toward the Radeon 3850 if the price was good, which they currently are.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1305520549+106792462&name=Radeon+HD+3000+series


    Now, you're showing yourself to be a fanboy and not a factboy. AMD is almost as bad as you say and Intel is the best CPU tech, but there's no way that anyone can say that ATI is not better than Nvidia. When more than just a few fps in Crysis are considered, ATI is better than Nvidia.

    ATI has better image quality and has been consistent over the last few generations since the 8500. It has had really competitive cards since the 9800 Pro.

    ATI has Avivo, which generally beats Pure Cinema. It comes with the cards and does not cost an extra fifty bucks or so. Nvidia is ripping people off charging for Pure Cinema.

    ATI's drivers are genuinely good. They don't have access to the code that Nvidia pays for through it's "Nvidia, the way it's meant to be bribed" program (something similar was done by Intel with their OEM rebate deals keeping AMD down to a smaller market share). Yet, they catch up and perform just as well, or better, overall.

    ATI and Nvidia leapfrog the top spot in each generation, but Nvidia shows that they only care about the enthusiast gamer, despite their willingness to put out a few low end cards for the clueless who hear that the $600 Nvidia card. is number one so the lower end cards must be better too.

    As a graphics card, ATI is on top. As a gaming card, ATI is neck and neck. I'd say they are better than Nvidia and will only get better since the merger. Once AMD goes to 45nm Swift for notebooks and perhaps even triple hybrid Crossfire (ie CPU core + 780G + discrete low end graphics) for entry level and HTPC.

    Maybe Nvidia will buy Via, but I doubt they'll get AMD. Their own partners don't want that, because they like the competition too. Nvidia won't have a CPU to compete against Intel and AMD in later generations unless they buy one or develop their own. Unless they only want to be a high end enthusiast company that only gives a few extra fps in a demanding FPS, they will lose much of the market share.

    Though the 7600gs I have isn't that bad a card, the motherboard I bought with it turned out to be a lousy product and I'll never buy another Nvidia motherboard again. I'll stick with the AMD platform as an act of charity towards AMD CPU's but it won't be charity towards what are essentially ATI chipsets and graphics cards. Those are top notch.

    I give Nvidia three stars for their enthusiast cards, but ATI four stars for overall performance in every sector where graphics matters: the first decent gaming and TV card (AIW Radeon 8500 128), the best graphics card of it's generation (9800XT and the AIW 9800 Pro), the improvement and victory of the X1950 Pro, the first decent IGP (690G) following a good effort (X200). Hybrid Crossfire and promises of Swift.

    If you mention the 2900XT, then I'll mention the FX 5200. Which is worse? A mid range card that matches it's competitor (the 8800gts 320) or a card that every Nvidiot on a budget bought because it wasn't ATI? I had a friend stuck with one of those. Now his newest Dell has an 8600gt! Yay Nvidia at the low end!

    The 2600 was never a gaming card it was an HD card. The 3850, 3870 and 3870x2 are gaming cards and HD cards. All that is missing for me is an All in Wonder version for our upcoming HTPC.

    I finally got talked into going 3870x2. Can't wait to order it this Friday!
  12. yipsl said:
    Now, you're showing yourself to be a fanboy and not a factboy. AMD is almost as bad as you say and Intel is the best CPU tech, but there's no way that anyone can say that ATI is not better than Nvidia. When more than just a few fps in Crysis are considered, ATI is better than Nvidia.


    Ummm...

    Link to a benchmark that shows an ATI card doing better than an 8800 Ultra.

    You can start by looking here:

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html


    And re-read my comment, it was actually a positive one for ATI, not negative.
  13. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Ummm...

    Link to a benchmark that shows an ATI card doing better than an 8800 Ultra.

    You can start by looking here:

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html


    And re-read my comment, it was actually a positive one for ATI, not negative.


    Link.
  14. You're all nuts. What the heck is a CPU and why would I want one??
  15. Yes ATI have woken up , but why does it take 2 of ATI GPU's to slighty beat 8800 Ultra eh!.. imangine when Nvidia start putting quad GPUs on a single card !!
  16. cnumartyr said:
    Link.


    the 2 cards are better than one! :p

    /added a bit of sarcasm or something along those lines...
  17. amddiesel said:
    I cant believe i waste so much time reading these big debated threads thinking something is going to change right now.. Its not!... AMD fans like myself should get over the fact that our little company got SMOKED the last 2 years! I know AMD is not as fast is the big blue and everyone else in the amd camp should admit it too.. Get over it guys.. I love AMD and I really want an Intel platform! Last 5years its been a back and forth cycle.. Us AMD fans can just only pray that there will be another slugfest!


    Be that as it may, the fact is a nice 790FX mobo and an X2 6000+ or one of the BE's make for a solid performing machine.

    Also, methinks you invest too much energy and emotion into which company has the "best" processor. Best for what? Best at running benchmarks? Best at websurfing? Best at forwarding those stupid-a$s email jokes.

    Oh yeah, one last thing, as a self proclaimed AMD fanboy, if you ever buy an Intel platform, the Green Machine will send the Goon Squad to your house and take away your secret decoder ring! :ouch:
  18. cnumartyr said:
    Link.


    Thank you.

    As others have said, that's two 3870's against one 8800 Ultra; it does best it by a few frames per second, none-the-less.

    Other benchmarks put a single 3870 somewhat close to a 8800, which at the right price would be enough to entice me to buy a (single) 3870.
  19. p05esto said:
    You're all nuts. What the heck is a CPU and why would I want one??

    come to think of it, who am i, and what have i done with my life? (filling in your sentence :P)
  20. chunkymonster said:
    Be that as it may, the fact is a nice 790FX mobo and an X2 6000+ or one of the BE's make for a solid performing machine.


    I agree that dual-core can go either way. Intel does have faster products, but if you are content with stock speed and only want a low-end to mid-range dual core, AMD has some good K8 offerings.
  21. I just have to give it up for spuddyt.

    The single greatest avatar icon of all time !

    The princess's face is simply... priceless....
  22. I'd like to see Nvidia respond by putting two G92's on one card (a la 7950 GX2 style). ;)
  23. pseudopeon said:
    I'd like to see Nvidia respond by putting two G92's on one card (a la 7950 GX2 style). ;)


    That's exactly what will happen. There are tons of rumors about the 9800 GX2 now. It's a dual G92 card.
  24. I don't have as much faith in nVidia's scaling techniques as i do ATi. Save for a few select titles, 2 Mildly-priced ATi cards whip it out and lay it on the table against all but the absolute fastest nVidia cards, at a price point up to 40% cheaper. not to discredit nVidia as I loved them for a very long time (TNT1 -> geforce4) but Since I got my 9500PRO, going forward, I've notices little things like back when color depth was a big performance issue, ATi adhered to the 24-bit WHQL structure while nVidia you either had fast 16-bit color or slow 32-bit. Carry this to the present, and while you may see nVidia running faster, you should notice that ATi cards don't take as big a hit as the resolution gets bumped up, their image quality is definately better, and now their drivers do "Multiview" so you don't lose your secondary monitor when you load up a game!
  25. personally, i think that the "nVidiot" was the best bit of this artical. quality
  26. VIA for the win anyone? I heard they where making a super-super-uBer CPU that has an integrated graphics processor into the die, and its going to be run by using Uranium.............

    Unfortunatly i cannot link to this article........
  27. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Thank you.

    As others have said, that's two 3870's against one 8800 Ultra; it does best it by a few frames per second, none-the-less.

    Other benchmarks put a single 3870 somewhat close to a 8800, which at the right price would be enough to entice me to buy a (single) 3870.


    I understand the argument (although I think it is rediculous) of "OH MAN IT'S TWO GPUS."

    They beat it, they beat it. Period. Does it matter that Intel's C2Q isn't Native Quad? You know where I am going with this argument, so we don't need to get into it.

    The bottom line is it beats it, and it does it at a price point well below the MSRP of the Ultra. It's another option and it's good for competition. That being said in the GPU segment I'm waiting for G100 vs RV770. Modular GPUs sound awesome.
  28. cardio said:
    Personally I have no commitment to either. I will buy whatever is fastest. Who cares who makes it. I certainly don't wish AMD any bad will, just make a faster chip and you have my business....same with ATI. But I sure as hell won't pretend that AMD or ATI is faster than Intel and Nvidia at the moment. Fanboy of speed. Only


    isn't atis' top card (albeit an x2 gpu model) fster than any of the nvid top cards??
    ahem..
  29. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Thank you.

    As others have said, that's two 3870's against one 8800 Ultra; it does best it by a few frames per second, none-the-less.

    Other benchmarks put a single 3870 somewhat close to a 8800, which at the right price would be enough to entice me to buy a (single) 3870.


    Screw the HD3870. My Radeon 9700Pro will PWN any card. I miss that card and back when ATI was its own little Canadian company that put NVidia in its place.

    AMD, I don't bash. I just don't like it when they promise so much and you get so little in return. Kinda like how the GeForce 5 series promised so much and all you got was a blowdyer for your PC. Yea it helped pull out the hot air but whats the use when you go deaf?

    AMD will be fine. AMD is just between a rock(Phenom 65nm) and a hard place(Intel Core2). It wont last forever just wont go away that soon. Maybe if AMD got their dual/tri cores out now instead of waiting.
  30. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    LEAVE AMD ALONE!

    (Everytime he says "Britney" replace it with "AMD")

    (No, seriously, watch it the entire way through and replace all the Britney references with AMD, you can so picture fanboys at their homes doing this)









    If I could stomach it and my soul could withstand a second viewing of that I would. But I see what you mean lol. I wonder if all the nvidia guys will be the same when the tables turn (which they almost certainly will at some point in the future).
  31. Nvidia have had alot of time with no real competition, maybe we will start to see the technology they stock-piled over that period.

    Close competition like this is BRILLIANT, it means we get cheaper hardware whoever we buy from.

    I can't see what anyone would be complaining about, AMD finally has a competative high end and nvidia will drop its prices to compete.
  32. BTW TC I think that is a girl. Seems like it to me unless the guy is just very sensative to other peoples feeling and sounds like a girl.
  33. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    LEAVE AMD ALONE!

    (Everytime he says "Britney" replace it with "AMD")

    (No, seriously, watch it the entire way through and replace all the Britney references with AMD, you can so picture fanboys at their homes doing this)








    TC after watching that video I weep for the world..............if that is supposed to be entertaining or cognitively stimulating I just don't know what to say. I get your point I just don't get that guy and his childish tantrums.

    There goes the gene pool........ :pt1cable:
  34. caamsa said:
    TC after watching that video I weep for the world..............if that is supposed to be entertaining or cognitively stimulating I just don't know what to say. I get your point I just don't get that guy and his childish tantrums.

    There goes the gene pool........ :pt1cable:



    LOL. Yes. And unfortunately this dude is probably American.

    And yes, it is a dude, for those of you who question his gender.
  35. Wow. A dude huh? Well I am guessing hes a Emo? I mean I like some Emo music just none of the too sad crap.
  36. confessions of a true amd fan
    i feel your pain

    best thing is to get a cheap used amd machine so you have one and say you are pro amd. then buy a real nice killer intel system so you can smoke your amd friends at the frag party
  37. yipsl said:
    Now, you're showing yourself to be a fanboy and not a factboy. AMD is almost as bad as you say and Intel is the best CPU tech, but there's no way that anyone can say that ATI is not better than Nvidia. When more than just a few fps in Crysis are considered, ATI is better than Nvidia.

    ATI has better image quality and has been consistent over the last few generations since the 8500. It has had really competitive cards since the 9800 Pro.

    ATI has Avivo, which generally beats Pure Cinema. It comes with the cards and does not cost an extra fifty bucks or so. Nvidia is ripping people off charging for Pure Cinema.

    ATI's drivers are genuinely good. They don't have access to the code that Nvidia pays for through it's "Nvidia, the way it's meant to be bribed" program (something similar was done by Intel with their OEM rebate deals keeping AMD down to a smaller market share). Yet, they catch up and perform just as well, or better, overall.

    ATI and Nvidia leapfrog the top spot in each generation, but Nvidia shows that they only care about the enthusiast gamer, despite their willingness to put out a few low end cards for the clueless who hear that the $600 Nvidia card. is number one so the lower end cards must be better too.

    As a graphics card, ATI is on top. As a gaming card, ATI is neck and neck. I'd say they are better than Nvidia and will only get better since the merger. Once AMD goes to 45nm Swift for notebooks and perhaps even triple hybrid Crossfire (ie CPU core + 780G + discrete low end graphics) for entry level and HTPC.

    Maybe Nvidia will buy Via, but I doubt they'll get AMD. Their own partners don't want that, because they like the competition too. Nvidia won't have a CPU to compete against Intel and AMD in later generations unless they buy one or develop their own. Unless they only want to be a high end enthusiast company that only gives a few extra fps in a demanding FPS, they will lose much of the market share.

    Though the 7600gs I have isn't that bad a card, the motherboard I bought with it turned out to be a lousy product and I'll never buy another Nvidia motherboard again. I'll stick with the AMD platform as an act of charity towards AMD CPU's but it won't be charity towards what are essentially ATI chipsets and graphics cards. Those are top notch.

    I give Nvidia three stars for their enthusiast cards, but ATI four stars for overall performance in every sector where graphics matters: the first decent gaming and TV card (AIW Radeon 8500 128), the best graphics card of it's generation (9800XT and the AIW 9800 Pro), the improvement and victory of the X1950 Pro, the first decent IGP (690G) following a good effort (X200). Hybrid Crossfire and promises of Swift.

    If you mention the 2900XT, then I'll mention the FX 5200. Which is worse? A mid range card that matches it's competitor (the 8800gts 320) or a card that every Nvidiot on a budget bought because it wasn't ATI? I had a friend stuck with one of those. Now his newest Dell has an 8600gt! Yay Nvidia at the low end!

    The 2600 was never a gaming card it was an HD card. The 3850, 3870 and 3870x2 are gaming cards and HD cards. All that is missing for me is an All in Wonder version for our upcoming HTPC.

    I finally got talked into going 3870x2. Can't wait to order it this Friday!


    FANBOI FANBOI FANBOI!
  38. I'm what you would call a budget enthusiast, though some just call me cheap. Yes, I'm a fan of AMD. Mostly though, I'm more of a fan when Intel holds the crown. That's when we can all get the best bang for our $.
  39. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    LOL. Yes. And unfortunately this dude is probably American.

    And yes, it is a dude, for those of you who question his gender.

    I'm not going down that road...
  40. amddiesel said:
    Why is that? We "all of us" are beating this dead horse so much that it looks like a pile of beans!


    You say, we "all of us" are beating a dead horse, are you speaking for yourself? You couldn't be speaking for me because I'm still riding the horse. :)
  41. i thought this was a CPU thread. where'd all the horse refrences come from?
  42. teh_boxzor said:
    i thought this was a CPU thread. where'd all the horse refrences come from?


    What comes out of the northern end of a horse heading south?
  43. amddiesel said:
    I cant believe i waste so much time reading these big debated threads thinking something is going to change right now.. Its not!... AMD fans like myself should get over the fact that our little company got SMOKED the last 2 years! I know AMD is not as fast is the big blue and everyone else in the amd camp should admit it too.. Get over it guys.. I love AMD and I really want an Intel platform! Last 5years its been a back and forth cycle.. Us AMD fans can just only pray that there will be another slugfest!


    "big blue"
    Agreed IBM is awesome! :sol:
  44. caamsa said:
    TC after watching that video I weep for the world..............if that is supposed to be entertaining or cognitively stimulating I just don't know what to say. I get your point I just don't get that guy and his childish tantrums.

    There goes the gene pool........ :pt1cable:

    You really think this, uh person is a breeder? The only jeans he will be contaminating are his Levis. :kaola: :kaola:
  45. rhysee said:
    Yes ATI have woken up , but why does it take 2 of ATI GPU's to slighty beat 8800 Ultra eh!.. imangine when Nvidia start putting quad GPUs on a single card !!



    I think the point he was trying to make is that the 8800 Ultra gives you 100 fps of garbage and the 3870 X2 gives you 90 fps of Divinci.

    Well - I don't know about all that - but I do know that the ATI card works well in my XBox, supposedly much better than the PS3 as far as image reproduction is concerned.
  46. teh_boxzor said:
    i thought this was a CPU thread. where'd all the horse refrences come from?



    K10 = dead horse
  47. Like spuddyt said ... bury it.

    All your doing is baiting the dumb trolls who have nothing interesting to offer and who continue to drag everything offtopic.

    This site is going down the gurgler.
  48. Quote:
    Well AMD smoked Intel for 3 years straight, now Intel has smoked AMD for a year and a half. The way I look at it, AMD still has another year and a half to come up with something better right? Thats how long it took big Intel.
    So what is the point of these fanboy articles??


    The point is that they give a lot of us who have nothing better to do a place to go and complain about something that probably doesn't matter in the long run. After all, how many of us are really goping to buy a Nvidia Ultra or a 3870 X2, or a QX9770 or a, well, very few people around here would buy a Phenom. But that's the point, bored people with nothing to do complaining about computer hardware that they'll probably never buy.

    Now that I've said that, I'll probably go look through a Playboy or something, wishing for women that I'll never meet, much less have.
  49. Quote:
    Well AMD smoked Intel for 3 years straight, now Intel has smoked AMD for a year and a half. The way I look at it, AMD still has another year and a half to come up with something better right? Thats how long it took big Intel.
    So what is the point of these fanboy articles??


    Unfortunately in terms of pure CPU performance I think Intel has AMD beat for the foreseeable future. Comparing the roadmaps of the two, AMD is falling further and further behind, it is a good thing they are diverging into new projects like Swift and Fusion (as well as their GPU business) because I think the days of AMD challenging Intel for the CPU performance crown are over... unless Nehalem turns out to be a massive flop of course. ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel