Sign in with
Your question

Installing BFG 7800 GS OC (AGP) - All fans on/no beeps/no boot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2008 2:59:39 PM

I am no stranger to building PCs. Been doing so for 10 years now. Recently, I encountered a strange problem whose root cause I cannot identify.

I was replacing the 6600 from my friend's PC with a 7800 GS OC from BFG. Installing the hardware went fine. Made sure to plug a power connection into the back of the card. When I go to plug in the power supply cord, having unplugged it during the installation, all the fans come on and stay on. I have never seen this before and searching was not helpful.

Hopefully someone here can shed some light on my problem.

Thanks in advance.
January 23, 2008 3:53:39 PM

Does it work if you put the 6600 back in? You may have a faulty 7800 GC.
January 23, 2008 4:14:30 PM

Yes, everything works normally when the old 6600 is put back in.

The 7800 "was" working a few days earlier as it belonged to a mutual friend who recently upgraded.
Related resources
January 28, 2008 1:21:57 PM

Has anyone ever experienced this? When plugging in the power supply, all fans turn on and stay on? Not even turning on the power via the switch. Simply plugging the power supply in!!!
January 28, 2008 1:52:02 PM

bluefishreg said:
I am no stranger to building PCs. Been doing so for 10 years now. Recently, I encountered a strange problem whose root cause I cannot identify.

I was replacing the 6600 from my friend's PC with a 7800 GS OC from BFG. Installing the hardware went fine. Made sure to plug a power connection into the back of the card. When I go to plug in the power supply cord, having unplugged it during the installation, all the fans come on and stay on. I have never seen this before and searching was not helpful.

Hopefully someone here can shed some light on my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Just out of curiosity, could you give us the specs on the PS - brand, overall rated capacity, rated power on the 12v rail, age?

Have you tried depressing the front power button for 10 seconds to see if this shuts off the unit after plugging in the cord to the PS?
January 30, 2008 1:32:43 PM

I have tried pressing the power button. Everything turns off. When the power button is pressed again, same result. All fans turn on. No Boot. No beep codes.

Also, the PS is a SilenX Extrema 600W. So I don't believe power is an issue, however, the PC does have 4 SATA HDs, big Sound card, 2 optical drives, fan manager with big LCD.

I wish I had another AGP sytem to test the card in, but I don't. :( 

January 31, 2008 7:22:33 PM

How many amps on the 12v rail. That card requires 20-22 or something I believe. my old system I handed off to my gf when I built my new one had a thermaltake psu with only 18 amps on the 12v rail hoping it might cut the cheese and I got this card for that pc, and it turned on fans blowing no boot, got a new Ultra PSU with 28 amps on the 12v rail and presto she booted up.
January 31, 2008 7:38:32 PM

tsd16 said:
How many amps on the 12v rail. That card requires 20-22 or something I believe. my old system I handed off to my gf when I built my new one had a thermaltake psu with only 18 amps on the 12v rail hoping it might cut the cheese and I got this card for that pc, and it turned on fans blowing no boot, got a new Ultra PSU with 28 amps on the 12v rail and presto she booted up.

Well that is exactly what is happening to me.

Let me look up the PS specs...http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc/configurePrdz.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=56

Output: 600W
3.3V - 32.0A
5.0V - 42.0A
12.0V - 36.0A

That should be plenty of power but as I said above, he has a lot of "extras" installed.

EDIT - I might have him try and unplug all extras and just try booting with only the video card and boot drive. I'm running out of options.
February 11, 2008 10:04:38 AM

bluefishreg, I have exactly the same problem. Sorry to highjack the post but I need a solution as well for my BFG 7800GS

How can you tell about the amps/rails? I have no idea. I do have a 400W though.

I have tried reinstalling xpHome.
Ive checked the card works in another computer.
The molex is in.
Bios and chipsets updated as much as possible
Amd Athlon 2.8+, 3Gig ram

:cry: 

The only things I have left to try is:-
F8 >> Enable VGA Mode
Enable P2PdeepFIFO in BIOS -- However you do that???

Will
August 8, 2008 12:34:40 AM

was this issue ever resolved?

I just got a 7800 and i am having the same issue.

I sent the card back to bfg for an RMA and got a different one (same model) back today.

before i sent it to bfg i replaced the power supply with a new 500w dual rail 25amp bfg model

like yours, the card powers up and the fan runs but the cpu will not boot... no beeps, no bios, no nothing.

I have an older abit mother board but it is agp 8x...

this is bizzare.

any help would be great
a c 88 U Graphics card
August 10, 2008 9:37:32 PM

Had the XFX 7800GS AGP in my last system and never encountered any problems with it ,dont think its your PSU. The problems you are encountering are very bizarre.Check with BFG support as they are both BFG. They may have had some similar problems with other customers.
September 7, 2008 11:13:15 AM

Having similar prob's with my agp 7800 gsoc.
im currently using my xps to make this post using x800, but when i put in the 7800, the computer turns on fine, will even boot to windows, as i can see the hard drive working and even hear the sounds of windows, but the 7800 will not put up any image on the minitor.
trouble shot it a few ways,
tried several minitors, and hdmi adaptors, tried dif power supply, tried unplugging all devices cept graphics card, and then i tried card in another pc, and it worked fine, sad thing was.. that pc has a lower power supply then my main machine. so wth?

current pc spec is

dimension xps gen 2, 640w ps, 1gig mem, 3.0 p4 w/ht, bios v. A03
any help would be appreciated, thanks
September 30, 2008 11:37:25 PM

I have a similiar problem with the BFG 7800 GS (AGP). Worked great and rock-solid stable for almost 3 years then it died and none of the two replacement cards BFG sent has worked (no video or beep at boot).

Supermicro X5DA8
550W PSU
2x2.66 Xeon
3GB ram
4 HDD (3 SCSI, 1 IDE)
1 DVD ROM

My previous video card, a Radeon 9800 Pro, works fine in the system.

The PSU has 40A on the +12V. I tried disconnecting the hard drives and DVD, still no video output.
October 6, 2008 5:21:42 AM

I remember having the same problem a while back by replacing a mx440 with a fx 5900. I to had flash the bios to get the card working.
October 6, 2008 7:18:57 AM

I used to use 7800gs also, but from Evga and i got to say, i have never seen this problem on mine old computer.

I was using amd 2500+ , 1gigs of ram, and NO NAME PSU which is about 350 watts; however, i do not have alot of "junk."
December 24, 2008 8:54:05 AM

**Bump**

Ok, here's an update for people who are still having some unresolved issues with the bfg 7800 agp gsoc. I booted pc up with pci card, and installed nvidia drivers, then popped in the bfg card, still wouldnt turn on, but, windows installed drivers for it once i was into windows, still blank screen on bfg mind you, but the pci card was working fine. once drivers were installed, i was able to go into display config in windows and turn on extended display and to my amazment... it turned on, runs like a champ, made it primary and use it for my games, hell im running fallout 3 on it almost fully maxed, minus the shadows, hate shadows... anyways back to my point... the card works! it probably has this whole time... ok so that leaves me with a few thoughts to try and sort out... if the card works, its got power and its playing fine, why isnt it turning on when the pc turns on, is this a bios of the card, my motherboard is totaly up to date as far as it will go. is there a way to flash the bios on the bfg and resolve this issue? if any one has done it and has gotten it to work please let me know... id love to have the card working as it was ment to be instead of having to keep an extra pci card in my pc... thanks LATERS!

Shank

p.s. run on sentences are bad i know LOL
January 28, 2009 8:23:09 PM

i'm having the same problems with my x800 to x1650 upgrade. pc will boot up just fine with the x800, wont post or boot with the x1650. i have a psu that it certified by ati, my pc can run it. the 1650 does work as i put it into an older pc and no probs`
January 28, 2009 8:35:38 PM

Im not totaly sure why an ati card isnt working, my understanding was the design of the 7800gsoc was they were using a very powerful gpu but down scaling it to work in agp even tho its an pci-e designed chip. the whole thing is like taking a porche engine and throwing it in a v-bug. lol i finaly got mine working booting off a pci card but then the pci card burned out and so did the setup. ended up buying an HD 3850 from ati. omg, worth 200 bucks was playing fallout 3 full settings maxed with shadows... i almost cried.... think i can squeeze another year out of this giant blue dell xps gen 1. still kicking strong with 2 gigs of mem, 3.0p4/ht and the hd 3850. id suggest looking at bios updates and seeing if there were any incompatabilities with the bios your using and the card your trying to use. sometimes they make bios updates to deal with those sort of issues but its not as common as it use to be. older comps not everyone was on the same page.
give me an update and maybe we can think it through

Shank
!