Sign in with
Your question

Problems booting with 2 hard drives

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2009 2:09:51 AM

I have two SATA hard drives. Hard drive A has windows XP on it, Hard drive B is just storage. I didn't do anything special when I hooked the HD B up, just plugged it in. They have both been working fine for months.

Yesterday I went to turn the computer on and it won't boot into windows. A blue screen that says HP came up and it gave the options <boot menu> <setup> and <system recovery>. Nothing happened when you clicked system recovery. In setup (bios) it doesn't recognize either of the hard drives. Clicking boot menu it errors out with something along the lines of 'insert boot-able media'.

So for whatever reason I disconnected HD B and turned the computer on. Windows loaded. Ok. So I powered down and reconnected it. It wouldn't load again.

I checked event viewer and there is plug and play error (device blahblahHD B disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal) and then two ftdisk errors. These errors are within seconds of each other and are time stamped for when the computer was booted up without HD B in it for the first time only.

When HD B is plugged in it does power up and I can feel it spinning, so I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

What's going on? How can I fix this? Any help would be much appreciated. Even a direction to head in! Thank you much!
a b G Storage
January 18, 2009 4:40:53 AM

As you didn't post any hardware details...
Try Ultimate Boot CD and run the relevant manufacturers disk configuration & test tools.
!