Sign in with
Your question

For the gamers: Touchpad Gaming?

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences

Can you touchpad-game?

Total: 3 votes (1 blank vote)

• I always use a touchpad for gaming.
  • 0 %
  • I'll use a touchpad - only if a mouse isn't available.
  • 50 %
  • I'm fine with either.
  • 0 %
  • I'll use a mouse - only if a touchpad isn't available
  • 0 %
  • I always use a mouse for gaming.
  • 50 %
January 2, 2013 9:01:58 PM

So most would argue that the gaming experience is obviously better with a mouse. Fine. Does that mean however that it isn't possible to game on a laptop touchpad? I own a Razer Blade with a massive touchpad and on the other hand; an Inspiron 1720 with a tiny miniature touchpad. I don't really see how hard it is to play with a touchpad. It may be the fact that i've gotten used to it, etc - I don't actually know. I always seem to get the "how can you play using that small thing?" from my mates lol

Any experiences from other touchpad gamers out there?

More about : gamers touchpad gaming

January 9, 2013 12:41:51 AM

professorturtle said:
So most would argue that the gaming experience is obviously better with a mouse. Fine. Does that mean however that it isn't possible to game on a laptop touchpad? I own a Razer Blade with a massive touchpad and on the other hand; an Inspiron 1720 with a tiny miniature touchpad. I don't really see how hard it is to play with a touchpad. It may be the fact that i've gotten used to it, etc - I don't actually know. I always seem to get the "how can you play using that small thing?" from my mates lol

Any experiences from other touchpad gamers out there?

I've played lots of games, including MMORPG, first-person shooters, etc. on my laptop (an arguably "gameable" Dell), and I have never used a mouse. I think if you're already a dedicated trackpad user, then you can get nearly the same results a mouse user gets with a normal mouse.

That said, there are a few advantages to using a mouse:
- Precision. Since a mouse will cover a much large space than you'd cover on the trackpad, there's less precision required to get on-target (especially noticeable with games like Combat Arms), so the end result is more precision on-screen.
- Gaming mice. I've never seen a gaming trackpad (nor, for that matter, a gaming trackball made with the pool-ball-sized ball). A gaming mouse has a slew of extra, programmable buttons. This means many common functions can be placed literally at your fingertips. This no-look speed and easy access are a distinct advantage.

But I still prefer to just use my trackpad. Unlike mouse users, I can just plop on the couch, fire it up, and start shooting. :) 

-Gerry
!