Sign in with
Your question

Dos prompt xp

Last response: in Windows XP
June 18, 2010 2:13:59 PM

Hello,

How do i wipe an xp hard drive...I dont have installation cd's, a friend just wants me to wipe the drive before she gets rid of the laptop...I dont want to reinstall anything, my main concern is getting rid of all her data?

More about : dos prompt

June 18, 2010 4:24:36 PM

reformat will wipe more than the personal data, it will wipe the operating system, and the computer will not be especially salable with no operating system.
Why not just go through and erase all the personal files?
June 18, 2010 4:37:22 PM

rmck1980 said:
Hello,

How do i wipe an xp hard drive...I dont have installation cd's, a friend just wants me to wipe the drive before she gets rid of the laptop...I dont want to reinstall anything, my main concern is getting rid of all her data?

I would start in Control Panel>User Accounts and create a new account, calling it User and make it an Administratur account. Restart and go into that login then back in User Accounts, delete the other Users and click to delete their files as well. This method saves a lot of messing around in Documents and Settings. Then, in Control Panel>System, tick to turn off System Restore and in Power Options, also turn off Hibernate. Back to System>Computer Name and change the name and Owner to relfect something neutral - User-PC and User will do then restart again. Uninstall any programmes that may hold personalised data from Add and Remove Programmes.

Download ATF Cleaner from http://www.atribune.org and CCleaner from http://www.piriform.com. Use both to empty everything they can - they will each find things the other does not. One more restart and finally, click My Computer and right click the C:\ drive and click to Tools tab. Click to Defragment the drive and when that's complete, run CCleaner and tick to include "Wipe free space". That reduces to pretty near zero any chances of anyone less than the CIA recovering any data.

The above sounds like a lot of messing around but trust me - it's easier than saving drivers etc. out and reinstalling XP
Related resources
June 18, 2010 5:42:48 PM

You gotta agree with that, especially since he does not have an XP disk.
June 18, 2010 7:28:38 PM

Does she want to sell the laptop, or 'get rid of it' as in junk it? If she's throwing it away, and just wants to erase any trace of information, just pull the drive out, and put a drill through the drive.

You can boot into the command prompt, and use the Format command.

Or, you can use a software like Killdisk.
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
June 19, 2010 3:49:14 AM

rmck1980 said:
Hello,

Haven't read the replies, but if nobody's said it, you should change your bios to boot from a cd and use Boot & Nuke. Make sure to do 3 passes so data isn't recoverable.
!