Sign in with
Your question

Hd stops working at -10c

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2009 3:08:39 PM

drive stoped working at about -10c in my back computer room no heat has to room anyone else had this happen the hard drive works fine now that it heated back up but they are rate to -40 f which is -40c

More about : stops working 10c

a b G Storage
January 18, 2009 5:44:11 PM

Machine spec?
Is -40c the storage temperature or the operating temperature?
How do you know it was the HD that stopped and not something else?
January 18, 2009 8:53:46 PM

removed hard drive and put it in standing esata case and did the same weird transfer rate up and down on mb/s. stoped drive and tried again and same thing i waited about an hour for the drive to get warm in the living room plug it in and bang works fine
but theres a big but put drive back in computer fine until temp drop am using right now it is running with a raptor 74 that works fine same temp
since temps drops have started to act the same thinking of rma
Related resources
January 18, 2009 8:55:57 PM

one thing i am not 100% on is that i am using achi drivers with xp pro sp3 on p5q ich 10 but dont think this is the problem
a b G Storage
January 19, 2009 2:33:35 AM

Very rarely are hard drives rated for that kind of operating temp. For example, the Seagate 7200.12 drives are rated for a nonoperating temperature range of -40 to 70 C, but an operating range of just 0 to 60 C. I wouldn't be surprised if your drives were similar - hard drives don't tend to like the cold while operating.
a c 353 G Storage
January 19, 2009 2:42:22 PM

If Positive it is the drive, RMA it. +10 C (50 F) should not be a problem!

Temp (10C) should be great for Overclocking in winter time, But if no AC summer could be a bummer.
a b G Storage
January 19, 2009 11:21:00 PM

RetiredChief said:
If Positive it is the drive, RMA it. +10 C (50 F) should not be a problem!

Temp (10C) should be great for Overclocking in winter time, But if no AC summer could be a bummer.

10C is somewhat marginal already for hard drives, and the temp in question is actually negative 10 C, not positive, which is definitely out of spec for all Seagate and WD hard drives at least (all of which are rated 0-60 Celsius operating)
a c 353 G Storage
January 20, 2009 2:46:02 PM

cji - MY BAD, didn't chatch NEGATIVE.

Definitely -10 is below spec. Couldn't think of computing in a room at Neg 10 C. The +10C should however be no problem. There is normally a margin when specified 0 C as the lower limit the test are normally conducted at a lower temp so that they can "Guaranty" 0 C.
Worked on a research B-737. We did runway friction test where they sprayed water on a patch of the runway and after it froze we landed on it. This was done in mid Jan at an airfield in Canada. We had no problems with the HDDs, or computers, in the mornings after the plane had set overnight - It was COLD, don't recall whate the temp inside the A/C was, But definitely below +10C.
The HDDs were normal drives that had been flight hardend to absorb the shocks of landing.
a b G Storage
January 20, 2009 6:14:52 PM

Most hard drives will work below 10C, true, but the reliability does drop off rather sharply as it gets colder.
!