Sign in with
Your question

Will DVI to HDMI cable transmit sound to HDTV?

Last response: in Windows XP
June 18, 2010 3:12:25 PM

I have my PC connected to my HDTV with no audio. I have a HDMI port on the back of my HDTV, but only the DVI port on my PC. If I purchase the DVi to HDMI cable, will this transmit audio? I have read some things that say yes, while others say no. HELP!!
June 18, 2010 4:14:17 PM

It depends on which version of DVI, there is more than one version.
m
l
June 19, 2010 2:30:22 AM

I didn't think any version of DVI carried audio.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2010 2:50:38 AM

dmroeder said:
I didn't think any version of DVI carried audio.

I don't think they do.
m
l
June 19, 2010 4:53:55 AM

abercrombie_cn said:
I have my PC connected to my HDTV with no audio. I have a HDMI port on the back of my HDTV, but only the DVI port on my PC. If I purchase the DVi to HDMI cable, will this transmit audio? I have read some things that say yes, while others say no. HELP!!

You may need to visit the manufacturers site to learn more about your video card.

ATI Radeon™ HD video cards will pass HD audio through the DVI/HDMI connector/adapter. See the following link from AMD for requirements/Solution:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/39986-Absenc...
m
l
January 12, 2013 6:32:52 AM

Answer: yes and no

(NO)
If you already know (Standard) dvi and vga Cables do not transmit audio without an audio Cable you would need a DVI to HDMI Video Converter with Audio.

Or

(YES)
If your PC Graphic Card is capable like the (GTX 460 ) of Splitting audio over to DVI theres a cable that transmits audio from one end (DVI) your computer to (HDMI) where you want it displayed.

Im not completely sure about this but im sure there is a way, after all the the cables are made of copper that transmit the data.
m
l
January 12, 2013 7:08:05 AM

Pretty Much If your Graphic Card Saids DVI-I all you would need is a DVI-I Cable and a DVI-I to HDMI Adapter or a Cable with one end DVI-I (Male) to HDMI (Female). Just to be Clear the Male is the pointy pins and Female is the Holes ummmhmmm
m
l
!