I installed the Zalman 9700 LED a few days ago, and they were somewhat high, low 40s idle. I was wondering why it was that high. When I was installing it for the first time, about 5-7 fins got bent because of the PSU wires were up against it, and another couple of fins got bent also because of the wires. I bent back the fins so they don't touch each other. I used to S clip to mount it, but I had to bend it a bit so I could actually screw it on. http://zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=16... I saw that installation video of it, and you can see they put thermal paste all over the CPU and most of the heatsink. I thought that was too much, so I only added thermal paste over the center of the CPU and not the heatsink. Was I supposed to add as much as shown in the installation video, should I try to re-mount the heatsink to see if I can make it fit tighter? Any other ideas I can maybe try to lower the CPU temperature?
Things to check, in order of importance:
- what's your cpu? If you running a 65nm Extreme series Intel processor, I would say you're OK. If your cpu is e8400 and the temperature in your office is around 20C (I am Brazilian, I use metric system, so do the conversion to the bizarre Farenheit scale), I would say you may have something wrong.
- on thermal paste use, you should only use an amount enough to cover completely the cpu, till you can't read anymore what's written on it. Because thermal paste is a worse thermal conductor than pure cooper, you would be reducing your performance if you use to much paste. Check www.Koolance.com on how to apply the thermal paste.
- what's your case? Does it have proper airflow? Does your Zalman have it's exaustion flow pointed towards an exit fan?
- temperature in your office.
- cable management. I suspect we have an issue here as you said cables have bent some fins. Use some inexpensive zip ties and keep cables under control.
- do you have any other massive sources of heat, like two Ultras in Sli or something like it?
That's it. Hope it was helpful.
- I'm running a Q6600, and haven't overclocked yet.
- If you saw the Zalman installation video, they put thermal paste all over the CPU and most of the heatsink, but I only applied it on the the center on the CPU
- I have a Raidmax Smilodon Case. Comes with 3 fans, and I added a HD fan. Yes, the Zalman fan is exhaust, and is blowing to the rear fans and out of the case.
- Well it's summer now and since I live in America, it's around 90F (around 32C).
- Yeah, I tied up my cables, so it's not a problem anymore
- Not running SLI yet.