Missing Windows Desktop Icons and Startup Button

alexzandrya

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I woke up yesterday morning and all I saw was a black screen with my folder icon (which when I clicked on items within was blank!) and the computer icon which only shows my tower. Can I recover my documents, photo's, games, etc??? I am 'computer retarded' and have no clue, please Help!! ~ Lexi

Challenged, not Retarded ! :lol:

Save this article in your favorites/bookmarks so you have it for reference, and also print it out. These are your Vista Recovery options.

System files are obviously corrupted and need to be fixed (restored).
NOTE: This corruption may have been caused by some type of virus / malware on your computer. Hopefully you can get restored, and once you do, run your Anti Virus and Anti Malware scans to detect and remove infections.
Also suggest getting help from a friend who has some knowledge of corrective measures.

There is a virus that causes the user account files to become "hidden". First download and install Malwarebytes, run it to clean out the computer. Then go to the folder options and enable "show hidden files". Go to C:\Users, right click on All Users go to Properties, uncheck the hidden box, apply to all files. Do the same thing for your account also.

If this was the cause of your issue (which it sounds like), all will be back.

alexzandrya

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I did this--thank you, I didn't get it all back but it's functional again :hello: :)