Which sys to put on older P4/4GB Ram

G

Hello,
My old "work" computer is a Pentium 4 (2.8Ghz) with 2GB physical RAM (max amount) installed. Its a Dell Dimension dv051, currently with XP Version 2 SP3. Has some kind of video card which allows 2 monitors.

I want this comp to run faster as I'm not usually using Photoshop anymore, the thing just chugs.

If I were to start from scratch what system would be the speediest? Is W7 really speedier?

If reinstalled XP would it really make a big difference?

Hello,
My old "work" computer is a Pentium 4 (2.8Ghz) with 2GB physical RAM (max amount) installed. Its a Dell Dimension dv051, currently with XP Version 2 SP3. Has some kind of video card which allows 2 monitors.

I want this comp to run faster as I'm not usually using Photoshop anymore, the thing just chugs.

If I were to start from scratch what system would be the speediest? Is W7 really speedier?

If reinstalled XP would it really make a big difference?

XP is the better choice for that setup. Its faster, and it uses less memory. Just a better choice for low resource systems like yours.

G

Thanks Falcon.
Do you think its worth the time to re-write the sys? Does that usually speed up a (severly) bloated comp by like what, at least half?

Thanks again.

Thanks Falcon.
Do you think its worth the time to re-write the sys? Does that usually speed up a (severly) bloated comp by like what, at least half?

Thanks again.

Probably. Clean install is always faster. Thats why people who get new machines or OS always go gaga about how fast their new Computer and/or OS is.