Dead CPU or dead motherboard

myrgjorf

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Expert help needed

My daugther's pc (which used to be mine) has stopped working. I have nailed the problem down to a dead CPU or a dead motherboard. If it's a dead CPU I'll buy a new. If it's a dead motherboard I need a new computer.
Specs: AMD3400+ S939, MSI 7075 MB (oem), DDR400 RAM, Geforce 7800GS AGP. I'd like to reuse the GeForce as it's quite powerfull for her gaming.
Symptoms:
- All connected: fans starts running for ½ second, then PSU cuts off
- No CPU, all else connected: fans keep running
- CPU, 4 pin PSU connector to MB removed, fans keep running.
- RAM removed: same pattern as above.
All peripherials disconnected, another AGP graphics adapter connected.
I can't find another S939 CPU and I don't wnat to buy one if it will not work.

I think it is a dead CPU. Agree? Is the MB damaged?
Should I go the half way with a ASUS P5VDC-X ?

Thanks
Bjarne

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Try PSU first. Only way to tell between CPU & motherboard is by swapping. Check if local computer shop can test for you. If it IS CPU, you can still get Opteron 144 for about 52GBP which is a drop-in replacement, or look on Ebay.

Mike.

myrgjorf

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Thanks all. I forgot to tell that I did try another PSU with exactly the same results. So I'm down to CPU or MB.

Mendoza

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Sounds more like a PSU unit or Motherboard Issue.

CPUs that aren't overclocked by either Intel or AMD run for about 8-10+ years if not more as long as the fan on the cpu is spinning ( lets say dust and pet hair can clog up a fan easily). SO I'd almost 100% rule out the CPU.

Most likely either the PSU capicitors are dead/dying or your motherboards capicitors are dead/dying.

To identify if you motherboard is bad. Go look at the 4 pictures on the right of this page.
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5
The page has a few pictures to identify what bad capicitors look like.

If any of your motherboards capicitors are buldging or leaking fluid. Then its your board. But on a side note you can still find 939 boards (although very limited selection from newegg, tiger direct or zipzoomfly.....and last but not least ebay)

The PSU you can try hooking up a different one and see if the problem persists. But unless you know what you are doing I don't recommend opening up the PSU to look inside to see if its capicitors are dead, only because a PSU can still hold a charge for sometime even after being shut off and unplugged. Gettings zapped by a unhooked up PSU can sux ( i knowz)

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
I would take it to a tech shop and ask em if they can do a post test. 1/2 seconds might not be long enough however to run a post test. A post tester is a little PCI card that can run quick diagnositics and tell a tech the problem. If they try to charge ya I wouldn't pay more then 15 bucks, the post tester is sorta expensive for good ones, but really requires no work from techicians.

That may tell ya where the problem lies.

myrgjorf

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Hi superbigsoft

We decided by buy a gameable laptop for my daughter instead of trying to repair the old one. So I don't know if it was the m/b or the CPU.

TRENDING THREADS