New Idea for a processor fan for overclocking

mtyler7807

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
This is an Idea that I have had for about 4 months and just got around to drawing up the idea. It is four fans connected together in a cube and a top plate to control air flow down towards the processor. I want to do 4 - 4500 rpm fans. I hope the power of a 18000 RPM Fan (4X4500 RPM). One of those fans kick out 54 CFM, then that should be close to 200 CFM. As long as all fans are the same speed and the top plate is on then all the air should be force towards the weakest point which is the processor heatsink. Look at the picture and tell me what you think.

Fans.jpg

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
That's not really what he meant though. I think he meant more of a cooler like the stock cooler, where it pushes the air downward. All fans would push in, and force the air down over the cooler. He's just hoping to get 4 times the airflow.

As for if it would work or not, I'm not really sure. It'd be interesting to see some tests done on it though.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i think he want to cool the processor by forcing the air flow towards the processor(aka brute force cooling method). but OP i want you to know that cooling the actual heatsink is far more efficient then cooling the CPU "itself". because the heatsink will have better thermal conductivity then air.

you havent mention any sort or form of heatsink? you are not going to attempt what i said above are you?

mtyler7807

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

No, I'd take a thermaltake copper heatsink with the 100 thin fins with the fan on top. I would unscrew the fan and attach the fan mod to the top of the heatsink.

szwaba67

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You're wasting a lot of energy by shoving air against itself. Forcing one stream against the other cancels some of that energy, which just means your fans are working against eachother. It will naturally be forced out the open hole (at a reduced speed than the combined theoretical), however, you're going to get a lot of choas at the point where the streams converge. The only benefit I can see is the noise, maybe slower fans with air against air would make a less annoying sound than one high speed fan. Could be good for the silent PC crowd, but I wouldn't count on OCers to jump on it.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
well with added air ducting so that each fan only blows air onto 1/4 of the heat sink may help in cutting down on noise when the stream converges.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Just a thought... there are lots of companies with lots of engineers and lots of resources to develope and refine CPU coolers... You are really not likely to come up with (and be able to build suitably) something better then those guys for near the cost. They are able to amertize their R&D costs through the volume of units sold. By the time you work the kinks out (assuming you'll be able to manufacture this with as much quality control as you would like) you are going to spend mega amounts of money.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i would call this design a total failure.because there is nowhere for the "waste" air to escape hence it will "block" the airflow and create a equal pressure inside the cube hence no air movement.

szwaba67

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Ah, but the fact of the matter is we're not talking about trying to create a 45nm processor here. If a kid can make Halo weapons out of cardboard I think mtyler can slap a few fans together.

mtyler7807

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

The waste air exit out of the sides of the heatsink. The cube sits on top of the heatsink not around the heatsink.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
the problem i see with this is that there would be a lot of airflow issues within the middle of the device. the air is being pulled in and pushed out in so many directions, and after a certain point, the air just can't actually go anywhere.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I like how no one is addressing my points. Complex R&D... not quick, not cheap, not easy. If the purpose is to increase an OC, you would be better off spending that money on a higher end CPU, leave the stock cooler and get a better result out of that for less $$$. =)

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
alright now i see what you mean.

since you are having high noises why dont you make a duct where you can put 120mm high speed fan(those delta ones) and achieve the same cfm but possibly lower noises.:)

mtyler7807

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

All Fans are faced inward. So all air flow is inward. There will be a top plate to prevent air from going up and the heatsink will be at the bottom which show be the only way for the air to go.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
It sounds to me like you are convinced this is a good idea. The logical extention of that is to do it and see what happens. My guess is that you will see a lesser result then if you went out and got a good cooler from a reputable company. Only one way to find out though. Post back and let us know what happed.

mtyler7807

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

I got 10 - 4500rpm 80mm fans from a auction for 30 bucks. It would take 1 hour to construct the Mod. Not much money or time involved.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Then I only have 1 hour (plus the testing time) to see if you are right. What is this in comparason to? Stock cooler? Overclocks involved? Boredom?

mtyler7807

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Okay, I'll post back

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

Usually small fans = loud fans... especially if they are moving fast and pumping out lots of CFM.

It's not going to work. Once the air has cooled the cpu heat sink, where is it going to go? Right back to the inputs. Without exiting the case, the hot air will just recirculate, getting hotter and hotter. For maximum cooling, get a high cfm (130) fan that pushes air through a tower heat sink and out the back of the case.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i think there are enough people that agree the idea wont work.

for cooling you need FLOW of air not bunch of air pushes each other which is what you idea is all about. i think the air thats coming out of the cube will be smaller then just a single fan that blows at a single direction.

TRENDING THREADS