Sign in with
Your question

I am a newbie with many questions.

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2008 5:30:03 PM

Hey, I'm new here. This looks like an awesome place for a n00b like myself to learn! I hope this is the right forum to post this thread in. This place is huge and and it's making my head spin with all the sub-forums. lol. Anyway, on to my Q's.

I plan to build my first computer in the coming months. I intend to do plenty of studying, and I figure I'll start it here. I have a few questions that I hope some of you vets at building PC's can answer for me. I've posted these questions on a couple other forums, and I'm posting them here as well to get some different answers and opinions.

Before I get started with my questions, I should probably note that I am going for the best and highest grade parts. Money is not an option to me. I'm going to be really splurging on myself for the first time in my life with this rig.

I plan to do some SERIOUS gaming on this rig. As well as music and video editing. Plenty of multi-tasking. I'm also going to be going hi-def with this rig. 1080p monitor, surround sound, etc. And I also wanna go the wireless route with the mouse and keyboard. I really wanna make this thing future proof. I want to build the BEST rig now, and not have to worry about upgrading it for at LEAST a couple years.

With all that said, I'll get to my questions. Please be kind as I am a n00b and realize I will probably seem stupid at times. I'm just trying to learn.

Oh, almost forgot, I will be overclocking, and I do want SLI.

1. Is the 9800GX2 going to be the fastest and most powerful graphics card when it comes out?

2. Is the Q9650 the best and most powerful CPU out? Is there anything slated to be more powerful coming within the year?

3. What is the BEST motherboard to go with the Q9650 and 9800GX2? Whether it's out now or coming within the next couple of months.

4. What is the best sound card currently out or coming out within the next couple of months?

5. DDR3 RAM is the best(in terms of performance), right?

6. Who makes/what is the best DDR3 RAM on the market now or coming out within the next couple of months?

7. How much RAM should I get? I'm thinking 4GB... Would going any higher then that increase my speed even more, or would it bog down the system like I hear it can?

8. Finally, anything else I should know before I start my build? All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for reading my topic. I hope I haven't seemed too stupid. I await you folks replies!

More about : newbie questions

January 30, 2008 5:35:17 PM

1. We don't know, if you ask 10 people 5 will say yes and 5 will say no. We will know when nVidia releases solid information on it and it is benchmarked by 3rd Party Sources.

2. The QX9650 is a top performer, but not is beaten by the QX9770. Within a year more top end CPUs will come out as well as Nehalem (which may or may not take the crown.. more than likely will). Don't wait a year because of that.

3. 780i (DDR2) or 790i (DDR3) in Q208 if you want do to SLI. (9800 GX2 will work on any Mobo, but to run 2 of them (quad SLI) you need an SLI motherboard).

4. ...Onboard? :kaola: 

5. Yes.

6. Subjective. Most motherboards can't push DDR3 as high as DDR3 has been able to be pushed. Solid manufacturers include Patriot, G.Skill, Corsair, Crucial, etc.

7. 2x2GB sticks. Better for cooling.

8. This is going to cost a ton of money and you might as well watercool it and overclock the hell out of it. Also in Q2/3 08 the new G100s and RV770s should be ready to come out. The 9800 GX2 is a "transition card" and I would *NOT* advise in investing in two of them (I wouldn't even invest in one).
January 30, 2008 5:50:29 PM

I agree except for one thing: I think a SB X-Fi will beat out onboard. However, you will be using some valuable real-estate by taking up one of your PCI slots. You may have to sacrifice SLI for sound if that's what you want, but I think the performance gains from SLI make up for the (very slight) loss in performance and probably some quality by using onboard sound.
Related resources
January 30, 2008 5:57:43 PM

Fast ?....I know you said you plan on having the rig last a few years......but what is your budget?

Only reason I ask it is sometimes easier to not by the high end now and just every other year swap out a new component. Like myself everytime I build a new rig I plan on putting in a new video card in 1-2 years and same with CPU. So instead of blowing tons now you save a few hundred and just upgrade every other year.

If budget is no issue then go to town.
January 30, 2008 6:00:35 PM

You say that price is not a concern but unless your last name is Gates or Buffett price is always a concern. I could suggest a $8000-$9000 system and you can get 95% of the performance from a $3000 system. With that said I agree with what cnumartyr wrote except I would go with either the Yorkfield Q9450 or Q9550 when they are released (within the next month or two).

As for a sound card you need some high quality speakers to take advantage of them otherwise if your only using cheap speakers then I wouldn't waste the money.
January 30, 2008 6:02:45 PM

Also as far as sound goes. If you get a board with a good HD onboard codec it can cover you for awhile. I have 3 PCs at my house. 1 with X-FI fatality, 1 with X-FI Xtrememusic, and the 3rd PC uses a newer Realtek HD onboard codec.

and to be honest the newer HD codec onboard does sound really strong. Only in a few games ( and I do mean FEW) do I notice the sound on my X-FI's being better then the High Def onboard. Also with any high end Core 2 Duo/or Athlon the CPU hit for having it do the sound is mininimal.
January 30, 2008 6:02:52 PM

Budget is NOT an issue. I mean, I'm not going to go completely overboard and spend $10,000 on the rig, but you get what I'm saying.

And thanks for the help so far people!
January 30, 2008 6:08:03 PM

There is no such thing as "Future Proof".
The best system you build today will be smoked in 6months by a cheaper build.

The Nehalm will be out Q4 this year and destroy any current chips.
The GPUs will be out Q2/Q3 this year.

You can dbl the cost of the PC to get 5% improvement in performance.
Or you can Sell and Upgrade every year and always have a good computer.

Overspending now just so your PC can be slower than much cheaper models in 6months is not always the best.

It's better to find the Best Bang for your buck on the upper side of quality. Going all out does not make alot of sense.
January 30, 2008 6:33:08 PM

Malice187 said:
Budget is NOT an issue. I mean, I'm not going to go completely overboard and spend $10,000 on the rig, but you get what I'm saying.

And thanks for the help so far people!

What is a "Reasonable Budget?" $1500? $2500? $3500? That would give folks an idea.

Remember, Most folks here could put together a dang good system for $1000-$1250.

A Good Sample Build Right now would be a

Q6600 CPU ($275)
780i Motherboard ($300)
Dual 8800 GT 512MB cards. ($500)
8GB of DDR2-800 RAM ($200)
Vista 64-bit ($125)
Good PSU - $150
Good Case - $100
Some Good HDD Drives - $300
--------------------------
Comes to about $1950 and I overshot most of the prices and this would be a very good system.

Wannt Upgrade? Dual 8800 GTS 512MB cards for $600

Not Good Enough?
Wait 45 Days and Get the next Gen Penryn Quad Cores.
January 30, 2008 6:46:38 PM

A budget is everything…

SSD would make this thing smoking fast; we all want them I am sure. With a $4000 price tag I am thinking most won’t purchase them.

I would think 3500-5k will make you an extreme machine; the same machine will cost 1k after 6 months use… (Not counting monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers)

Give us a price range…
January 30, 2008 8:39:37 PM

Mendoza said:
Fast ?....I know you said you plan on having the rig last a few years......but what is your budget?

Only reason I ask it is sometimes easier to not by the high end now and just every other year swap out a new component. Like myself everytime I build a new rig I plan on putting in a new video card in 1-2 years and same with CPU. So instead of blowing tons now you save a few hundred and just upgrade every other year.

If budget is no issue then go to town.

If that's the route then AM2+ would be best
January 30, 2008 8:47:00 PM

sedaine said:

January 30, 2008 8:48:03 PM

sedaine said:

Why the hell would you use AM2+ for an extreme system. I mean really. An decently overclocked Phenom has competition with a Q6600 stock (not even 3.6). Not even going to mention an overclocked Penryn.

OP: atm, dont bother with AMD.

@sedaine:...... :pfff:  :pfff: 
January 30, 2008 9:08:57 PM

to sedaine-- what about the new pentium 4 chips i hear they're HOOOT! hahah

(this is funny b/c of the implied sarcasm AND the fact that the prescotts served as mobile heaters for some odd years!)
January 30, 2008 9:10:57 PM

yeah stay with intel cpu, and don't bother with SSD really expensive and and very little storage. you can get an 500gb OEM harddrive for about $100 or so
January 30, 2008 9:11:35 PM

@crazy.....raptors much????
January 30, 2008 9:42:47 PM

To the OP-- I created this for you.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWis...

just go to the bottom and select 'add to cart' then pay. enjoy. that is the best of the best out right now.

I would suggest going to Danger Den and buy enough supplies to run a small loop for the processor only, get the mc tdx cpu block, a thermochill radiator and a pump of your liking and oc that quad like its noones bussiness.

I am serious about this rig being the best..if you have the money for it. Please let us know what you decide on--and i welcome any comments on my selection.
January 30, 2008 9:45:16 PM

^^^^ echo...you cant access the wishlist.

:p 
January 30, 2008 9:53:17 PM

@ silver

Yeah sorry about that, try again, you should be able to now.
January 30, 2008 9:58:26 PM

My take. Similar to most:
Q9550 $500+
x38 Motherboard
SINGLE 8800 GT 512MB.
4GB of DDR2-1066 RAM $150
Vista 64-bit ($125)
Good PSU - $150
Good Case - $100
Some Good HDD Drives - $300
January 30, 2008 10:04:07 PM

enewmen reminded me that i did not add vista to that list. you need that too.
January 30, 2008 10:07:12 PM

You also forgot WCing
January 30, 2008 10:11:46 PM

1. Is the 9800GX2 going to be the fastest and most powerful graphics card when it comes out?
Fastest, but not significatly the fastest. Anything that costs more than a 8800GT/3870 gets very expensive with only modest speed gains. Much better cards will come out at the end of the year.

2. Is the Q9650 the best and most powerful CPU out? Is there anything slated to be more powerful coming within the year?
The Q9450 can be overclocked well and is much cheaper. This CPU should last a good long time.

3. What is the BEST motherboard to go with the Q9650 and 9800GX2? Whether it's out now or coming within the next couple of months.
I suggest the x38. I don't know as much about nVidia mobos.

4. What is the best sound card currently out or coming out within the next couple of months?
Don't bother unless you need a specific card. The build-in sound boards are getting good.

5. DDR3 RAM is the best(in terms of performance), right?
Forget about DDR3 for at least a year. They will only show a performance gain when the FSB bottleneck is fixed with the new Nehalem CPUs and Socket LGA1366 comes out. DDR2 1066 is good for now.

6. Who makes/what is the best DDR3 RAM on the market now or coming out within the next couple of months?
I said forget it.. ;) 

7. How much RAM should I get? I'm thinking 4GB... Would going any higher then that increase my speed even more, or would it bog down the system like I hear it can?
4 Gigs is a good amount of RAM for Vista 64. Overkill for XP. Only get more than 4 gigs if you KNOW you need it.

8. Finally, anything else I should know before I start my build? All suggestions are welcome!
Worry more about the PSU, Case, keyboard/mouse, and monitor. Because they will out-live the rest of the system.
January 30, 2008 10:32:04 PM

Geez...all the work. haha.

the mc-tdx waterblock for cpu- $59.95

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=29...

thermochill rad- $119.99 (just put this on bottom of case)

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=20...

d5 pump- $91.45

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=17...

fillport resevoir- $14.95 add a delrin fillport at bottom for $10.95

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=19...

7 ft of tygon tubing- @ $2.80 a ft.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=17...

and some fluid xp-$29.95

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=31...

Oh and I almost forgot this as well--

shin etsu thermal compound- $5.00 Put this between the processor and the waterblock!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIN-ETSU-MICROSI-THERMAL-GREASE-CO...

so all in all, with the original newegg config, vista 64 bit, and the danger den supplies--you are up to

about $6540.00.... awesome!

*and as a note--I would put two of the scythe fans from the newegg order on this radiator, and put two of them in the two lower slots on the door (arm) of the case to cool the gpu's.
January 31, 2008 2:47:43 AM

I personally love the nvidia motherboards, especially from evga. Best service, great products.

1. Motherboard EVGA 780i or 790i which is coming out soon.

2. Sound card - xfi extreme gamer

3. Processor - core 2 quad q6600, this thing overclocks like a dream.

4. Ram - ddr2 memory, don't bother with ddr3. Its more expensive with no benefit. Also don't worry about fancy ram with heatsinks and all that. I have Corsair's dominator with the fancy finned heatsink. It was shown even overclocked that ram is one of the coolest running components of the computer. hard drives and chipsets run warming then ram does, so no use for the heatsinks as long as you have descent air flow.

5. For a video card go with the 8800gt, cooler quieter and less expensive for the great performance, especially in a
sli configuration if you want that.

6. You wont need anymore then 2gb of ram in todays computers. I don't even think xp will address anything more then 3gb anyway. And gaming tests prove that 2gb is where any sort of performance gain end especially with gaming.

7. Case - The Antec 900 gaming case is the greatest case i've ever used. The cooling powers of it with 4 huge fans and a giant top case fan is outstanding. I love everything about that case. perfect!

8. The power supply is important, go with at least 600 watts or so from a well known vendor, price is not the object here its quality. I personally really like corsair power supply's.

Trust me I tried water cooling, I found no benefits to it. Today's core 2 processors run so cool, it literally didn't matter even at my extreme overclock if I used water or a good after market cpu cooler like zalman 7900. The radiator I got even made more noise, a weird sort of humming. it's also a whole lot more work to put it. I wouldn't advice that for someone who is new.

I would also recommend Windows xp for the time being. Sp3 is coming out soon, so avoid that headache which is vista for a bit longer. I give it another year or so it may be ready for prime time.
January 31, 2008 3:00:11 AM

Your extreme overclock was to 3.05 GHz? /golfclap

There are so many things wrong with the above post... I don't even know where to begin.

1. Yes

2. Ok.

3. Not even what he asked.

4. Not what he asked.

5. Again, he didn't ask about value and budget cards.

6. Really? I didn't know that </sarcasm>

7. Meh.. it's ok, not good for WC.

8. Agreed, but since he wants to do quad SLI possibly I'd go with more than 600W.

I won't even touch your comparison of how watercooling didn't perform better than a Zalman 7900. Wait.. I will. Did you mess up the install or what? Seriously.

Edit: What's the RAM "OC'd" to? 904 MHz? 1126 MHz?
January 31, 2008 3:08:14 AM

cnumartyr said:

Pfff. You don't know? Why OC'd past DDR3 speeds of course!
January 31, 2008 3:14:13 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Pfff. You don't know? Why OC'd past DDR3 speeds of course!

Of course, because DDR3 is a scam to make money by charging us more for no performance improvement.

Edit: BENCHMARKS ARE LIES. Uh oh, I gotta watch it, my AMD is showing.
January 31, 2008 3:16:10 AM

cnumartyr said:
Of course, because DDR3 is a scam to make money by charging us more for no performance improvement.

Edit: BENCHMARKS ARE LIES. Uh oh, I gotta watch it, my AMD is showing.

Heh. You're catching along real nice. Keep it up! :sol: 
January 31, 2008 3:17:04 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Heh. You're catching along real nice. Keep it up! :sol: 

Get the net in your room.

Get CoD4.

Join me, Wirelessfender, and (eventually) Silverion77 on vent for CoD4 MP.

Edit: AXERAM IS BACK AT THE EGG! I might have to pick up 2 more GB.
January 31, 2008 3:19:21 AM

cnumartyr said:
Get CoD4.

I failed right there.
January 31, 2008 3:20:28 AM

yeah I do have a raptor, and I don't think it is very beneficial either. SSD will be the future, they are just too expensive right now
January 31, 2008 3:27:30 AM

echofoxtrot said:
To the OP-- I created this for you.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWis...

just go to the bottom and select 'add to cart' then pay. enjoy. that is the best of the best out right now.

I would suggest going to Danger Den and buy enough supplies to run a small loop for the processor only, get the mc tdx cpu block, a thermochill radiator and a pump of your liking and oc that quad like its noones bussiness.

I am serious about this rig being the best..if you have the money for it. Please let us know what you decide on--and i welcome any comments on my selection.

Good list but the Stacker 832 is about $110 after rebate, changing that will save him about $150 which would bring it down to about $6,390. lol.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 31, 2008 3:42:03 AM

cnumartyr said:
Your extreme overclock was to 3.05 GHz? /golfclap

There are so many things wrong with the above post... I don't even know where to begin.

1. Yes

2. Ok.

3. Not even what he asked.

4. Not what he asked.

5. Again, he didn't ask about value and budget cards.

6. Really? I didn't know that </sarcasm>

7. Meh.. it's ok, not good for WC.

8. Agreed, but since he wants to do quad SLI possibly I'd go with more than 600W.

I won't even touch your comparison of how watercooling didn't perform better than a Zalman 7900. Wait.. I will. Did you mess up the install or what? Seriously.

Wow, some people are just rude. i was offering my opinion. why was it necessary to bash me now?

If we were dealing with the pentium 4's that ran at hundreds of watts and would melt your computer tower if it didn't have a cooling tower built in I could see your point. But for c2d or quads's as someone who had water cooling installed for 8 months, I see no point to it. There were no cooler temps then my zalman 9700. No greater overclocking either.

As for the overclocking, 3.0 ghz is being conservative. I could get it at 3.5 ghz or whatever, why push it all the time when there is no need? 600mhz for an everday over clock with rock solid stability is good enough for me.

So, have anything else nasty you would like to say?

So what is your impressive system then, care to show a screen shot of cpuid with 3.89ghz running prime 95 for 24 hours? Its easy to make up numbers, I could just say 4 ghz couldn't I?

I wasn't posting this for you, I was posting it for someone who wrote, "I am a newbie with many questions" so why dont you keep yoru nasty comments to yourself. I am sure we all would appreciate. That is unless your just a troll, then go find some where else to play.
January 31, 2008 3:48:06 AM

crazywheels said:
yeah I do have a raptor, and I don't think it is very beneficial either. SSD will be the future, they are just too expensive right now

Yeah I had a raptor 150 as well. I honestly didn't see any sort of performance difference. Also the thing is really loud, it was by far the loudest thing in my computer. The only way I did see a real world difference is when I did a hdtach benchmark.

I went to a 500gb seagate, amazing how quiet my computer is now.
January 31, 2008 5:51:09 AM

What's the problem experts? Malice isn't asking for anything difficult or complex..

If Malice wants to spend a lot, I have some ideas that will go a long way. If he really wants what he asked for, people can do this as well.
January 31, 2008 9:15:35 AM

cranbers said:
Wow, some people are just rude. i was offering my opinion. why was it necessary to bash me now?

If we were dealing with the pentium 4's that ran at hundreds of watts and would melt your computer tower if it didn't have a cooling tower built in I could see your point. But for c2d or quads's as someone who had water cooling installed for 8 months, I see no point to it. There were no cooler temps then my zalman 9700. No greater overclocking either.

As for the overclocking, 3.0 ghz is being conservative. I could get it at 3.5 ghz or whatever, why push it all the time when there is no need? 600mhz for an everday over clock with rock solid stability is good enough for me.

So, have anything else nasty you would like to say?

So what is your impressive system then, care to show a screen shot of cpuid with 3.89ghz running prime 95 for 24 hours? Its easy to make up numbers, I could just say 4 ghz couldn't I?

I wasn't posting this for you, I was posting it for someone who wrote, "I am a newbie with many questions" so why dont you keep yoru nasty comments to yourself. I am sure we all would appreciate. That is unless your just a troll, then go find some where else to play.

Sorry I don't need to prove anything to you. If you bothered to check out the OC section you'd know all about my setup and see all the screen shots. I'm not being nasty, I just don't let the "newbie" get told what to do by someone who doesn't know.

Feel free to get 3.5 GHz on your Zalman 9700 and post a screen shot of your 24 hour Prime95 though.

Also, if you got no difference in temps from going Watercooling versus a Zalman then you did something wrong. I have a TRUE 120X and it performs better than the Zalman and WCing destroys my TRUE. Or did you use one of those "Reservator" or something like that kits that don't work anyway.

Edit: But since you obviously have a stick up your ass the very least I can do is give you the 3D Mark SS.

Enjoy. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, it's pretty obvious I did. It's just funny that a lot of people probably agree with me about what I said, I just don't sugar coat it. I'll just tell you how it is.

Edit2: Feel free to post your 3.5 GHz Prime95, since in another thread you said you are hitting 70C at load on the Zalman.

Oh, and here's 10 Hours:

Believe it or not I don't do 24 hours of Small FFT. I've been OCing for a bit and for the most part I've found 8 hours of Small FFT to be the sweet spot and 12 hours of Blend. I haven't had any stability problems yet and it's been chuggin hard for 2 months at 3.6 GHz.

Also, 32 Bit XP can address 4 GB of RAM. Some of it gets tied up in the Video Card. 64 Bit XP can address much more. If you'd like to post some DDR3 vs DDR2 Benchmarks feel free. I'd love to see the Synthetic Read/Write that will show DDR3 as the scam it is.
January 31, 2008 9:35:14 AM

cnumartyr said:
Get the net in your room.

Get CoD4.

Join me, Wirelessfender, and (eventually) Silverion77 on vent for CoD4 MP.

Edit: AXERAM IS BACK AT THE EGG! I might have to pick up 2 more GB.

Hey sorry....its not my fault I actually do something besides games :kaola: 
January 31, 2008 9:39:45 AM

Silverion77 said:
Hey sorry....its not my fault I actually do something besides games :kaola: 

Hey now, watch it. Some of us have jobs. :kaola: 
January 31, 2008 9:41:23 AM

cnumartyr said:
Hey now, watch it. Some of us have jobs. :kaola: 

O right, your home at 3:30-4 and then play games...thats when I get home from school and thats without Homework :( 
January 31, 2008 9:42:15 AM

Silverion77 said:
O right, your home at 3:30-4 and then play games...thats when I get home from school and thats without Homework :( 

And on Mon/Wed I go to class, and I go out on Fridays... It's not my fault my job is awesome. :kaola: 
January 31, 2008 9:42:56 AM

lol, sit around and play solitaire

Edit: I gotta head out, be on steam later like usual
January 31, 2008 9:45:28 AM

Silverion77 said:
lol, sit around and play solitaire

Edit: I gotta head out, be on steam later like usual

I know the school bus comes early..
January 31, 2008 10:06:16 AM

Most people dont have High amout of money. But Most of us have Upper high end systems.

Best idea is go Upper Mid to high range systems it will cost around $2,000. But in a few years it can be upgrade to another upper high end system unless Intel or Amd (Yuck, Choaks Plucks.) change sockets. Yuck in Amd. for they are low end cpus.

If you make a system that can support dual core and quad core. Intel. That a plus. SLI and such two grapics card that a plus.

Basicly you can add one high end dual core and one high end grapics card and have a good system. And add upper mid range Ram.

And upper Mid range Hard drive.

You will have a system that ran great and can be upgraded.

To Quad core cpu. Hopefuly that will support programs that use 2 or more cores at a time.. Grapics cards that can work together better and make system fasters. Solid state drives Hopefuly they have more space or use solidstate hybrad drives to help in speed.

Right now Quad core is useless.
January 31, 2008 10:27:57 AM

Just have to say this to cnumartyr. Stupid people like you who over clock system are the ones that cry like little girls who had there candy taken away when they have a overclock system that burn out. Or when you watch Cops and have a Big Man of any race cry like a little baby Girl Then blame anyone other then them selfs for there own Actions.

I rather have this guy get help in a good system that last a few years that can upgrade at a good price. Then some moron like your self giving wrong ideas to someone who new to the forum. Then listen to the new guy go My computer fried in a week wtf happen.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2008 10:44:48 AM

So is daddy buying all these computer parts for you.....

Or am I missing the point...

If this is his first build, i would buy an old crapper off ebay - take it appart and put it back together to see if it worked again first...

If it didnt then go and buy one from a company

anyway why pay for a top processor when the speed of the chip is overkill.... get a quad 9300 with a 1333 or wait for a 1600 bus series and overclock it

youll save hundreds and the speed of it will run all you want and a lot more.

its like whats the point of makeing a car go 160 miles or even 200 an hour when the speed limits 70 or in US case 55, it is - isnt it?

Most of the people seem to be getting excited about all the kit your "going" to buy but the fundemental flaw is you have never built one before and if you are going to spend all this money you could damage some of it.....

If you are going to build it and good luck if you are - ask someone who is computer litterate ( a good techie would be advisable and not a teenager who got lucky a couple of times), ring around and see if someone will help you ( for a fee of course )

Remember folks computers like air flow so use cable ties - not rubber bands to tie back power leads once built and tested.

for the sake of a couple of dollars it can make the machine last longer

its important to make effort in building it right inside and out....

a b à CPUs
January 31, 2008 10:44:53 AM

Dam refresh button
January 31, 2008 10:51:23 AM

Atolsammeek said:
Just have to say this to cnumartyr. Stupid people like you who over clock system are the ones that cry like little girls who had there candy taken away when they have a overclock system that burn out. Or when you watch Cops and have a Big Man of any race cry like a little baby Girl Then blame anyone other then them selfs for there own Actions.

I rather have this guy get help in a good system that last a few years that can upgrade at a good price. Then some moron like your self giving wrong ideas to someone who new to the forum. Then listen to the new guy go My computer fried in a week wtf happen.

I'm glad you are able to make such solid assumptions about me. Have you ever overclocked? Do you have any personal experience with it? Or is it just one of those things that you assume is unsafe or that you've heard of people complaining because they did something stupid?

Here's some info for ya. 65nm Intel Max Spec for Voltage is 1.5vCore, 1.6v PLL, and 1.55 VTT. Intel Max Thermal Spec for a Q6600 is 71.4C Tcase. Incase you are wondering none of my 24/7 settings are over Intel specs.

Grats on your ignorant arrogance though. I'm glad you think you know anything about me.

To the OP: OCing isn't dangerous when done properly and within limits. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no experience with it or just listens to what people who don't know what they are doing tells them. I do agree with Hellboy about this being your first build.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2008 1:20:08 PM

cnumartyr said:
I'm glad you are able to make such solid assumptions about me. Have you ever overclocked? Do you have any personal experience with it? Or is it just one of those things that you assume is unsafe or that you've heard of people complaining because they did something stupid?

Here's some info for ya. 65nm Intel Max Spec for Voltage is 1.5vCore, 1.6v PLL, and 1.55 VTT. Intel Max Thermal Spec for a Q6600 is 71.4C Tcase. Incase you are wondering none of my 24/7 settings are over Intel specs.

Grats on your ignorant arrogance though. I'm glad you think you know anything about me.

To the OP: OCing isn't dangerous when done properly and within limits. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no experience with it or just listens to what people who don't know what they are doing tells them. I do agree with Hellboy about this being your first build.

Im backing you on this one too Cnumarty,

Above all AtolSammeek, Tomshardware is an enthusiastic web site for enthusiasts. And Overclocking is part of that culture............

If you dont overclock AtolSammeek that is totally up to you, but dont flame people on here who clearly KNOW what theyre talking about.......and not pre-empt them in away of removing peoples respect and knowledge on things that clearly you know nothing about as your colouring book is clearly coloured within the lines...... and not gone over the edge...

Going over the edge, my friend makes everything worth while and interesting, and clearly when you look at computers, they have to be some of the most boring things on the planet....

CNUMARTY has been a guy ( i asume hes a guy, but this is the modern world ) that has contributed to this forum and has made it what it is, a information database of factual answers to questions, where clearly there are some issues you have to deal with within your bounder.
!