15K fast HDD with the A8NSLI deluxe mobo?

omaha

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hi, is it possible to use a seagate cheetah 15k drive or a maxtor 15k or a fujitsu 15k drive on the A8n SLI deluxe mobo?

If not, is there an adaptor, or is my mobo just too old?

I need a decent 300gig hdd, and wanted something a bit faster than the standard seagate 3500320as

Sorry if this is an easy question, i am a noob!

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
If you want to run one drive only you could buy an old PCI Adaptec SCSI U160 card off of ebay - there's loads of them about and they cost little. I run Windows off of a Fujitsu 15K drive using this setup and it's extremely fast.

However, it is a little more hassle than using SATA - you'll need to get a SCSI cable and perhaps an adaptor, depending in which adaptor your drive has. Not to mention that 15K drives are expensive (unless you buy them off of ebay).

Are you sure you need the extra speed?

If you're NOT loading huge files from the harddrive, it is USELESS getting a fast drive. A few seconds is NOT going to be noticed. Even then, it's better to use raid drives. Few use the fast AND raided drives, but's that's an extreme and only noticed by using extremely large files....alot.

omaha

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
My problem is i play a lot of poker,and have HUGE postgres sql databases. WHen they get vacuumed, clustered and analysed, it takes an hour or two. Also, my databases are only a million or two hands atm, but will get much bigger, very soon.

I am tossing up between getting three raptors and raid0 them, but then saw the speeds of the cheetahs and the 15k drives on the charts here.

So, yep, i do need a speed increase beyond what the average gamer uses, and am interested in my options.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

I disagree.

If you're loading lots of small files random access speed is doubly important. And a few seconds is pretty important to me if I'm sitting there watching Windows load. Also, there is a lot of debate about the real-world difference that RAID really makes for the desktop.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
SAS 15k Drive are sure really fast. There will be a new Seagate 15K6 soon.

But, have a look at http://www.fusionio.com/
A SAS 15k drive will be slow compare to that.

byrddogg77

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I think the Raptor drivers are outdated. The new Seagates drives run as fast and faster than the Raptors in some cases. Why spend more money on louder, slower, over priced drive?

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
It is true that Raptor are quite old tech and todays SATA HDD are not bad. The new Seagate SATA 7200.11 are well rated. They are cheap and you get a very good ratio performance/price/GB.

SAS 10k and 15k are more business level.

omaha

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I have just got a seagate 720.11, but am thinking of wating a few months and see how i go from there.

Might raid0 3 raptors (i will be able to recreate the dbs from the other drive if it fails)

The ssd look brilliant, but the problem is i) new technology is always $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. ii) I would need a massive one as well!

Get 3 seagate barracuda hard drives and RAID 5 it. NEVER DO RAID 0. hard drive dies you will lose everything! With raid 5 if a drive dies you can rebuild the raid. Don't do RAID 0 you'll regret it later!

Do some research on RAID 5 and what you need for it. SATA should be fine.

If you need SCSI you are looking at a lot of money. You might as well get a server. I really like the poweredge 840 from Dell. We have it at work. It has enough room for 4 drives and has SAS support. SAS is basicly SATA but SCSI. SAS stands for serial attached scsi. It's the newer version and probably more of what you'd want.

Hope this helps some.

Seagate also has a 5 year warranty.

SAS/SCSI is more for heavy file read/writes. Primarily for databases with 50 users or more.

SAS drives are nice but they have a short life span. If you get 15k drives you should make 4 drives a priority and RAID 5. so if one drive fails you still got room for one more drive failing. It'll give you time to replace the drive and not worry about another drive failing and losing everything.

You cannot mix RPM drives in a raid. You cannot get 10k drives and mix 15k drives and mix 7.2k drives. That doesn't work. That will not RAID properly.