Help: M2N32-SLI Delux.. I think dead

tontoirl

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
Hi.
I just went to power up my PC and nothin :cry:
Don't know if there any beeps 'cos I dont have PC speaker...

Well.. kinda nothin.. It powered up for about 1 sec.. then nothin'..

So I changed the PSU, same thing..

Then took out all the cards (except for one grfx card) and unpluged all the USB stuff, still nothin'

One of the USB ports on the back of the mobo stopped working about 2 months ago and then the microphone input seemed to have lost amplification...

One other thing will the new AM2+ boards take my X2 4200

Thanks for any help

TonyM

SYSTEM:
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ with Scythe Ninja PLUS Rev. B (not overclocked)
ASUStek M2N32-SLI-DELUX
2x nVidia gForce 7600GS
2x 1.0GB Crucial PC5300
2x WDC Raptor 74.4GB
2x NEC AD-7173 DVD±RW dual layer
Antec P180 case with FPS 500w bluestorm PSU

chaynz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I've this board, and I had it not power up a couple of times....

When you turn it on, I assume the fans/hard drives/cd roms/etc... all come on, but there is no beep or post, correct?

Start with the basics: Remove EVERY device except for the Power supply, CPU, RAM, and a video card. YOU NEED A PC SPEAKER!!! GO FIND ONE, ANY 4-pin (98% of them!) WILL WORK!!!

This board is picky about memory. If you only have 1 stick of memory, try another stick (ddr2-667mhz or higher; the cheap stuff [Corsair Value Select] works great!) If you have more modules, remove all but one, try it. If nothing, then swap it with another just in case it's the bad one. If you leave ALL the ram out, does it beep a code to you?

Video cards. I assume that you only have a PCI-Express card. Try it in the other slot. If that's no good, try a good old PCI video card. There was a certain older BIOS revision that had problems with video cards being in the bottom PCI-E slot... If you leave NO video card attached, does it beep at you?

Lastly, take the CPU out (since you're probably going to have to do this anyways by this point) and see if it beeps. if it beeps, it's a problem either with the power section to the CPU, the BIOS ID of the CPU (wrong FSB), or the CPU itself (rare). If it doesn't, then the board has suffered a severe power section failure or a BIOS corruption.

And, yes, AM2+ boards are reverse compatible with AM2 (and theoretically vice-versa with proper BIOS support), so your 4200+ will work just fine. Personally, since the board is fried, and the CPU isn't even worth $50 now, you might consider going with something that performs better and is a little more blue (Intel...). Or stick with the green (AMD) and save a little $$ on a CPU.

tontoirl

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
Okay I attached a PC spealer and I've done all the tests.. swaped ram, changed the grfx cards blah blah even put in me 'oul PCI ATI RageIIc. No Beeps!!! Not even with no CPU or RAM in.... I connected up the CPU fan an it spins when 1- No CPU 2- CPU in but with 4-pin 12v ATX is disconnected. I'm now wondering is there somthing wrong with the X2 4200+ (which was never overclocked).
Anyways the motherboard is gone back... still under waranty.. phew..

Regards
Tony

SYSTEM:
ASUStek M2N32-SLI-DELUX.....
2x nVidia gForce 7600GS in SLI
2x 1.0GB Crucial PC5300
2x WDC Raptor 74.4GB

tontoirl

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
Just to keep youz updated.
I RMA the mobo and got a nice new one back (thank you dabs.ie)
All working fine now..... happy days!

SYSTEM:
ASUStek M2N32-SLI-DELUX.....
2x nVidia gForce 7600GS in SLI
2x 1.0GB Crucial PC5300
2x WDC Raptor 74.4GB