THIs iS iT: The RaDeon DUo Hd3650 &Hd3450 reviewed!!!!!!!

pauldh

Illustrious
No time to read it now, but first comment would be...... It Seems almost useless performance testing only pitting it agaisnt the 3850 and 3870. What's up with that? Should have at least had the 2600XT and 8600GTS in there to be of any use. Better yet the 2600 pro, 8600GT and even lower cards.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Indeed, I'm rather disappointed that they were comparing them to the higher Radeon cards... That's just counter-intuitive, since ATi/AMD has been going to make then DISTINCT and separate here. However, I will say it was pleasant to see a mid-range card stand up against for some 45% performance of a high-end card, though.

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Meh, those are vid cards for your grandma's PC that she only uses to surf the web and play solitaire.
Looking at those cards makes me feel less manly. =-0

sailer

Splendid
Ok, the HD 3650 might do well in my business computer, which needs complicated graphics such as Excel and Powerpoint. How's that for a good use? Then again, the 3850 is only a few more dollars and gives a lot more performance. But this is a business computer, after all!

Otherwise, these cards look like a sad excuse that can't be much better than build in graphics.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I must say that those are decent cards... What it looks like is that we're MOSTLY getting a die-shrink here, a half-step one at that; this would still cut down power requirements, and it's pleasant to see that the HD 3450 only needs a small heatsink to do the job for cooling; that'd make it a perfect selection for HTPCs, and a steal at $50US. (at the low-end, I doubt actual prices will vary much from the MSRP) Plus, it's not like lesser-powered cards suddenly become incapable of gaming, especially for the MMO crowd, as MMOs are known for being made toward the lowest common denominator in terms of graphics.

I was slightly disappointed, though, to see that the HD 3650 was clocked to replaced the 2600 pro, and not the 2600 XT. While the 3450/3470 might fit their roles like a charm, given that I'm starting to see 2600XTs as low as $80-90US, the 3650 is already displaced here. Hopefully this might be something that's rectified soon, as while the 3650 might produce comparable performance and noticeably less heat and noise, the fact that it actually will perform a SLIVER slower, and yet cost 12-25% more, makes that "less heat and noise" a harder thing to accept.

Actually, I'd say it isn't... It just looks that way to someone who only ever buys top-end video cards... And dissing one that isn't is kinda silly when your own high-end card will be down with the mainstream "dregs" in not too long.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

As soon as that happens, I will buy another top-end card.

the fact that top-end cards end up in the "dregs" is exactly what I am talking about. I dont see what benefit these cards have over other cards that have already been out for about a year.

Perhaps DX10 support...but the cards cant drive any of the graphics utilizing DX10.

And im not silly, silly. :pt1cable:

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
They look like good cards for what they are.

#1) Not everybody play the latest greatest games. Wow and the like do have a decent market.

#2) Not every PC has the PSU to install the greatest cards.

#3) Some people have a very limited budget and dont spend all their free cash on PCs.

They are very good cards for the price and segment.
You may not want to buy that segment, but you are the minority.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Again, because the opportunity presents itself, I'd note that there are more people subscribed to World of Warcraft RIGHT NOW then there are people who *own* a copy of *all* of the games any one review site uses COMBINED. So clearly, there's room for more than those that crank out the best benchie results; Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Juarez, Company of Heroes, Crysis, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Unreal Tournament III... You can add all their PC sales together, and it STILL won't match the number of people playing World of Warcraft.

Let me tell you; enthusiasts such as any of you or myself are clearly the minority here, vastly outnumbered by the more "plebian" gamers. :p

That must get expensive REALLY fast.

Except that perhaps the ones made as mid-range will have smaller GPU sizes, and hence will actually often be CHEAPER, as well as consuming more sane amounts of power, and not requiring a massive, noisy fan?

Yeah, they can, just not at ZOMG resolutions. Plus furthermore, they can also support ALL high-definition media content, something which, say, a Radeon X1950pro or GeForce 7900GTX can't do.