Contemporary Dual-Core Processors Shootout

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/dualcore-shootout_11.html#sect0

So, the results of our today’s dual-core processor shoot-out indicate clearly that Intel processors win the “Best Buy” title in every single price segment. And it will remain this way until AMD reduces the prices on its Athlon 64 X2, which keep rapidly losing their appeal. The situation may also change if they launch revised triple-core and dual-core processors on Phenom-like architecture, which have a chance of become more competitive against Core 2 Duo. However, it will hardly happen any time soon.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
As you know i posted on that article - its really nice but for one thing!
They did not overclock the systems.

What good is maxxed out amd 6400+ vs an E8500 that's only running half speed? Great article but no overclocking kills it.

folks, hp and dell overclock computers - sure you got pay $5000 or $7000. Overclocking = tuning and is now just part of setting up the systems correctly.

warpedsystems on sells overclocked systems since 2003 we warranty the cpu for 3 years. my personal crusade. Please remember if your system is not properly clocked and tuned it is not completely finished.

". Shut up Dragonsprayer. Your comments clearly show you have been caught in the marketing hype of overclocking. Overclocking can only do so little and that is why their benchmarks prove the numbers don't mean anything more than token. Now companies see gullible fools like you that they begin introducing OC versions that increase performance by 1% yet charge 50 dollars more than the stock!
[Posted by: BestInTheWest | Date: 01/30/08]
wow a complete..... well raising fsb does nothing? what about memory bandwidth? yes i am well known and have plenty of amd enemies - your true green amd colors show!

as we all know if the best amd cpu and the best intel cpu where properly tuned (overclocking too noobies) the intel lead would be proportional to the overclock or about 25% higher.

now that i see some fire on this site i will spend more then 1 min typing my opinion. Again. xbit should have overclocked the chips too - i love this site. I am really disappointed in the fact that you did not overclock and show the real potential of the 8000 series chips.

Warpedsystems is shipping 4.25ghz air cooled E8400 systems for less then $2000, go head and try that with the amd cpu!

[Posted by: Dragonsprayer | Date: 01/30/08]

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
overall.png

perf-watt.png

Wow, talk about Wolfdale ownage! X2 is relegated to battling it out with the E4x00 and E21x0 chips...

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Just search their site for Overclock Results of many of the CPUs listed.

Default Clock speeds are important too and too much data can make fully interpreting results difficult. It is generally best to give all the data, but don't give it as one big lump. This will cause it to not be fully processed.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

The problem being the barcelona core was not designed as a dual core chip.

On average for desktop users, Intels MCM approach has been vindicated.

In the workstation market (and to a lesser extent servers), AMD's monolithic approach definitely has its advantages.

Overall, Intel's approach is probably better, as the technical advantages are almost even - but the manufacturing advantages are great.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I'm holding out for the 2.0 GHz celeron e1400 coming in <6 months. It should really skew the price/performance metric when it will only cost $53. The best media encoding cpu for the money ever.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

I doubt it. The small 512KB L2 has reduced it to K8 levels of IPC, so unless it exceeds 3.5GHz, it shouldn't beat the X2 6400+. Still, we are talking about a $50 vs $150 CPU here... :p

TBH I think it's much better to spend an extra $10 or $20 on the E21x0 series, the extra cache helps performance a lot and is definitely worth the small premium.

rhysee

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Yeap , but look at ATI/AMD , there 3870X2 cards just beat the 8800Ultra , but wait Nvidia has the 9800x2 which will stomp all over ATI.

AMD has to sort there L3 bugs out pronto! otherwise there 45nm technology will suffer..
Intel I hear has similar issues but they have more resources to sort it out quicker I feel .

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The Intel Rumors, however, are quite invalid.

Intel does not even have L3, so clearly it does not have L3 cache issues. Funny how little thought some folks put into rumors.

The Delay, if there really is one, from what I have heard revolves more around compatibility issues for older motherboards at higher FSB levels.

The new 780i and X38 have no issues, but Intel was working on issues with old P35/680i boards with the more 680i than P35s having issues.

rhysee

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
And even Gigabyte releasing a F6g bios for there 965 generation boards to support 45nm ( very very unsupported thou by Intel) , which will suit me .,.

Well my old P965 DS4 was very funny
Rev 2.0 and 3.0 supports 45nm but Rev 1.0 doesnt and i asked GIGABYTE about it and after a long conversation they finally said it wont support 45nm CPUs and thats what made me angry @ them because i could have bout ASUS P5B (which supports 45nm) CPUs instead of DS4

but now i love my P5K-E WIFI :) :d

P35 mobos don't have any issues as they can already support the QX9650(mine can at least). If it is some errata Intel that was that bad Intel wanted to not ship it first so that it wouldn't effect the end user. Which is what AMD should hae done with the TLB bug or at least not said anything since it is saif not to effect anyone unless its a high cache usage situation.

I could have seen the dual core C2D's beating what AMD has to offer due to higher IPC. So in the end a $230 dollar E8400 turns out cheaper than some low AMD A64 chips. And we will have to see what the Celeron OC'ed can do. Don't forget it will be based off of Penryn giving it SSE4 which will help in encoding/decoding especially once the software utilizes it.

Yes that mobo rocks. Same one I have for a great price and it has 6 SATA ports which is very nice. I will never stray from Asus as if they tout certain CPU support they will stick by it.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

Nah, the Celeron 1200 and 1400 will be 65nm based, so no SSE4. Even so, it's relatively quite good at encoding and rendering (taking small cache into account) but is poor at gaming.