Closed

What goes in a PCI Express x1 slot?

Ok, I have searched around on this and for some reason I still can't figure it out. My question: What goes in a PCI Express x1 slot? I've read all the tech jargon on this till it's coming out my ears .... all I want to know is what type of cards can go in these slots? They seem like a waste of space to me, but I figured since my board has three I'd find out what can go in there.

Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about what express slot
  1. sound card, debug card. network card, turner card, GPIB card video card.......
  2. Like Bob said. Slow devices and slow video cards.
    From what little I know, the PCIe x1 is MUCH faster than the old PCI slots and maybe faster than the AGP 4x.
  3. its not faster than agp x4
  4. I have an eSATA RAID card in my 1X slot.
  5. dcinmich said:
    Ok, I have searched around on this and for some reason I still can't figure it out. My question: What goes in a PCI Express x1 slot? I've read all the tech jargon on this till it's coming out my ears .... all I want to know is what type of cards can go in these slots? They seem like a waste of space to me, but I figured since my board has three I'd find out what can go in there.

    Thanks.


    Shove your fingure in there, thats one use.
  6. Pretty much everything that was available for PCI is making the move to PCIe, just have a look over some hardware retail sites, especially the I/O controller section.

    AGP 4x is 1066MB/s

    A single PCIe 1.1 lane is capable of 250MB/s (less overhead for transmission protocols), so a x16 slot can do ~4GB/s PCIe 2.0 doubles this, and the upcoming 3.0 doubles it again. Servers have x32 slots, so that's going to be 32GB/s. Imagine what SLI with those could look like.
  7. uk_gangsta said:
    Shove your fingure in there, thats one use.


    It's also a handy place to keep spare change ;)
  8. polarity said:
    It's also a handy place to keep spare change ;)



    Until the coins short the power pins and then its burn baby burn
  9. polarity said:
    Servers have x32 slots, so that's going to be 32GB/s. Imagine what SLI with those could look like.


    the cards would have to super powerful to take advantage of it
  10. polarity said:
    Pretty much everything that was available for PCI is making the move to PCIe, just have a look over some hardware retail sites, especially the I/O controller section.


    Thanks, polarity. That was the help I was looking for :)
  11. uk_gangsta said:
    Shove your fingure in there, thats one use.


    fingure? What's a fingure? gangsta? What's a gangsta? Oh wait, I forgot...my little 5 year old daughter plays gangsta once in awhile.

    Try replying with a meaningful response and while you're at it, try using the spell checker gangsta boy.
  12. Try replying to threads that are current instead of signing up just so you can post a meaningless response to a person who is never going to read your post.
Ask a new question

Read More

PCI Express Components