Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What goes in a PCI Express x1 slot?

Last response: in Components
January 31, 2008 9:09:53 AM

Ok, I have searched around on this and for some reason I still can't figure it out. My question: What goes in a PCI Express x1 slot? I've read all the tech jargon on this till it's coming out my ears .... all I want to know is what type of cards can go in these slots? They seem like a waste of space to me, but I figured since my board has three I'd find out what can go in there.

Thanks.

More about : pci express slot

January 31, 2008 2:52:57 PM

sound card, debug card. network card, turner card, GPIB card video card.......
January 31, 2008 3:21:01 PM

Like Bob said. Slow devices and slow video cards.
From what little I know, the PCIe x1 is MUCH faster than the old PCI slots and maybe faster than the AGP 4x.
Related resources
January 31, 2008 3:31:48 PM

its not faster than agp x4
January 31, 2008 3:59:31 PM

I have an eSATA RAID card in my 1X slot.
January 31, 2008 4:00:30 PM

dcinmich said:
Ok, I have searched around on this and for some reason I still can't figure it out. My question: What goes in a PCI Express x1 slot? I've read all the tech jargon on this till it's coming out my ears .... all I want to know is what type of cards can go in these slots? They seem like a waste of space to me, but I figured since my board has three I'd find out what can go in there.

Thanks.

Shove your fingure in there, thats one use.
January 31, 2008 4:05:53 PM

Pretty much everything that was available for PCI is making the move to PCIe, just have a look over some hardware retail sites, especially the I/O controller section.

AGP 4x is 1066MB/s

A single PCIe 1.1 lane is capable of 250MB/s (less overhead for transmission protocols), so a x16 slot can do ~4GB/s PCIe 2.0 doubles this, and the upcoming 3.0 doubles it again. Servers have x32 slots, so that's going to be 32GB/s. Imagine what SLI with those could look like.
January 31, 2008 4:07:14 PM

uk_gangsta said:

It's also a handy place to keep spare change ;) 
January 31, 2008 7:07:33 PM

polarity said:
It's also a handy place to keep spare change ;) 

Until the coins short the power pins and then its burn baby burn
January 31, 2008 7:37:13 PM

polarity said:
Servers have x32 slots, so that's going to be 32GB/s. Imagine what SLI with those could look like.

the cards would have to super powerful to take advantage of it
January 31, 2008 9:59:35 PM

polarity said:
Pretty much everything that was available for PCI is making the move to PCIe, just have a look over some hardware retail sites, especially the I/O controller section.

Thanks, polarity. That was the help I was looking for :) 
October 1, 2009 10:28:49 AM

uk_gangsta said:

fingure? What's a fingure? gangsta? What's a gangsta? Oh wait, I forgot...my little 5 year old daughter plays gangsta once in awhile.

Try replying with a meaningful response and while you're at it, try using the spell checker gangsta boy.
October 1, 2009 10:36:13 AM

Try replying to threads that are current instead of signing up just so you can post a meaningless response to a person who is never going to read your post.
!