Sign in with
Your question

New computer help.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2008 7:04:58 PM

I'm sure you get plenty of these so i'll keep it short. Had a new pc for christmas, tried to run a few games but they wouldn't run. Finally realised that I had an onboard card called SiS mirage that, it seems, cant run any game on full settings made after 1950. So i'm looking to disable it and buy a new card. I tried installing my old 7300GT AGP but the slots on the motherboard were too big. I've done some research and i'm 90% sure that I'd need a PCI-E compatible card but need to be sure before I purchase one.

So how do I find out for definite?

Thanks for any help.

More about : computer

January 24, 2008 7:17:19 PM

If the slots too big, then it is likely a PCI / PCI-E slot. If you want more help, post your the name / model # of your PC, or tell us what your specs are. (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc.)

If you want to look for your self, open the case and look under the slot you are trying to put the card in. Should be something like this:

See how it says PCIEx16 under it? That's what you should be looking for.
January 24, 2008 7:26:13 PM

My psychic powers seem to be failing me today. I am unable to see what computer you have. If you posted what kind of computer you have, people here would be happy to tell you what your computer has.
Related resources
January 24, 2008 7:44:17 PM

rgeist554 said:
If the slots too big, then it is likely a PCI / PCI-E slot. If you want more help, post your the name / model # of your PC, or tell us what your specs are. (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc.)

If you want to look for your self, open the case and look under the slot you are trying to put the card in. Should be something like this:

http://images.crucial.com/images/pcie_lores_callouts.jpg

See how it says PCIEx16 under it? That's what you should be looking for.

Thanks bud, I've just had a look and it says PCI1 underneath the slot so I assume that is just normal PCI? Appreciate the help. :pt1cable: 

horstmann said:
My psychic powers seem to be failing me today. I am unable to see what computer you have. If you posted what kind of computer you have, people here would be happy to tell you what your computer has.

Well, rgeist has used his psychic powers and solved it for me. ;) 

January 24, 2008 7:47:53 PM

Just out of curiosity, can I use a PCI-E card on a PCI slot?
January 24, 2008 7:48:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks bud, I've just had a look and it says PCI1 underneath the slot so I assume that is just normal PCI? Appreciate the help. :pt1cable: 
That is likely the case, especially if there is more than 2 of them.

Quote:
Well, rgeist has used his psychic powers and solved it for me. ;) 
/flex

*edit*
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, can I use a PCI-E card on a PCI slot?
Unfortunately, you cannot.

If you give use the model of your PC / Motherboard, we may be able to fine something that would work for you.
January 24, 2008 7:57:46 PM

Ah, bummer. I heard PCI-E is the card to have. Here goes...

Intel Pentium D 3.00GHz
Packard Bell BV (GA-T671MG)
SiS chipset (Si671V11)
DDR2
1024mb ram

Do you need anything else?
January 24, 2008 8:10:52 PM

Damn, I can't find a good list of the specs on that motherboard. The closes I got was this: http://www.techsupportforum.com/gaming-forum/pc-gaming-...

Which claims that it has an AGP and PCIE slot. The PCIE slot could be a x1 close or something that is terrible and wouldn't work for you. (It's like a 1 inch connector on the board)
January 24, 2008 8:36:40 PM

Yeah, i've just seen my specs on SIW and they are pretty much the same as those. I've had a look for that agp slot and cant find it, I just see 2 white PCI slots and nothing else. It's a pain all this computer stuff.

So, to summarise, I would need a PCI and not a PCI-E card?
January 24, 2008 8:50:17 PM

Yeah, but just so you know, PCI cards are worse than AGP. So, if you can find one, it may not be worth the money.

Goes like this: PCI < AGP < PCI-E
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 24, 2008 8:57:38 PM

For some reason most results I get with Google are in German. Here's one I found more promising:

http://www.treiber.de/forum/post.asp?type=threadreply&bwthreadid=58673&postingid=313181"e=true&PHPSESSID=90c9f1369809bb51b74a5f3c2a865de6

This statement comes from a guy with 11890 posts on that forum who seems to know what he's talking about:
Ne günstige Geforce 6200 wäre wohl sinnvoll, mehr würde ich da auch nicht mehr reinstecken.
Translated: an GeForce 6200 might make sense, I wouldn't put in anything better than that.

I think he's right, because a good video card would be limited by the CPU and RAM, and you'd need a new PSU too most likely. Sorry... I think it's time to get a new PC.

January 24, 2008 9:01:50 PM

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=show...

Manufacturer PACKARD BELL BV
Model GA-T671MG

Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)

CPU Intel Pentium D
Cpu Socket LGA775 [Socket 775]
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 3000 MHz

System Slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MBytes
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 24, 2008 9:19:43 PM

Well, I guess the most powerful cards that can fit in there will be the x1950 AGP or HD2600XT AGP, but they will most likely need a new PSU and they'd be held back by RAM and CPU. A 7600GT with DDR3 sounds best to me, or 7900GS at most.
January 25, 2008 12:33:57 PM

Appreciate all the responses guys.

I was up until 2am this morning trying to transfer all the good stuff out of my new PC into my old one. The old one has an AGP 7300 so would be better suited to gaming and large apps. It's funny, before crhistmas I was constantly ranting about how poor my old system was (512 ram, 3ghz, xp) but now, considering how exceptionally bad the graphics are in my new one, I'm happy to be back on my old one.

I guess if this story had a moral then it would be; don't trust someone who doesn't no squat about computers to get you the latest gaming system or you could end up in the same boat as me, wading slowly down river insanity and stopping constantly at port tear-your-hair-out.
January 25, 2008 12:44:57 PM

To kpo6969: +1 for finding the info
Quote:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/ [...] &forumid=1

Manufacturer PACKARD BELL BV
Model GA-T671MG

Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)

CPU Intel Pentium D
Cpu Socket LGA775 [Socket 775]
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 3000 MHz

System Slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MBytes

To Suge_uk:
Quote:
I guess if this story had a moral then it would be; don't trust someone who doesn't no squat about computers to get you the latest gaming system or you could end up in the same boat as me, wading slowly down river insanity and stopping constantly at port tear-your-hair-out.
I know, that's the worst feeling. Knowing you got a new computer, but your old one is better or just as good. >.> You may just be able to build one from scratch next time, that way you can get some solid advice about what to put in. You could even try one of those "hole-in-the-wall" gaming shops. They'll usually build a computer w/ decent parts for a reasonable price, and if you're not sure, you can post the parts list here and people can review and advise changes.
January 25, 2008 12:52:13 PM

My dad used to build computers but he's been converted to cult laptop now so i'm alone. I guess i'd say I have minimal knowledge of how they work from the inside so, hopefully, i'd know the mandatory parts needed to make it work.

This forum is going into my bookmarks btw. I'm glad I found this place, lots of friendly people here.
!