Opinions on Pioneer PDP-434CMX and some newbie questions o..

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 13, 2005 11:31:29 PM

What are the opinions about this monitor? It seems much less expensive
than the TVs they make for home use and might be worth it if you are
using the correct components?

Also, I have some newbie questions about this monitor and hooking up
analogue cable and hdtv to it. Can someone please answer?

This Monitor seems to need an additional expansion card for regular use.
What can it handle without the card? I assume it can handle a PC's
regular outputs? What would you need for regular cable, a tuner of some
sort like a VCR? What would the VCR connect to on the monitor?
Would it handle volume control?

Somewhat related, if you have regular cable AND digital cable, how do
the analog channels get fed into your TV?
Do you have a splitter with one line going to the digital cable box and
then into your TV with the other going directly to the cable connector?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 14, 2005 7:34:00 PM

Check out
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=521385&...
tco+4304

It has 14 pages of discussion on this subject and should keep you busy for
quite some time.

The Costco Pioneer 4312 (or 4304) is based on the Pioneer PDP-434CMX. You
can pick up the Pioneer 4312 at Costco for $3000. www.costco.com I just got
the 4312. The 4312 and 434 cmx is just a monitor without a tuner/receiver.
You will need to buy a tuner/reciever. I bought a Directv HD receiver ($289)
which gets the satellite channels, NTSC (standard TV over the air) and ASTC?
(High def over the air.) The 4312 has an HDMI input, which is important for
the future because of copyprotection, while the 434cmx only has DVI. (I am
not very sure about the copy protection stuff, but my fear is that DVI only
without HDCP could prevent you from being able to display images in the
future. To me, HDMI is preferred for future compabitiblity issues.)

> Somewhat related, if you have regular cable AND digital cable, how do
> the analog channels get fed into your TV?
> Do you have a splitter with one line going to the digital cable box and
> then into your TV with the other going directly to the cable connector?

We hooked up the Directv HD receiver that has both digital and standard
signals to the 4312 with the HDMI input set at high definition. The monitor
takes all signals - 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and sends them out in a native
768p. We do have to adjust screen format using both the receiver box and the
monitor settings.

noone

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> What are the opinions about this monitor? It seems much less expensive
> than the TVs they make for home use and might be worth it if you are
> using the correct components?
>

> Also, I have some newbie questions about this monitor and hooking up
> analogue cable and hdtv to it. Can someone please answer?
>

> This Monitor seems to need an additional expansion card for regular use.
> What can it handle without the card? I assume it can handle a PC's
> regular outputs? What would you need for regular cable, a tuner of some
> sort like a VCR? What would the VCR connect to on the monitor?
> Would it handle volume control?
>
> Somewhat related, if you have regular cable AND digital cable, how do
> the analog channels get fed into your TV?
> Do you have a splitter with one line going to the digital cable box and
> then into your TV with the other going directly to the cable connector?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 14, 2005 8:08:21 PM

More info.
Costco Pioneer 4312 web page.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=110337...

The Pioneer PDP-434CMX and the Costco Pioneer 4312 are not the same thing.
The Costco Pioneer 4312 is based on the PDP-434CMX with a fixed set of
inputs.

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> This Monitor seems to need an additional expansion card for regular use.
> What can it handle without the card? I assume it can handle a PC's
> regular outputs? What would you need for regular cable, a tuner of some
> sort like a VCR? What would the VCR connect to on the monitor?
> Would it handle volume control?

The monitor has something like 5 different inputs.
Inputs/Outpus:

* A/V Input: x1 (RCA Pin)
* S-Video Input: x1
* HDMI Input: x1
* Monitor Output: x1
* Component Input: x1
* D-sub Input - AV & PC

I hooked up the VCR to video input on the monitor using the normal yellow
white red cables.

The Directv HD receiver is hooked up to the HDMI input on the monitor.

Our DVD is hooked up to the monitor with component cables.

See pages 13 and 14 of this message thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=521385&...
tco+4304

Below is my review and information I gathered for purchase.

I ended up purchasing the Costco Pioneer PDP-4312HD, and I wanted to pass
on some of my research. I read reviews on the web, and I found that
Panasonics and Pioneers were the best rated plasma TVS. Based on my budget
and what I could find locally, I chose the Costco Pioneer.

Picture is spectacular with Directv HD Discovery channel. I feel like I am
looking at a high resolution photograph that is the size of the 43" TV
screen. Amazing is just not enough to describe the quality of the picture. I
have bad eyes (down to the big E on the eye chart in one eye), and I can
only describe high definition tv as watching tv with glasses where
everything is crystal clear. Normal tv is like watching tv without glasses,
blurry and no detail.

On the bad side of the 4312, dark movies are not so good as all of the black
and near black tend to blend together as in one of the Matrix movies in high
definition. (Note, I might be able to tweak settings more.) I do note that
people's faces tend to be on the red side on standard tv 480i, but the red
face is not a problem in high definition. I might get a pro out to tweak the
tv. But again, the high definition is just amazing.

The 4312 does not have a tuner, but I purchased a Directv HD Receiver (RCA)
which does both Directv HD and antenna local HD stations for three hundred.
The 4312 converts everything 480i/p,1080i,720p to 768p. You can also hook up
a computer to the 4312 (I have not done so.) You can get the 4312 on the web
cheaper than at Costco, but you would have to pay shipping and Costco's
return policy is generous.

Costco Pioneer model PDP-4312HD. Spoke with Pioneer service rep to confirm
previous findings that the Costco model is related to the industrial model-
PDP-434CMX. Again, the customer rep confirmed that the Costco model is based
on the PDP-434CMX. Pushing the rep harder, he confirmed that it is the
PDP-434CMX but with a different feature set of bells and whistles. I can
hook the Costco model up to a Directv receiver, VCR or a compputer. I
confirmed that the Costco model has an HDMI input and will display
copyrighted material. (The PDP-434CMX manual mentioned a DVI connection
which would not support displaying copyrighted material, so I wanted to be
sure about the HDMI input.).

Took me a long time to find the pioneer web site for this model.
You can check pioneer website for more information on the PDP-434CMX
http://www.pioneerindustrialav.com/...6151303,00.html.

The manual from Costco is similar but not exactly the same as the pioneer
PDP-434CMX users Manual.pd. (You can download the manual from the
www.pioneerindustrialav.com web site). The PDP-434CMX users Manual will give
you an idea of the Costco's 4312 functionality (similar but not the same as
the Costco version). And the remotes for the Costco and the remote pictured
in the PDP-434CMX manual appear to be the same. The inputs/outputs on the
monitor are the ones listed on the Costco website. You get a table top stand
and speakers with the Costco unit.

There was some talk about Costco selling old previous model year, so I
checked that out.
The Costco model is the current model year (confirmed with customer rep.)
The PDP-434CMX debuted in June 2004. Press release link -
http://www.pioneerindustrialav.com/...3812981,00.html

The avsforum has an official thread: The Official "PIO 4312/4304" Thread!!!
for tons of information on tweaking etc.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...eer+costco+4304

Oh I had to break the big box from Costco open at the store to get the
smaller boxes out so that I could fit it in my Ford Explorer. Otherwise to
move the original big box, you need a pickup. From what I have read, don't
lay the box down for transport or you can end up with a lot of broken glass.

noone
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 15, 2005 10:36:27 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:31:29 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
<tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

>What are the opinions about this monitor? It seems much less expensive
>than the TVs they make for home use and might be worth it if you are
>using the correct components?

There's another version that doesn't have the video card issue.

The pioneer plasma's use NEC glass and have pretty good colors.

The black levels are a problem with dark movies, eg poor dark details,
everything is black and beyond murky.

Some buzz a bit loud.

Some had a manufacture suggested power supply replacement.

Similar to the Panny's but apparently without the Panny's flickering
black levels due to the basic absence of black detail. You can adjust
the panny to get a similar lack of performance in order to get rid of
most of the black level flickering.

Obviously still a lot of start up problems. Years away from a set
you'd expect for the money you pay.
!