Sign in with
Your question

Change firefox temp file location

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
June 20, 2010 2:10:32 AM

Whenever I browse the net and view videos such as from youtube, firefox saves a temp file to C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp.
How can I change it so that firefox will automatically save the temp files to a location of my choosing?

NOTE: I have already changed the location of firefox's cache, but it still saves the temp files for when I watch youtube to the location I listed above.

Any help in a timely fashion will be greatly appreciated!
June 20, 2010 2:27:13 AM

Quote:
Whenever I browse the net and view videos such as from youtube, firefox saves a temp file to C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp.
How can I change it so that firefox will automatically save the temp files to a location of my choosing?

NOTE: I have already changed the location of firefox's cache, but it still saves the temp files for when I watch youtube to the location I listed above.

Firefox uses the system temp folder.
Make yourself a new temp folder off the root of your system drive.
Then go to: start>Settings>control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>TEMP>Edit, and change to the new temp folder you made off the root of system drive. (example: C:\temp) Do the same for the "TMP" (both TEMP and TMP point to the same temp folder you made). Click Ok.
Now your temp folder is easily accessible and can be viewed/purged as you see fit.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:02:11 AM

Quote:

I to had this problem I just solved it!! instead of changing the folder itself, why not just change where ALL app data is stored?

Here's how you can change the windows registry setting for storing application data. Be careful though make sure you know what you're doing as you can harm your system completely if you do this incorrectly. The only value I changed was Local AppData. And I made sure I had a folder it could point 2. Now all my video files are being saved to the new local app data location it's awesome!!

check this out:

go to registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

and then change the following value.

Local AppData

from %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data

to wherever you want so for me

j:\appdata

make sure you have a folder to store the data and gg.
m
l
!