Neebert

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
My system felt hot...

Processor Intel Quad 3mhz
MOBO ASUS Gamer maximus etc
RAM 4 X 2GIG DDR2 800 (I didn't think ddr3 was worth it)
Graphics 1 8800 GTX PNY and a 7800 GT (I got 2 8800 but put one 1 in old box coz I cant SLI on my X38 mobo)
1TB HDD
CASE CM Stacker with 4 extra 120mm fans
Cooling Zalman resivator.

Looks ok yea? Well the resivator was a bit warm... What I have done is get a tower fan to go in front of the resivator.
WOW! Its cold now... the CPU was reporting 52c + before but now my max temp has been 26C!!!

Still the 8800 is saying its 68C, if anyone has any ideas how to get the temp down please let me know.
Also I am thinking I can SLI the 8800's with a X42 mobo, is this right? If anyone has info on this I would be very greatfull too :)
I strongly reccomend Resivator1 plus and a black tower fan... looks ok and you will stay under 30C no matter your processor...

Thx and stay cool :)

mi1ez

Splendid
X42?

I think you mean X38/X48, and no, the Intel chipsets only support Crossfire (although given that the HP Blackbird runs Crossfire on an nVidia chipset there may be a way around it...)

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
well, considering the normal room temp is around 25c, I doubt it will go much lower than that, even if not overclocked.

the reserator is a passive (as you know) cooling device for the liquid coolant. adding even a tiny bit of air flow around it will greatly increase its cooling ability.

poup23

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
you should look at thermalright HR-03GT for your GPU, but it might not fit with a SLI setup.

I'm currently waiting for my 120mm fan to arrive, but at passive, my gpu stays at 58°C at idle (didn't wanted to try it under load unless I got my fan). The stock cooler was doing 54-56°C at full speed at idle, so with tha fan it will be well under, like 35-40°.

Its main advantage is that you can put it on either side of the card. So maybe you'll be able to fit 1 on each of your card.

n00b_SLicer

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

Well I'm pretty sure some drivers can be hacked to run SLi on a CF board and vice versa.

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

no he should work on his math!!! what is ice tempature? 26 degree c?????
:pt1cable:

bobwya

May 21, 2005

I think the guy is for real either that or the Forum pranksters are getting much more professional!! Hes even build himself a fake system, to match the hardware he is discussing in this thread, in his system information link!! :pt1cable:

:hello: Ahhh please tell us you're kidding and put us out of your misery!! I commend you on your efforts to fool us that you are just a stupid newbie... I think the 3Mhz was a bit of a give away though - stick to bad English in the future (I do like the detail about manufactures makes it all sound more real) :hello:

Bob

Neebert

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Sorry 3GHZ lol shame about my 8800's but one is fine atm :) Thx for the cool comments :)
So how much do you think I could overclock the system?
Cpu is at 29C under 100% load
I don't want to fry it though, it blu screens already... has been ok with the new cooler but needs more testing. Upgraded bios but blue screened :p
INTEL say I need a 975 board for it!

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi all,

I love the persistence of this guy but this is a spoof thread right... Come on Dwebert come clean!! :pt1cable:
I prefer the threads were everyone writes in helpful comments before realising they have been pawn3d!!
This one is a bit too obvious...

Bob

There is a mobo that has a Intel chipset but uses a chip onboard to enable SLI and CF, I think its the Skulltrail board. I really don't believe you can CF for theirs as it uses the Asus Striker Extreme which is slated only for SLI support. But maybe.

BTW, I got bored and priced this "awesome" Blackbird 002 in a configuration almost equal to mine(Only difference is I have a P5K-E instead of the Striker Extreme which is $80 difference) and lok at my final price: $3,724.01. Thats without the monitor or speakers or mouse. It has a HD2900XT 1GB, Q6600, 2GB DDR2 1066, Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Fatality Xtreme Gamer Pro, G15 keyboard and 2 extra 500GB HDD in RAID0(which add $620 dollars when you can buy them for 119.99 each @ Newegg). Mine is almost exactally the same minus their case and the extra HDD and mine is a HD2900Pro(or HD2900XT at lower speeds) and it cost me $1500 when I bought them. what constitutes the extra $2k? Rip-off, I think so.

So they found a way to get it to work. If only they released it. But still there is no reason to pay that much extra for $1500 dollars worth of components. Especially the HDD's which amount to almost $400 dollars more than their retal price. I stand by that its just an over priced rig. BTW I configured the air colled single GPU detup. Even if I did dual GPU it would still cost almost $2K more than it should.

Neebert

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
The blackbird is a nice game's machine but for that money it's not worth looking at. I have a nice machine but I only play Sword of the new world and freecell. I made it to last, thats why I went for 8gig of ram and a 1TB disk. I think my box will still be fine in a year no problem at all.

Neebert

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Ok with the tower fan and Zalman the system is fine. Even though Intel don't support it the quad core in a 775 mobo it runs fine if you keep it really cold. Phew! I hate unstable systems.

Just a little tipd here, you should have gotten 2 Seagate 500GB SATAII HDD's and put them in a RAID0. Would have had roughly 1TB storage space and faster loads.

Alextreme

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

Two 500gb hard drives in raid is the same as a 500gb hard drive. Raid speeds reading because everything is written identically on both drives. At least I'm pretty sure that's what it is :??:

Ooh 8gb of RAM, yeah 4gb would have been too fast, it was a good idea to slow it down by getting more.