rajeshact

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hi all,

I have a two hardware raid controllers, I have 12 and 16 ports respectively. I like to combine this two hardwares and combining that to a software raid. Is it possible in windows? Can some one explain me the steps how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Madrox4ever

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
You can do that with the systemmanager of XP (vista too, i suppose?). First you have to make two independed array, one for each of your controller. Make the RAID-array you wish. Both should have the same RAId-lvl though. Say you make two hardware raid-5 arrays and one RAId-1 array (you could use 4 ports for that on your 16 ports controller, since a uneven type of raidset (16/12) is not recommended. Why a third array? You need a hardware lvl to boot from!
So, you use any type of array you wish for your boot-array; with a max of four disk.
The remaining 12 ports on each you can use to make big array's, which you can combine later on in one big array.

You install/boot from the third array and then you can expand the two remaning arrays in a huge array. For example:
two HW raid 5 (12disks) combining in SW-RAID 0 making a huge RAID 50 HW/SW array. this isn't the best way to go , i think though. 12 disks in one huge array isn't making alot of diffence; i've seen that. The turning-point lies with a max of about 6 disks. So you could use this trick and make 5 HW arrays, one for the OS and the other four to make TWO raid-50 arrays (for example).

TRENDING THREADS