Sign in with
Your question

AuzenTech Prelude 7.1 issues with new build - Please assist!

Last response: in Components
January 31, 2008 1:22:40 PM

Hey guys. After a year and a half of planning, budgeting and learning, I finally finished my first ever build. It went really well and I only ran into a handful of minor issues (all of which have been solved) and one major issue (which is the purpose of this post).

The soundcard was the last piece of hardware that I installed in the build. After inserting it into a PCI slot, but prior to installing the latest drivers and hooking up my Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers, I tested a pair of cheap headphones and received sound.

After updating to the latest drivers, hooking up my speakers and doing a bit of tweaking, I can now get sound through all speakers except the right rear one. I have verified that it is not a wiring issue as the right rear speaker emited sound in two different sound tests (the one that comes built-in with the Z-5500 control unit and the one in Windows Vista). Unfortunately, the only time I can get sound through the speaker is when doing a sound test...it produces nothing when playing a CD or DVD. I also tried plugging my front speakers to the rear input and the rear to the front. I was able to get sound through BOTH rear speakers that way, but (of course) through only the left front. The right front produced nothing just as the right rear did when hooked up to that input. I should also mention that after updating the drivers, I am unable to get sound through the headphones now.

If I can solve this problem, I would highly recommend the AuzenTech Prelude to anyone out there. The sound coming from my 5500's is literally 10 times better than it was with the same speakers hooked up to a SoundBlaster Audiology card...even with one of the speakers not working. I can hear things that I've never heard before in songs that I've listend to hundreds of times! The speakers also sound much more clear and less muddy than they did before. I was actually yearning for my old Klipsh 4.1 speakers that I purchased back in 1999 over these new 5.1 5500's...but not anymore!

Auzentech's customer support suggested that I reinstall the drivers. I haven't done this yet, but I really don't expect it to work. But then again, I'm a total noob so what do I know! :pt1cable: 

If anyone can offer me some advice on how to tackle this problem, if it could be driver related, or if it is likely RMA time, I'd be very grateful. I will be uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers this weekend and will update accordingly.

Thanks so much,

-J.
January 31, 2008 1:58:25 PM

I have the exact same card and speaker setup as you. Unfortunately I am running windows XP (I absolutely will NOT TOUCH VISTA) It would be kind of helpfull if you could tell me what mode your card is in, do you have Dolby Digital Live running, what type of output are you sending to the 55s. IE Digital, Coaxial, or Analog. Did you install Alchemy? You said when everything is hooked up, you do the speaker test and get sound from all the speakers. Now I forget, did you do that on the 55s, or did you do that on the control panel for the sound card? Also, are the windows speaker settings the same as your setup? I'm not 100% sure about Vista, but in XP if you didn't have the windows speakers setup the same way as your soundcard control panel you would get weird issues like that.

But most importantly, how do you connect to the 55s as I'm pretty darn sure there is a mis-label on the analog outputs of the Prelude. I know my Centre/Bass is actually Side Surround. Go figure :pt1cable: 

Hope this helps you out. I love my Prelude and 55s
January 31, 2008 2:52:49 PM

Z5500's + Auzentech X-FI Prelude = Check!

Nice aren't they :D 
On XP Pro myself as well.

Look inside your case at the Prelude card near the backside of the case where the ports are. The card should be labled correctly inside the case so use that info for setting up.

As for the sound in the rear speakers try this: Go to the Prelude control console and enter entertainment mode > Main Display > X-Fi CMSS 3D (3D Icon). Click "Enable X-Fi CMSS-3D Surround", then click "Stereo Surround". Proceed by dragging the slider to 50%; about halfway down.

Hopefully that solves the problem. If it works, Enjoy!

EDIT: One last thing. It's really basic and you've probably already done this but to be sure make sure all of the connections are completely in and flush with the audio ports. I doubt you haven't done this but, you know, just to be sure. :) 
Related resources
January 31, 2008 5:29:30 PM

Rhinofart said:
I have the exact same card and speaker setup as you. Unfortunately I am running windows XP (I absolutely will NOT TOUCH VISTA) It would be kind of helpfull if you could tell me what mode your card is in, do you have Dolby Digital Live running, what type of output are you sending to the 55s. IE Digital, Coaxial, or Analog. Did you install Alchemy? You said when everything is hooked up, you do the speaker test and get sound from all the speakers. Now I forget, did you do that on the 55s, or did you do that on the control panel for the sound card? Also, are the windows speaker settings the same as your setup? I'm not 100% sure about Vista, but in XP if you didn't have the windows speakers setup the same way as your soundcard control panel you would get weird issues like that.

But most importantly, how do you connect to the 55s as I'm pretty darn sure there is a mis-label on the analog outputs of the Prelude. I know my Centre/Bass is actually Side Surround. Go figure :pt1cable: 

Hope this helps you out. I love my Prelude and 55s

Thanks for the response and for the laugh that your screen name gave me, Rhinofart. :D  I am running the card in entertainment mode and haven't tried switching it to 'gaming' or whatever the third mode is. It is hooked up in analog. As far as 'Dolby Digital Live', I'd have to check when I get home. I believe that was an option that could be checked or unchecked...and if I remember correctly, checking it switched things to 7.1 rather than 5.1 (but I could be thinking of some other option). I did not install Alchemy seperately, as Auzentech's website said that the most current drivers included it...so I am assuming that it was installed when I updated the drivers.

Yes, I did the speaker test using both Z5500 control unit and using the 'sound' option in the control panel in Vista. Every speaker worked fine in both sound tests but the right rear will not emit any sound when I'm playing a game, CD or DVD. Yes, the windows speaker setup is the same as the soundcard setup (5.1 option selected).

To answer your last question, I believe that I have it hooked up 'green, black, orange' starting with the 'front' input and going consecutively farther back...

I'll check on the 'Dolby Digital Live' option when I get home. Do you think it's worth a try to reinstall the drivers?
January 31, 2008 5:33:48 PM

Tsukasa said:
Z5500's + Auzentech X-FI Prelude = Check!

Nice aren't they :D 
On XP Pro myself as well.

Look inside your case at the Prelude card near the backside of the case where the ports are. The card should be labled correctly inside the case so use that info for setting up.

As for the sound in the rear speakers try this: Go to the Prelude control console and enter entertainment mode > Main Display > X-Fi CMSS 3D (3D Icon). Click "Enable X-Fi CMSS-3D Surround", then click "Stereo Surround". Proceed by dragging the slider to 50%; about halfway down.

Hopefully that solves the problem. If it works, Enjoy!

EDIT: One last thing. It's really basic and you've probably already done this but to be sure make sure all of the connections are completely in and flush with the audio ports. I doubt you haven't done this but, you know, just to be sure. :) 

The connections are all fine, Tsukasa...and all sound tests are working properly. I will try going into 'Entertainment Mode' as you suggest and following the steps that you described.

I just think the strangest thing is that when I plug the front speakers into the rear input, I get no sound out of the right front...same as when the rear speakers are hooked up properly...no sound from the rear. Heh...Rhinofart (see above) probably doesn't have that problem! :pt1cable: 
January 31, 2008 6:09:46 PM

I bought a set of Z-5500s and have had similar troubles. I use a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum card. This card is very similar to the Auzentech Prelude. At first I thought I had a bad set of speakers, as the right front wouldn't give any sound during testing. When playing a CD, however, the speaker works properly. I've also noticed that the speakers will only work on analog, not digital. I suspect the troubles are caused by driver problems, and last I read, Auzentech uses drivers from Creative, so its not surprizing that we have similar troubles.
January 31, 2008 8:04:34 PM

Rhino,

Just to update you...I did NOT have Dolby Digital Live selected. However, I enabled it to no avail. The rear right still does not produce sound when playing a CD, DVD or game.
January 31, 2008 8:19:46 PM

Well guys, I fixed it thanks to your ideas. Originally, I had the wires hooked up in the order of 'green', 'black', 'orange'...but with the configeration that I had at the time in the AuzenTech Console, I wasn't getting good results. I forget what wasn't working, but it was something. So I swapped 'black' and 'orange' around and got better results (with the exception of the rear right). Well, I used your input to adjust settings in the console and swapped the inputs back to the way they were designed to go. I'm happy to report that I now have sound in all speakers - at least with a CD. I haven't tried gaming yet, but I'm expecting the same.

I'm off to go mess with my settings now. Thanks a million!

-J.
January 31, 2008 8:40:19 PM

Just one last thing, guys. I can get sound out of the headphones only by plugging them to the Logitech Z5500 control unit. That's good enough, but just to cover all of my bases, I wanted to connect one of my front panel inputs on the case. I have 1 of 2 audio connectors coming from the case that I can hook up to directly to the soundcard. Should I connect the AC' 97 or the High Definition Audio?

Currently, I have one of them connected to my motherboard. However, I didn't install the audio drivers that came with the mobo software because I didn't want to take the risk of them conflicting with the Auzentech drivers.

I guess my last question is this: Which one should I connect to the soundcard (HD Audio or AC' 97) and, once connected, can I expect to get sound from plugging in headphones to the front of my case?

Thanks!

-J.
January 31, 2008 11:15:14 PM

I have the same card, and have my front panel plugged into the HD Audio port. Though in my case it was a no-brainer: My case has a pre-wired connector that says "HD Audio" on it. :p 

At any rate: When I plug the headphones into the port on the front of my case, the card shuts off output to my speakers and plays through the headphones.
February 1, 2008 5:41:36 PM

Thanks, Scotteq. I'll try plugging the HD Audio connection to the soundcard rather than the AC' 97 connection.
!