Laptop Displays

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I have the opp to grab around 6 old laptops that have been stripped of most things like ram and HD, and I want to try to see if I can make a big screen out of those 6, I would be ever so happy.

Any possible way of making this happen?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I'm sure it's possible, but probably not easy. You would need some kind of controller that could accomodate 6 screens, or maybe two that can handle 3. (I believe Matrox has a product like this.)

ganpachi

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I have been lugging around a laptop with a dead PSU and a nice screen in the hopes that someday I might be able to cannibalize it into a standalone display.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find anything available commercially that would allow me to do this. I have seen some DIY solutions, but they all involve either electrical engineering graduate student level stuff, or very expensive parts.

Honestly, I would be happy to hear if you find something that can work, but I won't be holding my breath.

420_legend

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
ive looked into this quite a bit as i wanted to do the same the problem is that the screens dont have any controllers with them it is all built into the laptop ive found a few custom made controllers for specific displays on ebay but they are like $150 so i gave up on it

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
yea tyhats what i figured, thats the first thing i noticed about it was the controller situation.

oh well, was worth the idea