• 12 %
  • Are you kidding me?!? I love Apple products
  • 5 %
  • Love the OS, Hate the hardware
  • 6 %
  • IPod Rulz!
  • 5 %
January 19, 2008 6:13:56 AM

It's not hate, it's dislike. They remind me of Bose.

Products that are seemingly simple and great, yet overpriced and definitely not the best. Why people at school buy them, especially shuffles which sometimes cost nearly double for no LCD confuses me. I used a Mac, and while I personally find PCs better, all I really hate is their price and marketing ("Top 10 reasons to get a Mac" is a pretty funny read).
January 19, 2008 6:32:26 AM

Shadow703793, I have that exact same Athlon XP 1800+ running a dual boot with XP and linux... :) 
I think macs are wayyyyyyyyy over priced for what you get...you can build a pc for half the price and have it run on a dual boot with XP and linux...use the linux whenever your not gaming and use XP when you are...you get the best of both worlds!!! Linux is as safe (or safer) to use than macs, and like previous posters have said, macs are for ppl that have too much money on their hands and dont know how to use a pc...i simply pity them...
January 19, 2008 7:51:17 AM

I don't mind Apple, kinda like the different feel and stuff... same with Linux.
I just can't stand the idiots that use them and say that they are better then Windows.
Related resources
January 19, 2008 8:16:31 AM

*i would let job's give me oral pleasure* / someone has to
January 19, 2008 9:52:53 AM

Apple sucks! what a load of rubbish with their gay over priced hardware. All the rich kids think having an ipod is soo cool, it sucks you cant even copy music from an ipod to a pc and itunes, daaamn i hate it. i have an archos 605 wifi which can do soo many more things. larger screen, plays back al your music needs, like wmv also you can use it like a portable hdd, drag and dropping all your files and music without a problem.

and apple macs biggest waste of money ever! just look at the price to a pc and you will see. £1100 for an apple macbook air, or what ever it is acooled. and you dont even get a dvd drive built in or a ethernet!

oh and the software sucks crack! its gay i hate it, people say its soo much faster than a pc with the same specs hahaha. you must be kidding me, its rubbish.

I HATE APPLE!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2008 1:05:53 PM

Umagalis said:
:ange: 
I voted that I hate them and Apple.......BUT
there really is ONE VOTE OPTION MISSING!

:non: 

I hate the culture that Apple is spawning, I will not use the products because of it, and if they take over the world, I might then....cuz the leechy-self-righteous-whiny culture that supported it will have been sucked dry by then and maybe the company will have matured into something decent!

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

OMG.... its the next block buster hit(based on a true story) :) 
January 19, 2008 3:48:10 PM

i really don't like macs. i don't see the advantage to them. and what really bothers me is how alot of mac users feel that they're "superior" (oh please) to pc users. I was at best buy today, and one of the mac salespeople, who by the way obviously had no idea what she was talking about, was telling a fairly clueless man about how pc's crash constantly and how macs never crash. i'm sorry but that just simply isn't true.
January 19, 2008 4:27:48 PM

Nik_I said:
i really don't like macs. i don't see the advantage to them. and what really bothers me is how alot of mac users feel that they're "superior" (oh please) to pc users. I was at best buy today, and one of the mac salespeople, who by the way obviously had no idea what she was talking about, was telling a fairly clueless man about how pc's crash constantly and how macs never crash. i'm sorry but that just simply isn't true.

Thats when you step in, and explain to the guy that the mac sales person is an idiot.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2008 7:38:03 PM

^:D 

As of this post:
45 votes----Yes
19 votes-------No
8 votes------Just the Macs
1 vote---------Are you kidding me?!? I love Apple products <==wonder who voted for this :lol: 
3 votes--------- Love the OS, Hate the hardware
5votes-------IPod Rulz!

Let the Voting continue!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2008 11:52:57 PM

tlmck said:
If Mac hardware was the same price as comparable PC hardware, I would buy one, or if MacOS were available for PC, I would buy that.

I think there are ways to run MacOS on a PC now, if you really want. Not official, of course. Sorry I don't remember any details...
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 1:43:30 AM

LOL

and the lack of a TPM(trusted platform module) that makes osx run properly on a mac....well just delete the file for it and bang....works like a charm.....
January 20, 2008 1:58:58 AM

I love my $299.99 Dimension 2400 XP Home 128 MB Ram :wahoo: 
January 20, 2008 2:15:43 AM

Everyone at the gym works out with a giant brick of an ipod on their arm. They all look pretty stupid if you ask me. There's no way i could ever run or work out with one of those things weighing me down and getting in the way. The only ipod i would ever get is the shuffle but the Zen Stone and Zen Stone Plus are cheaper and better in my opinion.

The OS is ok but everything else about apple is awful IMHO.
January 20, 2008 2:22:31 AM

pshrk said:
Everyone at the gym works out with a giant brick of an ipod on their arm. They all look pretty stupid if you ask me. There's no way i could ever run or work out with one of those things weighing me down and getting in the way. The only ipod i would ever get is the shuffle but the Zen Stone and Zen Stone Plus are cheaper and better in my opinion.

The OS is ok but everything else about apple is awful IMHO.

Ya, I love the fact that I can run around the Gym with my headphones on and my mp3 player in my pocket with no cables as opposed to all the idiots wearing the scarlet letter that is the ipod. Not only is mine 10x more convienent, but if by some chances I hit or drop it I'm out $50, not $250.
January 20, 2008 2:34:14 AM

I think any computer enthusiast should be happy that macs are around. I'm not speaking about the ads and the hype around iPod/macs, just macs as a computer company.

First they offer a very solid alternative for OS. Second their hardware are usually very well designed with quality and innovation in mind. The first time I opened a MacPro I was amazed how clean and nice the layout of component was done.

I love my PC. But as a computer geek, I also enjoy to see what a company like Apple can do.

January 20, 2008 2:47:09 AM

Wow, a thread because of me! I almost feel honored!

I do not hate them for hardware they use (because they use IBM compatible now) or for the trendy looks or no upgradability, I hate them because of what many people have said before, I hate the people who think they are superior then PC users because they paid for an overpriced computer! I am sure that Mac OSX and whatever Leprosy OSX is great and all, but I just can't get use to them. And don't even try to troubleshoot one. I find it much easier to just buy a new one at work... although my boss is not a fan of that idea.

I also look at it like this. Microsoft is on their 6th OS. Apple is on their 10th or 11th OS. I am sure that when Microsoft makes their 10th or 11th Windows OS they will be far better than Apple's 10th and 11th OS. Sadly, most people overlook that.

My last rant for the night is that I really hope that as the Apple user group enlarges, the amount of viruses for Mac follows. I am tired of hearing Apple users say that they have better computers because they don’t have any issue or viruses. I am also a big reader of Maximum PC Magazine and just recently they posted an article that showed that Mac OSX Leprosy has more errors and or other issues per day then XP and Vista combined. I will be poring over my magazines to find this article to show that I am not all that crazy, just enough!

My rant is over tonight….. time for bed!
January 20, 2008 3:33:39 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Just wanted to see how many ppl. hate/love Apple ;) 

Inspired by this thread :D 
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244799-32-newsflash-i...

Sorry for posting it on this section ;)  But this is the most popular section!

Best Post gets an Award!

I couldn't find an appropriate checkbox, how unfortunate. I hate monopolies.

Apple is taking a good run at being the "only" legit supplier of digital music player tracks. Its proprietary format won't work with MP3 players (duh) and the popularity of Ipods is slowly eliminating competing sound track sources.

Of course illegal MP3's distribution probably rules the market, but that's certainly not doing anything to keep legit competitors in business.

And looking at it from the other angle...even if Ipod was superior and the slow "taking over the industry" wasn't an issue, Ipod owners would still be stuck buying their tracks from Apple only. That's just too much power to give a company over your personal choices. I'm not going to marry Steve Jobs any time soon, why would I make such a commitment to his company?
January 20, 2008 3:44:55 AM

The first machine I ever used when I was 6 was a Macintosh and I can't say that I hate apple products, but
what I really hate are those Mac users that thinks that by owing a Mac the world evolves around them and they felt they're superior.
What I don't get these days is people coming in to the place at work with their new Intel Macs and they want to install XP. I mean why would someone go and get a Mac and want to install XP? Wasn't it because they thought windows sucks so that's why they went with a Mac in the first place? Now to install XP on a Mac does not make any sense. And this one person who I've meet that can be a disgrace and give Apple a bad name was, the bastard came in with a PC laptop and after his machine was fixed and for him to shut down the PC all he did was slammed the cover and thought by doing that the machine turns off. Then I've said that is not how you turn off Windows and he said with his Mac attitude, well with my Mac all I have to do is slam my cover and it turns off. What a moron and I hope his fu*kin screen cracks! Now I've know how these stupid Mac user really are and that's
1. They think their superior but in reality they have a mind of a guacamole.
2. You can install any crappy OS in a Mac and they still think it's the best.
Even if you install Microsoft BoB.

Now for those Mac users that know that their doing and does not think their superior, I respect you.
January 20, 2008 3:55:58 AM

I hate Itunes, therefore I also hate ipod. OSX is actually pretty good though.
January 20, 2008 4:05:42 AM

MAC FTL.

So what can a Mac do that PC can't?

And then.. What does a PC do that Macs can't?

If you can answer these questions, you know the truth.

I agree that Macs can be simpler, and can SEEM like less of a pain, but come on, if you can maintain your PC, you are golden.

Blah blah blah, editing, media, blah blah... Are you gonna tell me that a PC can't edit video and audio? For the price of a mac, it could do it damn fast...

More secure? Psssh, once again, if you have half a brain and get some securities, your good. I have Zone Alarm Security Suite, and I don't even touch my crap. With auto scans and such, hassle free and virus/spyware free.

I'll give em one thing. There is less of a range of performance difference within a mac generation, while PCs range from crap to obscenely superfluously, brutally fast.

But come on... PCs are generally cheaper, and unless you are pushing some hard data, the average Joe won't notice the difference in speed. And if you jack of a PC to mac price, you got a winner, a beast...

I could go on and on, but here on tom's, I'd just be preachin to the choir.

Oh, and yea, so many mac fools I know, are arrogant.
January 20, 2008 4:15:05 AM

I hate Apple for calling their machines "Macintoshes" instead of "Granny Smiths." I personally preferred the latter, anyway. I mean, green apples make for MUCH better pies than red ones, at least in my opinion. Red apple pies just almost seem weird.

Some of the comments are priceless...
Quote:
Wow, OS X has the highest pecentage of remote exploits! But that's the highest percent out of the smallest number. Do the math, 61% of 36 exploits is 21.96 exploits. Compared to Xp's 48% of 46 exploits, which is 22.08 exploits. If you do the math for both types of exploits on each OS, you'll find that OS X has the fewest across the board.
This was so hilarious that I nearly crapped myself. :lol: 

purplerat said:
Must be a proprietary study. Apple probably financed it.

Very likely. Companies tend to do that.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 6:35:06 AM

aevm said:
I think there are ways to run MacOS on a PC now, if you really want. Not official, of course. Sorry I don't remember any details...
I have checked into it. It is not ready for primetime.

What I would really like is a 2.0 ghz Mac Mini for $300, and one of this new aluminum wireless keyboards. It works great for everything but games. Not worth $800 +$79 for the keyboard though.

a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 7:02:58 AM

Crashman said:

Apple is taking a good run at being the "only" legit supplier of digital music player tracks. Its proprietary format won't work with MP3 players (duh) and the popularity of Ipods is slowly eliminating competing sound track sources.

Of course illegal MP3's distribution probably rules the market, but that's certainly not doing anything to keep legit competitors in business.

Amazon.com is now selling MP3 files online. I think Steve Jobs should be worried about this. Too bad Amazon only sells them to people in the USA. It's kind of silly, they are happy to accept my credit card and mail me CDs to Canada, but they wouldn't let me just download the same songs as mp3. Anyway, I hope iTunes will soon have some competition.
January 20, 2008 8:34:43 AM

I'm neutral, but couldn't find that option in the poll. Maybe I'm the only one.

January 20, 2008 9:39:40 AM

I have had an Ipod Mini for a few years. It works ok. I really hate Itunes though, and how it nags me to update all the time. Seems like the newer version is clunkier and funkier and more difficult to use each time. Hate it.
January 20, 2008 11:01:35 AM

Why you dirty little Troll. I love it!

I hate the whole Cult of Mac. Total snobs.

I have a Creative Zen 4GB, has SD Card + FM Tuner, much more PC friendly too.

And I have an Opty 165, that will soon be my first Linux box. Will get OpenOffice and invest my time learning the best video encoding apps etc.

There is just so much more fun things to do with PCs, Macs are way too much $$$, and you have NO control over hardware at all.

The only intelligent view I have is this: If I saw Mac OS on BestBuy shelves, and I can install it on my PC, well, Steve Jobs would probably kill Vista. But, he is a hardware control freak, so he won't get my money. I hate being "owned" by my posessions, and Steve is all about that, and it pis*es me off royally.

So, that is all it boils down to. I hate Apple because of the "You bend over, we'll drive" philosophy they have. Otherwise, I would grab a copy of Mac OS tomorrow, just for fun.

I'll expend my energies on Linux then, thanks.
January 20, 2008 11:57:57 AM

The only real reason i hate macs / apple is because they wont open their os up to be installed on other systems. i will not ever buy a mac until i can build the sysem and put the os on it myself.
as far as ipods go, if they were drag and drop capable i would own one right now. but until itunes isn't required i'd like to think i'll never own one of those either. As far as sound quallity, ive got an iaudio that plays lossless flacs and it sounds soo much better than a comparable ipod.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 12:13:48 PM

Falken699 said:
And I have an Opty 165, that will soon be my first Linux box. Will get OpenOffice and invest my time learning the best video encoding apps etc.
The best video encoding app for Linux is Avidemux IMO. It runs on Windows and Mac as well. http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

January 20, 2008 12:25:21 PM

tlmck said:
The best video encoding app for Linux is Avidemux IMO. It runs on Windows and Mac as well. http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

Unfortunately Its not even in the same league as Adobe. Same goes for GIMP... some people swear by it... but honestly photoshop is the one and only image editor that I would ever consider using.

And I love how the Mac community talks about the "innovations" that apple has brought with OSX. Give me a break... everything OSX is was stolen from the open source linux community, or from windows (the irony there is enough to leave me breathless from laughter).
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 12:56:09 PM

nukemaster said:
LOL
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9753/osxxh7.jpg
and the lack of a TPM(trusted platform module) that makes osx run properly on a mac....well just delete the file for it and bang....works like a charm.....

Yup, I have been running Mac on a old P4.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 1:04:00 PM

skittle said:
Unfortunately Its not even in the same league as Adobe. Same goes for GIMP... some people swear by it... but honestly photoshop is the one and only image editor that I would ever consider using.

And I love how the Mac community talks about the "innovations" that apple has brought with OSX. Give me a break... everything OSX is was stolen from the open source linux community, or from windows (the irony there is enough to leave me breathless from laughter).

Agreed. The MacOS X IS based on a Linux/Linux kernel that they probably ripped off the open source community and made it "proprietary".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

Quote:
Mac OS X is based on the Mach kernel and is derived from the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) implementation of Unix in Nextstep. Nextstep was the object-oriented operating system developed by Steve Jobs' company "NeXT" after he left Apple in 1985.[5] While Jobs was away from Apple, Apple tried to create a "next-generation" OS through the Taligent and Copland projects, with little success. :lol: 
January 20, 2008 1:11:36 PM

The thing I can't figure out about Macs is if OSX is, according to Mac owners, the best thing since sliced bread, why do they need to install Windows on their Macs as well? Right there proves that PC's are still better than Macs because Mac owners have to have Windows on their machines to do what they need to do.
January 20, 2008 1:13:17 PM

Not just the core of the OS... but every 'feature' that OSX has... pretty much ripped off from the open source community.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 1:14:31 PM

spaztic7 said:
Wow, a thread because of me! I almost feel honored! ;) 

I do not hate them for hardware they use (because they use IBM compatible now) or for the trendy looks or no upgradability, I hate them because of what many people have said before, I hate the people who think they are superior then PC users because they paid for an overpriced computer! I am sure that Mac OSX and whatever Leprosy OSX is great and all, but I just can't get use to them. And don't even try to troubleshoot one. I find it much easier to just buy a new one at work... although my boss is not a fan of that idea.

I also look at it like this. Microsoft is on their 6th OS. Apple is on their 10th or 11th OS. I am sure that when Microsoft makes their 10th or 11th Windows OS they will be far better than Apple's 10th and 11th OS. Sadly, most people overlook that.

My last rant for the night is that I really hope that as the Apple user group enlarges, the amount of viruses for Mac follows. I am tired of hearing Apple users say that they have better computers because they don%u2019t have any issue or viruses.
<=== Now thats going to be fun! :D 
I am also a big reader of Maximum PC Magazine and just recently they posted an article that showed that Mac OSX Leprosy has more errors and or other issues per day then XP and Vista combined. I will be poring over my magazines to find this article to show that I am not all that crazy, just enough!

My rant is over tonight%u2026.. time for bed!

Apple Security update list:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61798

January 20, 2008 1:40:12 PM

The reason why Apple will never let the MacOS onto the PC:

Everyone who wants to get the OS does not want to pay the price for the hardware. The solution, put the OS on your own custom built computer. But wait, Apple won't let you do that. WHY?

Because the OS is not built to be stable. Let's look at it this way. Windows was designed to be run on many different types of machines. The reason it has so much code is due to two reasons: 1) Legacy support of older applications and 2) support for tens of thousands of hardware devices. MacOS was designed to run on Macs and Macs only. The reason is simple, Apple does not want to have to design the OS to run on different hardware setups. If they adjusted the OS to work on multiple types of setups, two things would happen: 1) The OS would explode due to all the modifications required to support the many types of hardware and have each component work together and 2) Apple would NEVER be able to support the OS because people who put it on their own computer would run into so many problems and the size of the company is too small to support the millions of people who would mess things up.

MacOS was built to be simple and will stay that way which is why we Windows users will never see it on our own computers. :whistle: 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 1:49:34 PM

^You can run MacOS with a Linux based emulator ON PC.

Image by nukemaster
January 20, 2008 1:53:05 PM

There is a project go get osx running on PCs... OSX86.
Although I dont see the point in tainting your nice clean PC with ugly OSX
January 20, 2008 2:10:49 PM

I didn't mean it couldn't be done. I've known about OSx86 and of course it can work as long as you know what you're doing. Ordinary people would never consider trying this. It also says in Apple's EULA that you cannot use the OS on any hardware other than a Mac computer. So if you break the laws, then yes you can do it, but you will never be supported by Apple (or maybe even your computer manufacturer or MS after the fact).

The day will never come when you will be legally allowed to put the MacOS onto a machine other than a Mac.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 2:12:59 PM

well unlike installing it....that was just a matter of copying an image with linux....that picture was in vmware....
January 20, 2008 3:32:49 PM

runswindows95 said:
The thing I can't figure out about Macs is if OSX is, according to Mac owners, the best thing since sliced bread, why do they need to install Windows on their Macs as well? Right there proves that PC's are still better than Macs because Mac owners have to have Windows on their machines to do what they need to do.

I can think of many reasons why a mac users would want to install windows on a mac. Maybe he already own apps that runs on windows, maybe he wants to play games not available on OSX, maybe there is a specific app available on windows only, maybe he's a switcher from windows and wants a smooth transition, maybe he's curious about OS, maybe maybe...

It doesn't prove anything, just as people who install Linux or OSX on their PC doesn't mean windows isn't good.

Again, I can't understand why people would hate windows or OSX or linux. I mean, neither one can't be total garbage. Maybe it isn't suitable for what you want to do with a computer, but hate it for that? Or because of the so called community that use the product? Or worse, because you don't like the guy at the head of the company (Gates or Jobs)?

Seem to me a bit excessive.
January 20, 2008 4:34:49 PM

niz said:
I've never understood why anoyne would buy an Ipod when there are much better and cheaper players out there. (no, not the Zune).
The one reason I went with iPod is 3rd party support. iPods plug into clock radios, portable video players, boom boxes, and even a few toys accept them. I wanted a player that I could connet to and control from a car stereo. I haven't found anything else that fits the bill. Zune and Sansa are gaining a little traction in this area, but all others still fall short. Too bad, I would have loved to be able to consider other products, but I must admit that love my 5G - the sound quality is top notch.

Oh, and iTunes. It's sluggish, and isn't the most intuative piece of software. But I subscribe to about 5 podcasts, and AFAIK there isn't much else that serves as a universal gateway for content providers to deploy content directly to subscriber's players in a more-or-less trouble free manner.

a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2008 10:35:50 PM

As of this post:
64 votes----Yes
26 votes-------No
12 votes------Just the Macs
2 vote---------Are you kidding me?!? I love Apple products <==wonder who voted for this :lol: 
6 votes--------- Love the OS, Hate the hardware
6 votes-------IPod Rulz!
January 21, 2008 9:38:10 AM

This is Madox's best article ever and definitely worth the read:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_ca...

Everything he says is so true. Most mac users believe its a social movement. They're buying a piece of freaking hardware for crying out loud.

As a computer and network support specialist, I troubleshoot PCs and a few random macs that people insisted on getting. This one lady in the building swears on her mac and she refers to her operating system as "the leopard." We sometimes joke about it in the office and attach random the's to things like "the Vista" or "the Linux." She insists that her mac never has problems even though we've gone up to fix things on her computer multiple times. As a result of her false claims, a few people near her office have also bought macs because "they just work." Bullshi*. They have just as many problems as PCs and the problem with mac users is that they are generally so stupid that they can't even figure out simple things. They've been given a dumbed down OS that is so easy to use that they never developed their brain enough to figure out how to do simple troubleshooting on their computer.

Macs suck, plain and simple. There are far fewer programs written for OSX and you have no options when selecting hardware. If all mac users use their mac for is reading email and surfing the web (Which the vast majority of mac users do as we are talking about the simple minded portion of the computer user base.), then why the crap did they spend $2000 dollars instead of $500 for a PC that can do the same thing? So some say that they like the look of macs. That they look cool?? I'll pass. I'll take my antec 900 case over a piece of shi* silver mac case any day.

If you want to be different, use Linux. KDE has way more bells and whistles and eye candy than leopard can dream of. If you want an OS that runs all the apps and games that you want to use and is easy as crap to use and troubleshoot if you do happen to run into problems, then use windows.

Ipods fall into the same bag of crap that macs do. They choose looks and trendiness (trendy according to lame apple commercials and the suckers who fall for it) over mp3 players that offer more and better features. I remember when the ipod nano first came out and I was like... Oh, that's cool. An mp3 player with an lcd screen and flash memory that I don't have to worry about skipping every time I go running with it. Does it have an FM tuner? No. (An FM tuner is a wonderful feature for listening to football games when I'm on the run.) Does it have memory expansion options? No. Does it play video? No. Does it support a wide range of formats? No. How's the sound quality? Sucks. After looking over the ipod nano I decided to go with a Sandisk sansa e200 series, which had all of these features but at a lower price than the featureless nano. Now with the latest and greatest version of the ipod nano they finally decided to incorporate video playback into it. Too bad they are years behind other companies and they still require you to use itunes instead of dragging and dropping into a folder.
January 21, 2008 10:39:32 AM

If Apple was a girl it would be "Paris Hilton" Overpriced,bitchy does the same thing everyone does but less....but loves the publicity.
January 21, 2008 11:41:58 AM

I've been a PC user for 2 decades now, working in the IT industry for 11 years, and picked up a Mac Mini a couple years ago (G4) to familiarize myself with the OS since some of my customers used Macs.
I've re-built my PC twice since then, installed a variety of Ubuntu flavors and tried Vista, but the Mini is still running the factory install, power up 24/7, serving music, browsing, email, and remote access without requiring a restart except for updates.
The Mac did act as a Trojan though, I've since purchased 2 iPods, and now an iPhone.
There will always be fan-boys at the extremes of any spectrum, and I appreciate them, for they provide no end of amusement.
January 21, 2008 12:31:04 PM

owning a MAC doesnt make you a better designer. the OS is not an isue wen you are desining a graphic piece or editing a video. besides it i think MACs are overpriced especialy since they use intel and diched the scsi drives. about the mp3 players y must say the same. if you are looking for a good mp3 player look at crwative, sound great, look great, and wont hurt your wallet. also you must have in mind that mp3 and acc compress the file so no matter what is the brand of the device, it wont be as good as the cd version.
January 21, 2008 12:37:14 PM

flip_x said:
Sound Quality... big difference when i used a cheap mp3 player vs the ipod..

Amen. I have owned a few mp3 players, the latest being a 5.5 gen iPod Video. Using the exact same files and the same pair of headphones (good ones, too) the iPod sounds significantly better than the other players. Its GUI matches its sound and build quality too.

Everybody in my office knows that I am the PAD guy and brings me their players to ask "what do you think?". I politely tell them that their devices are great but so far, none have been a match for the iPod.

As for mac users attitudes - I'm with most people. Ignorance and arrogance are an unattractive mix.
January 21, 2008 1:04:24 PM

Well, i used to hate the computers but love the ipods.
Then i bought the brand new ipod touch, brilliant bit of kit. (Until...)

Plugged into into my PC, turns out 64bit Windows OS's arent supported (Now it says this in small print on there website, but when i bought it there wasnt a hint of a problem.) - Apple said its microsofts problem. (Lol!)

It was suggested i setup a virtual machine and use the touch via that, so i whacked out a windows 2k CD & installed virtual machine, updated it from default to SP4(?) as Itunes & a few other programs said it needs to be updated, so after a few hours of that.... Itunes refused to work with Windows 2k all together.

So i wiped out that VM, installed XP... updated from default to SP2, after a few hours of that i had to tweak the virtual machines settings so it would pick up the ipod, and it did!.... then my entire system blue screened. (This system has NEVER blue screened before[7months old]) i then tried it again & eventually got it to detect the ipod touch without killing my system, but alas, itunes kicked up a fuss & refused to work on VM with a x64 host OS. (Also while doing this i had sent Apple 3 emails over the space of a week, no replys + made a post on there "Support" forum, no replys.)

Anyway, extreme peeved at apples smoke screen & lack of customer support, but i still loved the device itself & i had hoped an update for itunes was imminent.

They then released there "1.3 update with software", so i went over to a friends & downloaded this update (£12.99 what a screw job, as if apple needed another reason to get bad press!), i installed it (After about 3 attempts & eventually restoring ipod to factory settings etc).

Now then left side of my screen doesnt work so i cant hit the "1" or "_" keys, and barely the shift button, apply replied with a standard "Make sure battery is fully charged" "Do a hard reset" "Restore factory settings" email... none of which worked.

And, this ipod doesnt work with the USB socket on my car radio unlike my past ipods, granted its not an "ipod-ready" radio, but still... just another nail in the coffin.

All in all, im sick of Apples smoke screens & lies, im sick of there extremely poor customer support, im sick of apples community, im sick of apples fanboys, im SICK OF APPLE.

Heres my receipt give me my bloody money back! *off to store where purchased now!*

January 21, 2008 1:20:58 PM

kbits said:
I can think of many reasons why a mac users would want to install windows on a mac. Maybe he already own apps that runs on windows, maybe he wants to play games not available on OSX, maybe there is a specific app available on windows only, maybe he's a switcher from windows and wants a smooth transition, maybe he's curious about OS, maybe maybe...

Kbits, the point I was really making was I thought the main reason people got a Mac was to get rid of Windows, but ironically they still need Windows to do anything. This alone proves that OSX is not as good as the Mac fanatics claim it is. Also, the subdued point I was making, which you valeted for me as well, is why spend $2,000 on a iMac when a $600 HP machine will do the same exact thing and so much more.

January 21, 2008 1:45:20 PM

winkgood said:
Does it have an FM tuner? No. (An FM tuner is a wonderful feature for listening to football games when I'm on the run.) Does it have memory expansion options? No. Does it play video? No. Does it support a wide range of formats?
Are the batteries user replaceable? No. :fou: 
winkgood said:
How's the sound quality? Sucks.
Have to take issue with you there - not all of them suck. My 5.5G is fantastic, and IIRC the 2G Nanos are pretty good as well. Earlier versions weren't as good though, and I hear that 6G (and 3G Nanos) may have some sound quality issues.

• Previous
    • 2 / 6
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!