• 6 %
  • IPod Rulz!
  • 5 %
January 24, 2008 1:29:42 AM

I hate anything with the words Apple and Mac in them like:

Apple Pie
Apple Juice
Candied Apple
The Big Apple (I consider myself a Manhattanite)
Mac & Cheese
Big Mac
January 24, 2008 5:18:07 AM

jaguarskx said:
I hate anything with the words Apple and Mac in them like:

Apple Pie
Apple Juice
Candied Apple
The Big Apple (I consider myself a Manhattanite)
Mac & Cheese
Big Mac

CAREFUL NOW! :non: 
There may be some copyright issues here that you are shedding light on!!!! :lol:  :pt1cable:  :whistle: 
I also would not want to be the guy accused somehow of defaming some company by referring to them in some common paltry sense that demeans them more than the food that is hated.....

sad though, certain words now hold a distaste as a result of "some" companies in my mind as well..... :kaola:  :kaola: 
January 24, 2008 6:06:51 AM

jaguarskx said:

Big Mac

I second that one, it's not even small!
Related resources
January 24, 2008 7:24:53 AM

SirCrono said:
I've used macs at college and find them to be quite useless, and cmon just one button in a mouse it's plain stupid.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=CBC533A1&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/mice_keyboards&nplm=MB111LL/A
It actually is a 3 button mouse now.
Course that is more of a recent thing, but third-party mice with 2+ buttons have worked with Macs for quite some time just like they do in Windows. Just saying. I agree though, years ago using a one button mouse was stupid. Glad Apple finally changed that.

They are very different platforms but let's not forget that the hardware inside is largely the same, now more than ever. Mac's all come with Intel C2D's...so a Mac and a PC are extremely comparable in terms of performance and capabilities. And they have had the same memory and graphics cards and hard drives that PC's have had too obviously. It's not like there is some magical company out there that makes parts only for Apple that are sooo much better than the parts used in PC's. It just comes in a much different packaging with the Mac, for better or worse. The only thing that still separates them is the OS, but that largely depends on what someone is more used to. But Mac screwed themselves with their proprietary crap.

Would I choose to use a Mac over a PC, even being able to run Windows on it? Nope. I like being able to upgrade or fix something myself and being able to pick and choose exactly what parts I want and nothing more. Does that mean I hate Apple's hardware? Not at all. I love the design and the compactness of say, the iMac. (Although I frickin hated the look of the original iMac, stupid fruity-colored CRT's). I like Apple's products, for the most part. It's always nice to use the new iMacs at school but I still prefer my PC for the things that I like to do. I love the iPod but the battery is still HORRIBLE. And some say that having to use it with iTunes is bad. Meh, I don't mind that...I just hate how iTunes is such a resource hog on Windows.

The thing I do hate about Apple is, as many have already mentioned, the attitude of Apple users. I know a number of diehard Apple fans that are so smug about their personal computing and that's just stupid and unnecessary. It's a computer! At the same time though, I have the same contempt for people that take their cars too seriously. Yeah sure, you have a BMW. It's nice. Good for you. You overpaid to get from point A to point B. Get over yourself. Same thing in this case. Yeah, Mac's are nice. If you have the money to spare, more power to you. But it's still just a pile of metal, silicon, wires, and plastic...just like my PC...which does the same thing. It's not a cultural movement for cryin out loud.
January 24, 2008 2:18:08 PM

fueled_by_ramen said:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=CBC533A1&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/mice_keyboards&nplm=MB111LL/A
It actually is a 3 button mouse now.
Course that is more of a recent thing, but third-party mice with 2+ buttons have worked with Macs for quite some time just like they do in Windows. Just saying. I agree though, years ago using a one button mouse was stupid. Glad Apple finally changed that.

I have to say, Apple has picked up some steam of recent and they have made a better OS of recent. But they also dropped the ball with quality and making sure their recent releases of OS or built strong and have little defects. No, Leopard has dropped the ball.

fueled_by_ramen said:
They are very different platforms but let's not forget that the hardware inside is largely the same, now more than ever. Mac's all come with Intel C2D's...so a Mac and a PC are extremely comparable in terms of performance and capabilities. And they have had the same memory and graphics cards and hard drives that PC's have had too obviously. It's not like there is some magical company out there that makes parts only for Apple that are sooo much better than the parts used in PC's. It just comes in a much different packaging with the Mac, for better or worse. The only thing that still separates them is the OS, but that largely depends on what someone is more used to. But Mac screwed themselves with their proprietary crap.

There have been benchmarks done that show Macs faster then PC's (laptops, excluding desktop replacement laptops). This is good news if you like Macs and only read the title but bad news Mac if you read the articles. They have been using bran new Macbooks vs. 8 month old Windows laptops. There are major differences in the hardware (the PC having the lower grade hardware in it) and then the Mac normally only wins by a point or two. The sad thing is not that the Macbook won, but it almost lost to PC's that have inferior hardware (slower hardware). That alone shows that the current Windows platforms (XP or Vista) run more efficiently then OSX.

fueled_by_ramen said:
Would I choose to use a Mac over a PC, even being able to run Windows on it? Nope. I like being able to upgrade or fix something myself and being able to pick and choose exactly what parts I want and nothing more. Does that mean I hate Apple's hardware? Not at all. I love the design and the compactness of say, the iMac. (Although I frickin hated the look of the original iMac, stupid fruity-colored CRT's). I like Apple's products, for the most part. It's always nice to use the new iMacs at school but I still prefer my PC for the things that I like to do. I love the iPod but the battery is still HORRIBLE. And some say that having to use it with iTunes is bad. Meh, I don't mind that...I just hate how iTunes is such a resource hog on Windows.

Well, the fruity CRTs.... The company is named after and run by a fruit.

fueled_by_ramen said:
The thing I do hate about Apple is, as many have already mentioned, the attitude of Apple users. I know a number of diehard Apple fans that are so smug about their personal computing and that's just stupid and unnecessary. It's a computer! At the same time though, I have the same contempt for people that take their cars too seriously. Yeah sure, you have a BMW. It's nice. Good for you. You overpaid to get from point A to point B. Get over yourself. Same thing in this case. Yeah, Mac's are nice. If you have the money to spare, more power to you. But it's still just a pile of metal, silicon, wires, and plastic...just like my PC...which does the same thing. It's not a cultural movement for cryin out loud.

Good points here, but we also have to realize that there are PC owners who are just as smug about their PC's. I have a theory about Apple owners. If you own a Mac, you drive a VW. If you drive a VW, this does not mean you own a Mac. I say this because of all the people I know who have a Mac, they all have a VW except 1 person. Whenever I drive, I normally see the Apple logo on the back of VW's. This is just my observation.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2008 11:10:40 PM

I love this thread :D  :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2008 9:51:30 PM

As of this post:
107 votes----Yes <== Past 100! :D 
39 votes-------No
21 votes------Just the Macs
8 vote---------Are you kidding me?!? I love Apple products <==wonder who voted for this :lol: 
9 votes--------- Love the OS, Hate the hardware
10 votes-------IPod Rulz!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2008 9:29:29 PM

I feel like starting this thread @ a pro-Mac forum and seeing what they have to say. :lol: 
January 26, 2008 10:28:46 PM

I love Apple products. I've had a Dual G4 and several iPods. Yes, they're overpriced...but so are a lot of things. Apple products always elegant and well-crafted to me.
January 27, 2008 4:56:24 PM

Shadow703793 said:
I feel like starting this thread @ a pro-Mac forum and seeing what they have to say. :lol: 

Make sure when you do start it to show this poll!!! :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2008 5:09:32 PM

I just say don't knock em till you try it. Found out something I didn't know the other day while studying for my apple certification, did you guys know I think it was Apple's G5's had quads in them a couple of years ago, maybe it was a different system, but kind weird huh? Didn't know that.....
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2008 7:06:55 PM

was it duals with 2 threads per cpu? I do remember when the G5 came out. There as a dual socket system....
January 27, 2008 7:32:21 PM

The G4 and G5 models both had dual-dual core PPC options, but I'd not call that a quad, not really.. But it accomplished the same purpose, I suppose, if one just counts cores.
January 27, 2008 8:05:21 PM

I have an second gen I-pod nano and I like it works great and Itunes is stable on my computer (vista business).

I like the mac OS but I have to say that if they sold it for general use I would use in on my PC.

I got a sony Vaio notebook (1gb ram and 1.5 Ghz Core 2) and it runs vista ok but vista needs more then 1 GB ram. I installed Ubuntu linux on it and it worked out of the box. I was going to get a macbook but the same hardware was $300 more expensive.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2008 8:53:03 PM

Im probably going to get banned from there :lol: 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2008 8:54:02 PM

Wow banned already Less than 5 minutes!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2008 8:59:32 PM

a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2008 10:02:41 PM

wow, banned for a honest question.....
January 27, 2008 10:06:24 PM

Shadow703793 said:

:pt1cable:  Let the mayhem begin! I wonder if it would be possible to have a real serious thread like that there???? UPDATE: I was AFK while the thread was started.....too bad, I might have guessed a ban if I had thought about it, given the pattern of censoring in the forums.....WOW! :ange: 

halcyon said:
I love Apple products. I've had a Dual G4 and several iPods. Yes, they're overpriced...but so are a lot of things. Apple products always elegant and well-crafted to me.

HMMM, sounds like someone hasn't seen past the censored topics in the forums......

ohiou_grad_06 said:
I just say don't knock em till you try it. Found out something I didn't know the other day while studying for my apple certification, did you guys know I think it was Apple's G5's had quads in them a couple of years ago, maybe it was a different system, but kind weird huh? Didn't know that.....

Apple has had some serious steps in place well before the PC market moved there like quads and a 64bit O/S....but wow, what diff did it make? The revolutionary change to the computer world was when PC did it, not when Apple did it....who cares who did it first?
It is interesting to know and only fair to say that I have known of advantages that Apple may have had over the PC world, but they aren't that great anymore and I would not trade in my Vista machine until the day I Apple takes over the world and shows me a machine I can get parts/support from anyone/anywhere and its as cheap as the old PC stuff !
January 28, 2008 3:09:14 PM

Shadow703793 said:

LOL!!!!

You are my hero!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2008 11:56:31 PM

^Thank you :D 
January 29, 2008 12:15:38 AM

I'm on a MacBook right now. And I'm liking Leopard much more than Vista. Even more than XP. I doubt Windows laptops allow for two-finger scroll, multiple desktops, a fast spotlight, screenshot straight to .png, etc.

engrpiman said:
I was going to get a macbook but the same hardware was $300 more expensive.

I am almost positive that for similar hardware, a macbook is similar priced.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2008 4:20:40 AM

For 2 finger scroll its only a matter of drivers(and of course a multi touch compatible touch pad[I Admit those are rare and apple has the market there, I will also admit i really like the multi touch idea, but i like my mouse better]).

Nvidia has had multidesktop as an option for ever. I personally see no use....Multi screen, now thats a different story..

Fast spotlight? Never seen that, but the last OS-x i used was one revision earlier....

Screen shots straight to any format you want is just as easy with any third party software....In fact anything can be done with software.I am glad its not PDF anymore :) 

For the longest time Apples has done massive price gouging on there hardware. Thats a fact. They are however getting much better on prices(at least on the mac pro line, but they are still more expensive for average computers). Just a few months ago toms had a article about a self build vs getting a mac pro....and the price was allot higher(on the mac pro....) then it is now......

I am not knocking mac users....its there choice. For me, windows does exactly what i want it to(games/movies/music[I consider the price not bad since it replaces a console, dvd player, pvr and cd player + does all that computery stuff])....
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2008 9:03:59 PM

sneamia said:
I'm on a MacBook right now. And I'm liking Leopard much more than Vista. Even more than XP. I doubt Windows laptops allow for two-finger scroll, multiple desktops, a fast spotlight, screenshot straight to .png, etc.

I am almost positive that for similar hardware, a macbook is similar priced.

Sure PCs can do all of it as long as you have the correct software (for screen shots look at SnagIt, can do much more than just capture screens), see: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/screencapturefree/Free_Screen_Capture_Tools_for_Windows.htmthere is also Snipping Tool in Windows Vista. And the fact is there are still more free software for any OS like XP,etc and even Linux :kaola:  Oh yeah and how many vertual desktops can you run on a Mac. I can run about 15 on my E2180 XP x64. :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2008 9:09:48 PM

Oh and yeah. Could some one find (real) Crysys benchmark running on Mac hardware using XP/Vista? (Found a lot of fakes, ie. a X1900, 2GB RAM and XP running it at 1280*600 with every thing on high @ 40fps :lol: )
January 29, 2008 9:35:07 PM

Actually, in Windows, all you need is Paint to capture a screenshot. All you do is hit Print Screen and copy into Paint. Besides, if I want multi-desktops, it's called Linux.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2008 10:54:59 PM

I had to...
January 29, 2008 11:54:14 PM

they should have had a commercial:

PC: "hey apple when you made the ipod touch why did it take over 6 months for an itunes update that let vista 64 users connect their new ipods and have them function correctly"

APPLE: " Thank you for your post on apple forums your thread was deleted since it falls under the category of : Spam, Speculation , or Abusive discussion. " Come check out our new Leopard O/S it has Leopard skin background oohhhh AHhhhhhh.........
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 12:12:10 AM

^Price less. Just look at my post above.
January 30, 2008 12:36:04 AM

sneamia said:
I doubt Windows laptops allow for two-finger scroll, multiple desktops, a fast spotlight, screenshot straight to .png, etc.

All of those "features" are stolen from GNU/linux (which theyve had for YEARS), not to mention they were and are available on windows.
January 30, 2008 1:12:02 AM

So much love for Apple...

I think we should start a company call Orange... or Banana! and use a version of Unix that will work on IBM compatible chips (like Intel or AMD) and then sell it either for free/production cost.... or double whatever a reasonable price would be.

wait.....
January 30, 2008 1:34:09 AM

I still want to see a PC vs Mac commercial where the PC dude walks out looking like the main character to the hottest FPS at the time (hell, even to come out dressed like Master Chief), and asks Mac, "You want to play? Oh wait, you can't."
January 30, 2008 11:24:25 AM

runswindows95 said:
I still want to see a PC vs Mac commercial where the PC dude walks out looking like the main character to the hottest FPS at the time (hell, even to come out dressed like Master Chief), and asks Mac, "You want to play? Oh wait, you can't."

+1
January 30, 2008 12:26:29 PM

I build desktop computers (mostly XP OS) and own an Intel iMac. I bought the mac because I wanted a machine that worked all the time. Curiously enough, it does. I add freeware all the time, lose files (due to my Mac OS X ignorance), and it runs no matter what. On the other hand, I find that no matter what, I still like tweaking MS-based PCs, even though XP drives me crazy and I think it's a cruddy product with crappy support. It's a fun challenge to get something with bad ingredients to run smoothly. If I new more about Mac OS X I'd probably tweak them more and might prefer them...

Anymore I don't compare Macs and "PCs" (whatever you call MS-based OS machines) -- they're different. They suit different needs in different ways. I love a lot about Macs (more intuitive in my opinion), and I love some things about my XP machines (keystroke combinations, for example). Of all of the machines in my house, the OS's I rely on the most (especially for new builds) are Kubuntu and Ubuntu -- I find myself going back to them over and over for disk configuration & things like that. Wish I knew more about them... mcaren
January 30, 2008 2:01:13 PM

Mcaren, I think you said something that applies to a lot of us.

We like the challenge of Windows. We like the challenge of taking bad ingredients and making them work well together. Windows has never fails us in that regard. ...there's always something to fix.

...in fact, many of us have jobs because of that. I dare think that if there were more Mac in the world there would be less of a need for techs.

I've had a Mac. I liked it, it was fun. ...but I like the "challenge" that Windows presents. Like that old American car. ...it feels good when you get it working well.

I think many people don't necessarily feel that way, they just want a computer to work, like their toaster or microwave. I think Macs are better at providing that.

...but I'm glad I have my PCs. They keep me paid.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 2:49:51 PM

Quote:
I think many people don't necessarily feel that way, they just want a computer to work, like their toaster or microwave. I think Macs are better at providing that.

But..... my microwave sometimes does not cook well(still cold in the center yet "burnt"[dried out] on the outside) even with the same thing....and my toaster randomly burns my toast.....the coffee pot is bug free tho :) 
January 30, 2008 5:20:48 PM

hmmm, maybe its time for me to going into microwave/toaster tech support.

That would be a miserable job, having to explain to people how to use a toaster or microwave.
January 30, 2008 5:36:23 PM

LOL.

You folks know what I meant. Many folks want a Mac because they believe they'll have to troubleshoot it less than they would a Windows-based computer. IMO, many of the time Macs do fulfill that requirement. ...but you pay the premium for that in $$ and platform flexibility.

I learned that since I actually enjoy tinkering that a Mac not only cost me more $$ but took away much of the fun of tinkering and customizing. I really really really like some of the Mac hardware (elegant, it is) but even if $$ wasn't a concern I'd always want my customized PC that I can upgrade with what I want...when I want.

Spaztic7, I just read your signature. That's classic and hilarious.
January 30, 2008 6:58:27 PM

halcyon said:
LOL.

You folks know what I meant. Many folks want a Mac because they believe they'll have to troubleshoot it less than they would a Windows-based computer. IMO, many of the time Macs do fulfill that requirement. ...but you pay the premium for that in $$ and platform flexibility.

I learned that since I actually enjoy tinkering that a Mac not only cost me more $$ but took away much of the fun of tinkering and customizing. I really really really like some of the Mac hardware (elegant, it is) but even if $$ wasn't a concern I'd always want my customized PC that I can upgrade with what I want...when I want.

Spaztic7, I just read your signature. That's classic and hilarious.

Thank you for to complement, its from the movie Mean Girls.

I agree with you. And to be honest, my next lappy will probably be a MAC.... I know, I hate them and all, but I will use it for internet browesing and thats about it. I will keep my desktop a PC, I like you want the challenge.

I think I am like Michale Jackson, my computer is almost a year old and I feel like selling it. It intrests me no more. I want a new challenge, and AMD is where I am headed. I am trying to wait until B3 comes out, but my computer is officaly for sale now for ~$1500.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 7:22:43 PM

spaztic7 said:

I think I am like Michale Jackson, my computer is almost a year old and I feel like selling it. It intrests me no more. I want a new challenge, and AMD is where I am headed. I am trying to wait until B3 comes out, but my computer is officaly for sale now for ~$1500.

You probably don't want to compare your self to Jackson. Its never a good idea ;) 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 7:23:25 PM

Mac BSOD
January 30, 2008 8:10:26 PM

Shadow703793 said:
You probably don't want to compare your self to Jackson. Its never a good idea ;) 

lol, good point.
January 30, 2008 8:38:23 PM

In my IT experience over the past 15 years. My users who spout off about owning Macs are my worst PC users. Once again giving credibility that Macs are computers for people who want to pretend that they are using a computer. I have an IPOD my wife bought for $400 and I have considered it worthless with its DRM.

On the flip sides, Macs have gotten WAY betteer since they actually became PC's.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 9:50:28 PM

^Oh.... the irony.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2008 11:36:44 PM

I think this is one of the most longest running that haven't been locked by turpit.(Cause there is no flaming on this one so far :D  )
!