j_waylec

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I have searched these forums and the net for people with similar problems and came up with nothing so here goes...
My E2160 runs sweet @ 355x9 (3.2ghz) 1.45mhz core with all other voltages set to auto, temps at these settings are 29 idle and 61 load. This overclock runs 100% stable 12 hours small fft's on prime 95. I run a Coolermaster GeminII with 2x 120mm fans b.t.w...

I Need more! I can get a stable 3.5ghz (388x9) @ 1.55volts, +-6 hours prime stable before I stopped it. Everything runs like a dream, I can play games, surf reboot ect with zero probs... Idle 32 load 71. THE PROBLEM: Whenever I power down for more than 10 minutes I can not get the setup to post again! It starts up and the GT's fan goes balls to the wall for about 15 seconds and then starts with my bios settings reset! I have tried upping the voltages N/b, S/b and Ram no luck. I have tried swapping the ram around no luck. Im sure that I will be flamed for being greedy! So please comment even if it is to point that out.

j_waylec

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
My System BTW...
EVGA 650I Ultra MOBO
E2160 @ 3.2ghz (355x9)
2x 1gb DDR800 (A-Data El'Cheapo 5-5-5-18)
XFX 8800GT 660/960
250Gb Hitachi Deskstar

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
ya it is on the greedy side...lol
But you're pushing into the very edge of the dies capabilities...only very rare cores can go the distance. Your bios is probably picking up the 1.55 vcore and not liking it...as the info embedded on the die probably states something like vmax =1.5v....etc.
Live with the 3.2GHZ you've acheived it's very impressive! Maybe save for that all imprtant Q6600 and oc that to get the 3.5+GHZs.
Remember that your E2160 is a dual core not a core 2 duo...or quad!
Hope this helps and enjoy your speed!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
yeah that is very normal believe me.i have 3 650i build with those lower E2xxx CPU they all have cold boot problem the only way around it is lower your OC

OR

everything when you boot it up and when you see the post screen then press reset button then your OC will apply once it boot again.

and its surprise you can get 3.2Ghz OC but your voltage is higher enough to damamge the silicon inside in about less then a year since even professional OCer wouldnt dare to run their system above 1.5V. but its our processor its fried then it will be out of your own pocket!

good luck anyway:)

j_waylec

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
So what you are saying iluvgillgill is that when I experience the cold boot problem I should wait for the machine to eventually post and when it presents me with the CPU clockspeed error or whatever the message is I should then reset and it should boot up fine? I will give that a go! I know 1.55v is pushing it a bit, but I say screw that! I want every ounce I can get from it and I dont thing I will have it a year from now! By that time it would be ebay'd and forgotten and I would hopefully be running a 45nm wolfdale or nahelem! These chips are dirt cheap anyway, not that I believe in wasting money but if it has to go then so be it!

Hopefully the good folks at EVGA will answer my pleas and release a bios that sorts this out soon! I doubt it though as this chipset is EOL and I dont think it takes very high prioraty...

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Yea, I have E2180 with EVGA 650i Ultra. That exact problem happens to me too. To me it looks like a BIOS problem, but I doubt EVGA will release any new BIOS update for this motherboard.