help Troubleshooting A new system motherboard no video

Vaylgar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I need some help as I have never had a problem like I am having today. I have a new system I built and have been running fine for the last 4 days . The system is as follows,
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad core CPU
MSI K9A2 CF Motherboard
GEIL PC8500 1066mhz Evo Ram 2 Gigs 2x1gig sticks
Fatailty series Geforce 8500 GT 512 meg card
Antec 850W PSU
Antec nine hundred Gaming Case

This is what occured last night I got an update saying I needed to update my drivers on the GEforce 8500 Fatailty Card so I downloaded the new drivers 169.21 version , I had a newer set already installed I had downloaded a few days earlier but was having bad GFX tearing problems in my games and apps so since they recommended I go back to 169.21 I installed the new package as normal and it requiested a Reboot. I hit yes. when the reboot began to take place and the apps began to shut down I got a spam of error messages for memory errors at address FJA4xxs4 type messages and then the computer shut down. upon it trying to reboot my screen went black and stayed black , I cant even get into the BIOS I assumed the Video card burned out , so I drove 3 hours today to the Best buy store where I purchased this card , got a new one drove home tonight and wouldnt you know SAME PROBLEM even with the new card. I am now worried the problem is my motherboard. everything powers up , all the fans including the CPU fan Fire up all the devices seem to work, all the LEDS and normal sounds are abound, but nothing on the screen with the new card. I am used to if ai motherboard is bad it not powering up. can someone offer some insight?
PLEASE!

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Try to CMOS clear first if you haven't done it.

Your problem seems so strange to me. Do you overclock your system?

Vaylgar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
No , I dont overclock it at all it was running at default , matter of fact due to problems with the motherboard I found out after I purchased it , even though they say they support the Evo 1066mhz ram it will only run at 800 , I went through support with Geil and we set the voltages and CLS settings correctly and weird enough it did the same thing its doing now, only difference is I could fix it and clear the BIOS with removing the battery or using the jumper to reset to get screen back ,in this situation ive reset it 3 times and no change I still get a blank screen. very very strange to me , ive been working on computers and building them for 15 years and never had this happen before. im clueless , ive even taken out the ram and tried to boot it , I got no alarm beeps or anything , did exactly the same thing , blank screen.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Indeed, it's really strange.

I remember that I have same problems on some laptops, but mostly it's fixed with removing battery.

For desktop, I had only one experience, back around 6-7 years ago, when I burned my memory and mobo. But that because my friend put the memory with wet hand, and I didn't realize until it's too late *sigh. But system dead due to driver update, no I never had this.

Recently I had system dead like yours with my laptop after I update the BIOS, after that it went dead. Had to take it to the service center.

Anyway, in this stage it's safe to say that the mobo is defect. Try to get it replaced as it seems still under warranty.