Is this Storage Setup good? Or Ridiculous?

mindreign

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
So I'm waiting for a bit before jumping into the market as my current PC is still awesome...but...here's what I had in mind.

I currently have 2 18gb U120 15k rpm SCSI Drives (yes, that small, but like 6 yrs old lol) in Raid 0 (never failed), so I want to maintain that performance.

1.) 2x 146gb SAS 15k U320 drives in RAID 0 for apps
2.) 2x 32GB SSD drives in RAID 0 for OS.
3.) 2x 1TB SATA2 10k drives in RAID1 for everything else. (movies, music, etc etc)

I won't get into models and spec, but that's what I'm leaning towards. The fast solid state drives simply for OS. I saw benchmarks that showed Raid 0 nearly doubling the read on those drives, whereas raid 0 doesn't show that much of a speed increase on magnetic drives. Also, the 15k Serial Attached SCSI drives for games and apps, and the 1TB with parity for my important data.

A bit by bit image of the SSD and SAS drives would easily plug into the 1TB once a month just in case, which is why I'd prefer the performance increase over the parity.

Let me know what you guys think, as I've only spent a little bit of time coming up with this solution.

Thank you!

-Curt

A bit overkill for sure, though fast. Are you sure you want to spend that much money?

You do mean 7200RPM drives for the 1TB ones though, right? I don't think 10krpm 1TB drives are available.

mindreign

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Well, considering I spent $500 for the solution I bought 6 or 7 years ago, it was well worth the investment. This solution i've priced at right around $900, but it would most likely carry with me longer than my first setup, which I carried through 3 different cases and system upgrades.

When you break it down, you only shave off 10-20 seconds of bootup time, and a few seconds here and there when opening up documents, pdfs, etc...but...once you're used to all that, it's just hard to go back.

As for the 1TB 10krpm drives, they're out there, but by the time I'm ready to dive in and buy it all, that $900 will be down to around $500, so I don't think I'll pass it up =-P

TRENDING THREADS