I need some suggestions on a motherboard.

wizper

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I need some help picking out a motherboard for a system that I want to build. This will (hopefully) be my first successful build so I don't really have any experience to go by except for one failed attempt where the board and chip burned out before I could even boot it up. I'm on a budget and would like to keep the whole system under $1000. I've heard good things about OCing the Intel D805 and the price has dropped significantly so I'm pretty sure that I will be using it for my build. I already have a PNY nVidia 8600GT and will eventually buy a second. So what I am looking for is a good OCer that supports SLI. The computer will be used for some gaming, but mostly as a HTPC. Here's what I'm considering:

CPU: Intel D805 over-clocked to 3.5+GHZ
Board: ?
Case: ?
Cooling: Zelman fan (or whatever is suggested for this kind of OC)
Graphics: 2 x PNY 8600GT SLI
HD: 2 x Western Digitals (a 500+GB for media and another for the OS and stuff)
Power: 500W (unless there's any reason for more)
memory: 4GB (2x2) to start but I will want more eventually
...and also a TV tuner and either and iMON or something comparable.

Any suggestions?

eck

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005

First, I'd look at the Pentium e2180 instead of the D805. It's newer, faster, and basically a stripped Core2Duo. It overclocks even better and is pretty damn cheap.

Yikes!!! Good thing you came here and asked.

CPU: E2180 or E6550
Mobo: GA-P35-DS3L
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or Scythe Ninja (the Ninja costs more and is harder to install, but it's better)
Case: Antec Sonata 3 with 550W PSU included
Graphics: one HD 3850 512MB or HD 3870 will kick the behind of 8600GT SLI, with none of the SLI disadvantages
HD: one Western Digital, WD7500AAKS (it's faster than the 500GB version). Add one or two others when needed.
Memory: 2 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800. Add two more GB later if needed.
TV tuner: Hauppauge PVR-150 or ATI Theater 650