Getting my q6600 to 3.2ghz with a 790 ultra

pyroinc

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I've seriously tried just about everything, and I can only get to 3ghz on my q6600 with FSB at 1333 with a 9x multi. When I check my mem speed on Everest it says it's running at 1333 even tho I set it at 2000mhz:eek: wtf. I'm also trying to get to a 1600 FSB with a 8x multi it wont post not matter what I do. I've tried higher voltage on just about everything except the gtlreg what not but I have no idea what those values are so.., anyone have a working OC with a setup close to this...?

My setup

Vista 32bit
2 x 1gb Corsair DHX 2000MHz 9-9-9-24
EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard
Ultra Extreme 120 "True Black"
BFG Tech GTX 280 OCX
Antec 850 power supply

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I dont have that exact set up, but I do know that you shouldn't encounter to many problems with a mild over clock.

Normally the No posts are memory related, or FSB strap related. So that should be the first thing you make sure isn't causing problems.

Then the next step would be checking the amount of vdrop and droop that board has. It's NVidia after all.

To test that, run Core temp, or Real Temp, and look for the VID. Take note of it, and then re start, jump into the Bios, disable speed step, EIST and C1E, and manually enter the VID as the core voltage value in the bios.

Boot into windows, and after a few minutes for boot junk to load, run the program CPUz and look at what it lists your Core Voltage at while idle in windows. That will reflect your Vdrop value. The difference from Bios VCore to idle windows VCore.

Next, after noting that value, run Prime 95 small ffts torture test on all four cores and after about 1 minute, note the now reduced Core Voltage with CPUz, List what you see it flicker the lowest.

One of the best things you could do is post Bios screen shots! That always helps, as some Bios versions have different settings available.

And have you updated your Bios to a newer one?

--Lupi

pyroinc

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
yes I have the P06 version, my current OC is:

Current OC:
Mem speed at 2000mhz in bios(but says 1333 on everest)
FSB 1333mhz x 9 multi
Cpu Core 1.35V
CPU FSB 1.25V
SPP 1.40V
Mem 1.9V