Sign in with
Your question

3850 Unstable in Games, Tried everything, HELP!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2008 3:04:07 PM

Hello to all!

I recently built a new rig based on a Tom's article. I used mostly proven components: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, with Intel E2160 2-core CPU, G-skill 2GB DDR2 800MHZ ram and a ATI Radeon HD3850 256MB. I had to get a new PS, I got a Antec 500w. This setup is suppose to be easily overclockable and it is but I have given up on overclocking it and just want stability! All bios setting are default speeds.

In windows XP everything works just fine, no glitches. However upon starting Crysis or Team Fortress 2 the machine crashes. It will enter the intro screens, but as soon as you load a level, it will hang. Often I will get vertical stripes on the screen and the sound will glitch, repeating the same tone over and over again.

I have done a ram test and it came out fine. I've pulled my cpu and re-applied paste, I've opened my case and put a big window fan to keep things cool and it still is unstable. I've tried the 7.11, 8.1 and Omega drivers for ATI. I was able to get fair Crysis stability but have not ever been able to play online for more than 2 minutes without a crash.

I do not need super hi-rez, nor am I enabling AA, I just want stability. Perhaps my heat spreader on my 3850 is not on right? Bad PS? Bad mobo? Bad luck?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

More about : 3850 unstable games

January 25, 2008 3:48:24 PM

maybe the onboard soundcard? Your mainboards soundcard is a bit tricky(i have one too). You may try to disable it in your controle panel, and then try again.
January 25, 2008 5:06:40 PM

Download Rivatuner and monitor your temperature when you force the card to your highest OC speed.

Check if the GPU temp is climbing expontentially. If it is, then force fan speed to increase.
Related resources
January 25, 2008 6:39:15 PM

Can you run 3dMark? Update DirectX? Is it stable when not in games? External power plugged into the Video Card?
January 27, 2008 8:26:25 PM

Will not run 3d mark or direct 3d in the win xp 3d diag tool.
February 4, 2008 12:20:56 AM

Are you getting an error that points to your 3850? There are a lot of things that could be causing what you describe. Any chance you're using a Creative sound card? I used to have a similar-sounding problem that was caused by my Audigy 2 (was never solved with any driver version I tried; I just swapped it out and started using the audio connections on the mobo). I'm unfamilar with that mobo, but are there any jumpers on it to set the clocking speed? Even if you've set your bios at default settings, if you have accidentally or intentionally set any jumpers to overclock, you might be overclocking and not know it (also happened to me once).
April 3, 2008 9:19:48 AM

Have more or less the same setup with the same problem (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and Gigabyte ATI 3580). While playing MOH Airborne my system will just lock up with a black screen.

Johnnyz, try and select the safe defaults in the MDB Bios. After rebooting, uninstall the 3850 driver and reboot the system. After the reboot try and installing the driver again. Let me know if this helps.
April 4, 2008 1:34:49 AM

I just went through a short period where my PC was acting similar.

I had a few issues I think. I had the Asus software installed in Vista, and it was causing a few problems that would cause strange spikes in CPU usage and CPU clock speed adjustments randomly. I fixed that with a re-install of the Asus software and a Vista related tweak.

I also had "loadline calibration" turned off in my BIOS even though all the settings were back to stock. I'm not sure how that got changed, but turning it on cured my system crashes/hangs during 3d apps. When it was off I could do whatever in the o.s. except for games or 3dmark.
April 9, 2008 9:14:31 PM

OK, like I said I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and Gigabyte ATI 3580. I uninstall the video drivers, reboot and re-install them. I then proceed an play Crysis for hours. No problem.

After a reboot I will go into Crysis and presto....the system crashes 2 min in the game. I thought it might be Spybot so I uninstalled it and re-installed the drivers. Still do does the same. Does anyone know how I could fix this. I am running ATI Catylist 8.3. Have not tried the new ATI patch.
!