Sign in with
Your question

Help need making a decision

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2008 4:39:52 PM

as the title states, i am stuck between 3 graphics card to buy for my new rig.
8800GTS G92
or ati's new 3870 X2
Problem is i have a Asus x38 board, which means no sli, also having mobo thats CF ready, would i get a better boost in performance if i went ati, rather than NV.

see my original plan was to buy the ASUS Striker II 780i, then go the new gts, but i couldn't wait, and there never in stock. Well now i am screwed, in a way,

I have read that it takes 2 3870's to get good performance, and yet 1 gts gets better (oc great, up to GTX in performance) than 3870 in CF
But do i wait for ati's new card, but i am leery because look at the 7950 x2, it was a piece of sh**
though would it be worth my while, there are no benchmarks on it yet, i have also heard it was delayed till 28.

My new system is going to be
Core 2 Duo 2.4 (plan to oc up to 3.2ghz)
Asus P5E x38
gpu?
3gigs corsair 800mhz
750watt power supply
i have all of this already, but just need a gpu. If i had a 780i board i would deff go with gts,so what should i do, (anyone wana buy my board. Looks like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

but if i cant sell it in 2 weeks i have to go with one above. Help plz, thx

More about : making decision

January 25, 2008 4:58:56 PM

Personally I'm extremely excited about the 3870x2, but I want to see some more proof before I'd commit to buying.

The P5E is a great board and the 3870 is also a fantastic card. That being said, I don't think you need to worry about the performance difference between it an the GTS. 5-10 frames won't really be noticeable unless you're only getting 20-30 fps already, and I don't think either of those cards will have that issue with many games. If you worry about 5-10 FPS, then you'll always be upgrading and never be happy w/ what you've got.

Also, what size / resolution is your display? If you're below 1680x1050, I wouldn't really recommend SLI or Crossfire, at that point you're already going to be facing a CPU bottleneck in most situations. That and anything over 60 FPS won't be noticeable since your monitor is likely to be capped at 60Mhz.
January 25, 2008 5:30:35 PM

If you have the money, go for the 8800GTS 512MB. If you can wait a little, perhaps the 3870x2, but I want to see more reviews on it before recommending it.
January 25, 2008 6:51:56 PM

I have a 19in widescreen lcd monitor (samsung)
looks like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

max res 1440x900, which i will probably play my games at till, i see a good 22in one i like

btw it doesn't take long to get replies thats good :wahoo: 
thx for input, but no clear decsion yet... :pfff: 
!