RCA DTC100 & OTA HDTV channels ??

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 14, 2005 6:29:53 PM

Hello all,

Not using DTV anymore (cable) figured this would be the best place to post
this.

IS the DTC100 capable of getting off the air HDTV channels ? I hooked up an
attena that gets about 5-6 channels on another TV but, this DTC100 will not
get anything. Is there a problem with my unit or does this model not get HD
OTA channels ? The software is 40b that is on this unit...

I called up RCA and asked them about the problem, and was told that this
model will not get off the air HD and I needed to subscribe though Directv
to get local HD channels. I picked this unit up a wile ago, understanding
that it would get OTA HD....

Can someone confirm this ? Please ?

thanks
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:39:28 PM

Something (Someone@somewhere.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I called up RCA and asked them about the problem, and was told that this
> model will not get off the air HD and I needed to subscribe though Directv
> to get local HD channels.

RCA is wrong about their own product. The DTC-100 doesn't require a DirecTV
subscription to receive OTA digital broadcasts. It doesn't even require the
satellite dish be connected. Even if it was, you most likely wouldn't get
your local channels in HD via DirecTV (unless you live in NY or LA).

The setup on the DTC-100 is pretty simple for OTA...you should be able to
select "Antenna A", then just punch in the *real* broadcast channel number
(not the virtual channel number) and it will work. If you want to use
virtual channel numbers, you have to choose the "acquire off-air guides"
option from the setup menu, and it will then do a channel scan.

--
Jeff Rife | "Only one human captain has ever survived battle
| with a Minbari fleet...he is behind me...you are
| in front of me. If you value your lives,
| be somewhere else."
| -- Ambassador Delenn, 2260
June 14, 2005 8:51:01 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:39:28 -0400, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

>Something (Someone@somewhere.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> I called up RCA and asked them about the problem, and was told that this
>> model will not get off the air HD and I needed to subscribe though Directv
>> to get local HD channels.
>
>RCA is wrong about their own product. The DTC-100 doesn't require a DirecTV
>subscription to receive OTA digital broadcasts. It doesn't even require the
>satellite dish be connected. Even if it was, you most likely wouldn't get
>your local channels in HD via DirecTV (unless you live in NY or LA).
>
>The setup on the DTC-100 is pretty simple for OTA...you should be able to
>select "Antenna A", then just punch in the *real* broadcast channel number
>(not the virtual channel number) and it will work. If you want to use
>virtual channel numbers, you have to choose the "acquire off-air guides"
>option from the setup menu, and it will then do a channel scan.

The Channel Scan is the key.
Many times in my area the channells keeep moving around. Not sure if
its a glitch in the DTC100 or that the stations keep messing with the
signal, but my ABC station goes from 7 then to 24 then to 36. So
remapping the signals in the setup scan is the only way to find them.
June 15, 2005 2:44:50 AM

I do a search, and it finds no channels (the cable is tested on a HDTV with
a built in tuner that gets about 7 channels, Strait run, same exact cable),
but, nothing at all will tune in and it just says "Weak Signal". The highest
signal I get in on the other TV is 70% on one channel, it does not do
anything on the DTC100...

I have tried all the steps you listed below but, still the same results....

Any idea how to troubleshoot this one ? I am sure the cost to fix would be
more than buying a used one on ebay.....

Thanks if you can help...

> Something (Someone@somewhere.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> I called up RCA and asked them about the problem, and was told that this
>> model will not get off the air HD and I needed to subscribe though
>> Directv
>> to get local HD channels.
>
> RCA is wrong about their own product. The DTC-100 doesn't require a
> DirecTV
> subscription to receive OTA digital broadcasts. It doesn't even require
> the
> satellite dish be connected. Even if it was, you most likely wouldn't get
> your local channels in HD via DirecTV (unless you live in NY or LA).
>
> The setup on the DTC-100 is pretty simple for OTA...you should be able to
> select "Antenna A", then just punch in the *real* broadcast channel number
> (not the virtual channel number) and it will work. If you want to use
> virtual channel numbers, you have to choose the "acquire off-air guides"
> option from the setup menu, and it will then do a channel scan.
>
> --
> Jeff Rife | "Only one human captain has ever survived battle
> | with a Minbari fleet...he is behind me...you are
> | in front of me. If you value your lives,
> | be somewhere else."
> | -- Ambassador Delenn, 2260
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:26:36 AM

Fred (nus@tenretni.moc) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Many times in my area the channells keeep moving around. Not sure if
> its a glitch in the DTC100 or that the stations keep messing with the
> signal, but my ABC station goes from 7 then to 24 then to 36. So
> remapping the signals in the setup scan is the only way to find them.

Only if you want to use virtual channels. If you use the actual broadcast
frequencies (which I do), nothing moves around, since the FCC would be
quite upset if that happened.

Your ABC station (KGO) always broadcasts digitally on channel 24. Now,
what the virtual channel info in the PSIP stream says is a different story.

--
Jeff Rife | "...who paved the way for The Alan Parsons'
| Project...which I believe was some sort
| of a hovercraft."
| -- Homer Simpson
June 15, 2005 12:22:08 PM

Something wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Not using DTV anymore (cable) figured this would be the best place to post
> this.
>
> IS the DTC100 capable of getting off the air HDTV channels ? I hooked up an
> attena that gets about 5-6 channels on another TV but, this DTC100 will not
> get anything. Is there a problem with my unit or does this model not get HD
> OTA channels ? The software is 40b that is on this unit...
>
> I called up RCA and asked them about the problem, and was told that this
> model will not get off the air HD and I needed to subscribe though Directv
> to get local HD channels. I picked this unit up a wile ago, understanding
> that it would get OTA HD....
>
> Can someone confirm this ? Please ?
>
> thanks

Unless my mind has gone, the DTC100 was one of the first OTA digital
receivers. Back in the late 90's, early 2000's it was the only box out
there.
That said, what analog signals your antenna receives, and what digital
ones it gets are two very different things. For example, you might have
a vhf antenna that works great on channels 2-13...but it ain't worth a
damn if your digital stations are on UHF,
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:39:15 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:29:53 -0400, Something wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Not using DTV anymore (cable) figured this would be the best place to post
> this.
>
> IS the DTC100 capable of getting off the air HDTV channels ?

Yes.

> I hooked up an
> attena that gets about 5-6 channels on another TV but, this DTC100 will not
> get anything. Is there a problem with my unit or does this model not get HD
> OTA channels ? The software is 40b that is on this unit...
>
> I called up RCA and asked them about the problem, and was told that this
> model will not get off the air HD and I needed to subscribe though Directv
> to get local HD channels.

Maybe you should tell them to look at their own web site:
http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,,PI640,00.html

Brad Hou
!