Your question

remotely reboot non-responsive 2003 server over Internet

Tags:
  • Servers
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 13, 2008 10:48:19 PM

remotely reboot non-responsive 2003 server over Internet.

Hi,

This is the first time, so i hope i have posted the right place..

Got an issue with a 2003 server that is non-responsive and does'nt accept login throught ts. When you try you get only the gray login screen/window but the login prompt is not presented.

I know what the reason is that triggered this situation - so this is not virus/security related issue.

Everything is "down" - web, ftp, email is not responding anymore except for pop3.

I desperately need to reboot this machine which is inlocated in Denmark, my location is Sweden. So it is not on intranet/LAN or something like that = no net bios.

I have tried to connect through:
TS - fails - TS responds on the initial start - the ts windows pops up - but it hang s with the gray screen and no credential prompt is presented

vpn ( to execute shutdown.exe throught the network) - failed: it the vpn trying to connect just hangs

tsshutdn ( tsshutdn.exe 60 /reboot /server:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX /delay:90 /v - fails - error specific: "Error when opening connection to the terminal server, error 1744:RPC-server not available" ( xxx.xxx.=ip adress, removed for security reasons)

So what options do i have?

Is the any tool that i can use to force the reboot - dirty/hard reboot is not really an option as i have the option to just "walk over to the server" physically and turn it off by the power button.

Thanks a lot in advance for your responses!

More about : remotely reboot responsive 2003 server internet

September 16, 2008 12:25:55 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Mobile-Computing to section General Networking by TheGreatGrapeApe
September 16, 2008 9:30:27 PM

sounds like your connectivity to it is hosed...

can you call somebody that is where the server is and have them power it off?
September 17, 2008 7:16:32 PM

Hi thanks for the reply.
No - because the responsible person is in egypt for the moment. :-(

So I'm looking far an alternative way - even if the option is to "hack" my own server. But i hope i don't have to. Since i have credentials there is no real "hack" in it.

Anyway i'm running out of options here. Is there some other tool i could use than the mentioned above that i have already tried?

Thanks in advance.

!