Change in Startup

Tags:
  • Windows XP
July 26, 2005 7:17:43 AM

When I used to boot up my Windows XP home edition, it would go directly to
the Desk Top. After installing some Digital Camera software allowing me to
modify and upload the digital picture data to a remote site for printing,
the first screen to come up has changed. Now it first brings up a Windows XP
screen asking for me to "Click on your user name". I just click on my name
and all is well (I think). What security might have changed that caused this
interim screen to appear requesting me to select my user name (which is the
only one there)? During the installation of one of the programs, it said I
needed to load some active X control, which I elected to do, in order to
complete setting up to upload this digital data. I wish I paid more
attention and documented each step in case something went wrong, but I
didn't do this. Perhaps this has something to do with what changed on
bootup. Everything else seems to work as before. Charles Ranheim

More about : change startup

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:21:27 PM

cranheim wrote:
> When I used to boot up my Windows XP home edition, it would
> go directly to the Desk Top. After installing some Digital
> Camera software allowing me to modify and upload the digital
> picture data to a remote site for printing, the first screen
> to come up has changed. Now it first brings up a Windows XP
> screen asking for me to "Click on your user name". I just
> click on my name and all is well (I think). What security
> might have changed that caused this interim screen to appear
> requesting me to select my user name (which is the only one
> there)? During the installation of one of the programs, it
> said I needed to load some active X control, which I
> elected to do, in order to complete setting up to upload
> this digital data. I wish I paid more attention and
> documented each step in case something went wrong, but I
> didn't do this. Perhaps this has something to do with what
> changed on bootup. Everything else seems to work as before.
> Charles Ranheim

Installing the .NET framework causes this type of behavior. One
way to tell if this is the cause would be the presence of a new
user named ASPNET and a new folder,
C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework. It's possible that the
camera software needs .NET framework to operate properly.

To correct the logon issue, do the following:

Go to Start -> Run.
Copy and paste the following into the Open box:

control userpasswords2

Click OK.
Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer".
In the box that pops up, replace Administrator in the "User
Name" box with your user account. Enter your password twice.
Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account does
not have a password.
Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired
results.

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:39:42 AM

Nepatsfan,
Thank you for your reply. While I know very little about this part of
Windows, I looked at the User Accounts, and found one called ASP.Net Machine
A... I have no idea how that got there. I was afraid to try to change it
because I have been able to upload digital photo data OK. Having to click on
my name to during boot-up is not a big deal, as long as nothing else is
going wrong that I don't know about. I printed out your suggestion to have
for future reference if I find it necessary to make the change back to where
it was. Charles Ranheim

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> cranheim wrote:
>> When I used to boot up my Windows XP home edition, it would
>> go directly to the Desk Top. After installing some Digital
>> Camera software allowing me to modify and upload the digital
>> picture data to a remote site for printing, the first screen
>> to come up has changed. Now it first brings up a Windows XP
>> screen asking for me to "Click on your user name". I just
>> click on my name and all is well (I think). What security
>> might have changed that caused this interim screen to appear
>> requesting me to select my user name (which is the only one
>> there)? During the installation of one of the programs, it
>> said I needed to load some active X control, which I
>> elected to do, in order to complete setting up to upload
>> this digital data. I wish I paid more attention and
>> documented each step in case something went wrong, but I
>> didn't do this. Perhaps this has something to do with what
>> changed on bootup. Everything else seems to work as before.
>> Charles Ranheim
>
> Installing the .NET framework causes this type of behavior. One way to
> tell if this is the cause would be the presence of a new user named ASPNET
> and a new folder, C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework. It's possible that
> the camera software needs .NET framework to operate properly.
>
> To correct the logon issue, do the following:
>
> Go to Start -> Run.
> Copy and paste the following into the Open box:
>
> control userpasswords2
>
> Click OK.
> Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
> computer".
> In the box that pops up, replace Administrator in the "User Name" box with
> your user account. Enter your password twice.
> Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account does not have a
> password.
> Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired results.
>
> Nepatsfan

July 27, 2005 2:39:43 AM

Answered inline

cranheim wrote:
> Nepatsfan,
> Thank you for your reply. While I know very little about
> this part of Windows, I looked at the User Accounts, and
> found one called ASP.Net Machine A... I have no idea how
> that got there. I was afraid to try to change it because I
> have been able to upload digital photo data OK. Having to
> click on my name to during boot-up is not a big deal, as
> long as nothing else is going wrong that I don't know about.
> I printed out your suggestion to have for future reference
> if I find it necessary to make the change back to where it
> was. Charles Ranheim

You might want to take a look at this article:

What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

That account is created when the .NET framework is installed.
The framework is available from the Windows update site as an
optional update. You may have installed it from there. As I
mentioned in my earlier response, it's possible that a program
you installed on your PC needed the framework installed to run
properly.

If you're curious, find this folder
C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework
Right click on it and select Properties.
The Created date will show when the framework was installed.
You may find that it's the same date as when you installed your
camera software.

Bottom line is that as long as your system is running fine,
leave it be.

Nepatsfan

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> cranheim wrote:
>>> When I used to boot up my Windows XP home edition, it would
>>> go directly to the Desk Top. After installing some Digital
>>> Camera software allowing me to modify and upload the
>>> digital picture data to a remote site for printing, the
>>> first screen to come up has changed. Now it first brings
>>> up a Windows XP screen asking for me to "Click on your
>>> user name". I just click on my name and all is well (I
>>> think). What security might have changed that caused this
>>> interim screen to appear requesting me to select my user
>>> name (which is the only one there)? During the
>>> installation of one of the programs, it said I needed to
>>> load some active X control, which I elected to do, in
>>> order to complete setting up to upload this digital data.
>>> I wish I paid more attention and documented each step in
>>> case something went wrong, but I didn't do this. Perhaps
>>> this has something to do with what changed on bootup.
>>> Everything else seems to work as before. Charles Ranheim
>>
>> Installing the .NET framework causes this type of behavior.
>> One way to tell if this is the cause would be the presence
>> of a new user named ASPNET and a new folder,
>> C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework. It's possible that the
>> camera software needs .NET framework to operate properly. To
>> correct the logon issue, do the following:
>>
>> Go to Start -> Run.
>> Copy and paste the following into the Open box:
>>
>> control userpasswords2
>>
>> Click OK.
>> Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use
>> this computer".
>> In the box that pops up, replace Administrator in the "User
>> Name" box with your user account. Enter your password twice.
>> Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account
>> does not have a password.
>> Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired
>> results. Nepatsfan
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:39:44 AM

An application installer with a .net dependency for the app being installed
could also have installed the framework. The user might have clicked
through the dialog during the installation setup. Silent installation of
dependencies is also possible.

> Answered inline
>
> cranheim wrote:
>> Nepatsfan,
>> Thank you for your reply. While I know very little about
>> this part of Windows, I looked at the User Accounts, and
>> found one called ASP.Net Machine A... I have no idea how
>> that got there. I was afraid to try to change it because I
>> have been able to upload digital photo data OK. Having to
>> click on my name to during boot-up is not a big deal, as
>> long as nothing else is going wrong that I don't know about.
>> I printed out your suggestion to have for future reference
>> if I find it necessary to make the change back to where it
>> was. Charles Ranheim
>
> You might want to take a look at this article:
>
> What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
>
> That account is created when the .NET framework is installed.
> The framework is available from the Windows update site as an
> optional update. You may have installed it from there. As I
> mentioned in my earlier response, it's possible that a program
> you installed on your PC needed the framework installed to run
> properly.
>
> If you're curious, find this folder
> C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework
> Right click on it and select Properties.
> The Created date will show when the framework was installed.
> You may find that it's the same date as when you installed your
> camera software.
>
> Bottom line is that as long as your system is running fine,
> leave it be.
>
> Nepatsfan
>

>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Installing the .NET framework causes this type of behavior.
>>> One way to tell if this is the cause would be the presence
>>> of a new user named ASPNET and a new folder,
>>> C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework. It's possible that the
>>> camera software needs .NET framework to operate properly. To
>>> correct the logon issue, do the following:
>>>
>>> Go to Start -> Run.
>>> Copy and paste the following into the Open box:
>>>
>>> control userpasswords2
>>>
>>> Click OK.
>>> Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use
>>> this computer".
>>> In the box that pops up, replace Administrator in the "User
>>> Name" box with your user account. Enter your password twice.
>>> Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account
>>> does not have a password.
>>> Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired
>>> results. Nepatsfan

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 6:22:19 AM

I did a search to see if I had any critical updates pending. I had one:
MS.NET Framework 1.1 SP1. I downloaded and installed it and everything is
back to normal. It goes directly to my desktop now after booting as it did
before. Thanks for your input. Charles Ranheim

news:o 5orX4kkFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!