What is the difference between an OEM processor and a Retail processor

I'm just trying to figure out whether I should get an OEM e2180 or a retail. There is a small price difference. Does the oem leave out important things I might need?
14 answers Last reply
More about what difference processor retail processor
  1. The retail will give you the fan and heatsink, the OEM just the CPU
  2. The OEM has a shorter warranty, I believe. Retail version is generally 3 yrs - OEM is much less.
  3. Yeah, that too.
    I usually don't care about warranty that much.
    With electronics if it's going to break it will break almost immediatly
  4. ok cool, thanks. I think i'll get the retail version then, as I don't have my own heatsink
  5. Here are some top 5 heatsinks if you are interested:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
  6. The aftermarket heatsinks will perform better but you have to do a little research to see if it fits your CPU and if it won't interfere with something else in your motherboard or your case
  7. Retail comes in a box. It sometimes has a warranty.
    OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer. You, if building your own.
  8. OK thanks alot. That Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is surprisingly cheap. Do you think that would fit on a ds3l board with an antec 900 case, and a dual-slot graphics card?
  9. Difference between OEM and Retail is as follows.

OEM - 1 year
    Retail box - 3 years

OEM - no sticker , no box or booklet - comes in a tray - known also as tray product
    Retail- Nice box, nice sticker, manual with simple installation instructions and well packaged.

Retail are a few dollers / pounds dearer and not worth going for oem....

For the extra few quid a retail chip is better value just for the warranty alone...

I always put in retail processors for this factor..
  10. OK, it's settled then, I'm going retail. Thanks for clearing this up guys
  11. I saved a few bucks and ordered my Q6600 OEM because I was getting the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fan (two of the best cooling products I found). I also located this article on Intel stock coolers which you might want to read.
  12. OEM is normally about 30 to 50 dollars cheaper.
  13. dcinmich said:
    I saved a few bucks and ordered my Q6600 OEM because I was getting the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fan (two of the best cooling products I found). I also located this article on Intel stock coolers which you might want to read.
    There is a reason why reputable articles always have dates on them.
    That article was written by a frequenter here. He wrote it before the core2s were released. It does not apply to the hsf for core2 chips.
  14. endyen said:
    There is a reason why reputable articles always have dates on them.
    That article was written by a frequenter here. He wrote it before the core2s were released. It does not apply to the hsf for core2 chips.

Sorry (hangs head in shame)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors OEM