Sign in with
Your question

What is the difference between an OEM processor and a Retail processor

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2008 4:13:03 PM

I'm just trying to figure out whether I should get an OEM e2180 or a retail. There is a small price difference. Does the oem leave out important things I might need?
February 1, 2008 4:17:20 PM

The retail will give you the fan and heatsink, the OEM just the CPU
February 1, 2008 4:19:49 PM

The OEM has a shorter warranty, I believe. Retail version is generally 3 yrs - OEM is much less.
Related resources
February 1, 2008 4:30:55 PM

Yeah, that too.
I usually don't care about warranty that much.
With electronics if it's going to break it will break almost immediatly
February 1, 2008 4:35:53 PM

ok cool, thanks. I think i'll get the retail version then, as I don't have my own heatsink
February 1, 2008 4:42:16 PM

The aftermarket heatsinks will perform better but you have to do a little research to see if it fits your CPU and if it won't interfere with something else in your motherboard or your case
February 1, 2008 5:10:15 PM

Retail comes in a box. It sometimes has a warranty.
OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer. You, if building your own.
February 1, 2008 8:23:12 PM

OK thanks alot. That Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is surprisingly cheap. Do you think that would fit on a ds3l board with an antec 900 case, and a dual-slot graphics card?
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2008 4:55:40 PM

Difference between OEM and Retail is as follows.

OEM - 1 year
Retail box - 3 years

OEM - no sticker , no box or booklet - comes in a tray - known also as tray product
Retail- Nice box, nice sticker, manual with simple installation instructions and well packaged.

Retail are a few dollers / pounds dearer and not worth going for oem....

For the extra few quid a retail chip is better value just for the warranty alone...

I always put in retail processors for this factor..
February 2, 2008 8:08:04 PM

OK, it's settled then, I'm going retail. Thanks for clearing this up guys
February 2, 2008 9:21:22 PM

I saved a few bucks and ordered my Q6600 OEM because I was getting the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fan (two of the best cooling products I found). I also located this article on Intel stock coolers which you might want to read.
February 2, 2008 11:31:08 PM

OEM is normally about 30 to 50 dollars cheaper.
February 2, 2008 11:37:00 PM

dcinmich said:
I saved a few bucks and ordered my Q6600 OEM because I was getting the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fan (two of the best cooling products I found). I also located this article on Intel stock coolers which you might want to read.
There is a reason why reputable articles always have dates on them.
That article was written by a frequenter here. He wrote it before the core2s were released. It does not apply to the hsf for core2 chips.
February 2, 2008 11:39:33 PM

endyen said:
There is a reason why reputable articles always have dates on them.
That article was written by a frequenter here. He wrote it before the core2s were released. It does not apply to the hsf for core2 chips.

Sorry (hangs head in shame)
!