New Gaming Build + a budget build

AvD

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
well i'm currently on a dell 4550, geforce 4 ti 4800 1gb ram.

what i want is a system that OC capable, water cooled,1 -2 tb storage, 2 ultra fast hd's for windows apps games, i want dual cards with physx sound.

well i want a system that is basically able to handle next gen games, there is no price limit, and i don't want a pre built system.
this system will be for games, storage, downloads. and work tasks.

so needs fast transfer rates, excellent sound, great graphics.

o and i need a monitor too.

please help me, i am lost with so many different cards etc. i'd just go for the most expensive assuming its the best.

o i want intel/nvidia.

also the budget build is a system that will be for networking, basically to cover A+ Network+ linux+ and Security+ and hopefully others.

thanks for any help

AvD

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
the first pc isn't on a budget its unlimited, i want to make the best pc i can in terms of power etc. so i can play next gen games. that system i want water cooled no budget.

the second system, which will be used to cover certification requirements is a budget built, it needs to be usable able to handle, server 2003, xp, linux. etc etc. as it'll be a test bed in alot of cases. taken apart and put back together as and when the need occurs during my studies. this one isn't so important but the one above is, and i need serious help. i haven't a clue what to put in it. : o(

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
For the gaming build you can go tri SLI (which is crazy ridiculous and pretty useless). It would help if we knew:

1) Size of monitor
2) If you want SLI or Crossfire (depends on monitor size)

Only go water cooling if you are going to do high overclocks. Usually air cooling can do just as well. (Thermalright 120 extreme)

mrharris

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Just get the new QX9750 when it comes out in a couple months, and then SLI the new 9800gx2 which is really like 4 8800's combined. Get 8GB of the highest speed of DDR3 ram, and get a 15,000rpm hard drive.

AvD

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Ah sorry,

well because i want nvidia, it would be Sli, thats if its of any use, i have been reading its best just to get 1 decent card.

monitor size between 22-30", with a fast refresh rate etc. this lcd i have now is 17" too small, and the refresh rate is ****, and it doesn't do shades of black well at all and the image isn't very crisp/sharp.

My main issues have been:

What Mobo,
What graphics card,
What cpu
What ram type (i.e. brand and speed etc. obviously that also depends on mobo).
what sound card.

and i do intend to over clock. hence the water cooling, but i've never done it before, so i'm throwing myself into the deep end.

i'd want to water cool, PCIE, CPU, NorthBridge (or put some cooling on it) and i'll want to if possible heatsink the ram (room being a factor)

i'd also want fans or somthing keeping the hd's cool.

i'm looking for good storage around 2 1tb drives and a couple of ultra fast hd's for os/apps. so the issue then comes which make? i've used WD and had no issues the hd's in this pc are like 4 years old and working perfectly still and 1 partition is written to constantly.

i have had this suggested:

LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $399.99

ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - $229.99

(2 of these in SLI):
EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 - $339.99 each. ($680)

SILVERSTONE OP850 ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V 850W Power Supply - $220.99

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor M - OEM - $1,075.00

(two sets of these)
mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) - $125 each - $250 total

(two of these in RAID 0)
SUPER TALENT SSD32GB25 2.5" 32GB SATA Internal Solid state disk - $770.00 each - $1,540.00 total

(two of these in RAID 1)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $275 each - $550.00 total

SAMSUNG SyncMaster 305T Black 30" 6ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - $1269.99

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model - $36

Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - $136

but the only place i can find those specific parts are american sites.

i don't mind waiting a few months if a new set of hardware is going to be comming out, it allows me to acquire more £££, so i can buy more likely all in one.

inspecter71

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Avd why dont you go with the 8800 gtx oc 768mb if you just want to use one video card.The 8800 gtx oc768mb is all you will need but it cost quite a bit if you dont mind spending.

Roachius

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I didn't NVIDIA were letting you go SLI on intel motherboards right now ? hence why I am having to choose an nForce 680i

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
i am just curious why you chose the 65 nm Q6600? the 45 nm quad cores should be released soon. (the dual core 45 nm E8400 is already for sale at places like zipzoomfly, how far behind can the quad cores be?)

AvD

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
i didn't choose any of it, i'm not up on hardware, so i've posted on a few sites, one left that build, others left nothing.

the issue with the one above is, well i can't find that hardware over several different sites i use.

so i was looking more for a uk build.

Quadcore

sli mobo - fast

top end gfx card - nvidia
if i want or need the ability to go sli

fast stable ram

2x fast hd's for aps
1-2 storage hd's 1tb+ e/a

if space allows some sort of cooling for the ram.

cooling for the northbridge is it?

i want to run a water cooling system 1, because i always thought they where cool, 2, i've wanted one for many many years, 3, i intend to over clock.

so i need the parts also for a water cooling system, no mater where i look i can't seem to find specific details on any of it.
and with me not being up on the hardware front currently i haven't a clue as to what hardware to put in my system..

like i've stated i'm looking to build a pc capable to handle next gen games.
Handle general office work.
have fast transfer rates over network.
and i haven't a clue where to really start. hence i asked here for help.

AvD

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

i didn't but i assume that was suggested due to the fact it runs cool, and is great for ocin, or so i'm informed

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
are you sure you want to water cool your first build?

most folks find building their first system, and then overclocking it on air cooling to be a enough of a learning experience. you might want to get the hang of the basics before adding the fancy stuff.

and you could always get a case with holes and grommets for liquid cooling tubing and add it later.

there is nothing wrong with building it all at once if you are good at building these things and/or have a friend with some experience.

there are also some liquid cooling 'kits' that contain everything you need. there are even cases you can buy with liquid cooling kits. but i've not heard anything good about them. and they are expensive.

AvD

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
This isn't my first build, i've built several different computers whilst at college.
this is my first personal build.

but i will look into a case with all the holes already prepared that will save alot of time and reduce the risk of me cocking it up.