So I just brought a new 8800GT

s1mmo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Hi all

Just a bit of background for starters. I've just brought a new Antec p182, a 550W PSU and a shiny new XFX 8800GT Alpha dog edition.

I transfered all my components over to the new case...went to power up my machine only for thier to be NO display and the HDD+POWER light constantly on. Oh...and the graphics card is also running at full fan speed (this is a soon as I press the power button)

Core 2 Duo E6400
Asus P5VD2-MX

Something is not right, I've just put in my old ATI X1900 and it works fine. Please dont say the card is faulty -_-

Thanks in advance for the help guys :(

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Do you have the 6 pin extra power connector in? If so, have you uninstalled the x1900 drivers before putting in the 8800GT?

The way you describe the HDD and Power light constantly being on makes me believe its: a faulty card, the card isn't getting enough power and the PC can't POST properly, or something isn't seated / connected right.

Does your HDD and Power light stay lit when you use the x1900?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
That sucks, maybe a BIOS update would help?

If not, this would be the reason why I only purchase mainstream boards. (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Abit, etc) VIA chipsets and those ECS / Elitegroup boards are terrible.

s1mmo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Yeah, tried the bios upgrade.

I'll be honest with you...i'm stuck now. I dont know what to do. I'll just go and buy a mobo and it wont be compatible. I dont know what to look for :(

£30 is my budget ;)

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Looks like PSU or video card! What 550W PSU? Make/model. Was it a $50 PSU? X1900 uses similar power to 8800GT, so looks like RMA time for video card. Just to see, try ols PSU with 8800.

Mike.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Yeah, tried the bios upgrade.

I'll be honest with you...i'm stuck now. I dont know what to do. I'll just go and buy a mobo and it wont be compatible. I dont know what to look for :(

£30 is my budget ;)
Save the money for a bit and then get a respectable motherboard.

One of the best affordable boards I can think of is the GA-P35-DS3L. I know for a fact that works with the 8800GT, it even has support for 45nm Intel chips. :)

SpudTECH

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
why I only purchase mainstream boards. (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Abit, etc) VIA chipsets and those ECS / Elitegroup boards are terrible.

Sorry to spoil your fun but even mainstream boards like asus have used and continue to use via chipsets. I have a special xp install disk from a former employer to deal with the activation Nightmare that happens when you have to do a repair install on them. (yes, ASUS :pfff: )

Sorry to hear about the tight budget- only about $59-us. I wouldn't try any mobo's that are in that price range. they arn't worth spit. You need to be looking in the $150 range for anything that won't give you problems out of the box.

:bounce: Here is a great one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131142

Although it's 2x you budget, it a great board. Just make sure you have a case with proper airflow as the northbridge on there runs very warm. I use to work with it's older brother and I doubt they have resolved that yet, but it's no biggie... And the fact that the chipset is NVIDIA meens that your card will feel right at home where it belongs. :sol:

Thats the key-Match the chipset to the card. ;)

AS for that board you found- please follow my motto: El'cheapo parts and/or unknown retailer = crappy Computer and wasted money.

Dudeson

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
VIA chipsets and those ECS / Elitegroup boards are terrible.

I disagree. I built my gaming rig last week with an Elite group ECS P35T-A (p35 chipset) mobo. I have had no problems with it, in fact almost all the mobo's i've had have been ECS and not a thing has gone wrong with them! This one even supports the new 45nm Wolfdales. I've read that it doesn't overclock well but for a VERY cheap (in price) board its performance & features are outstanding.

jackieboy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

You just answered your own question.......get another mobo......use nvidia and forget the via......the mobo replacement will be cheape to replace....sell your current mobo and ati card.......it will pay for itself

altflood3r

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I had the Exact same problem .. with mine the card wasent in properly , just give it a good push and the at the end into the mobo and it Shuld workd

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
@OP: I don't see why a particular chipset wouldn't support a given graphics card but I guess its possible. A good cheap motherboard is the Gigabyte P35-DS3L... at least that's the cheapest I'd recommend to anyone.

That's really unnecessary and if interpreted incorrectly is misleading.

-mcg

s1mmo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I disagree. I built my gaming rig last week with an Elite group ECS P35T-A (p35 chipset) mobo. I have had no problems with it, in fact almost all the mobo's i've had have been ECS and not a thing has gone wrong with them! This one even supports the new 45nm Wolfdales. I've read that it doesn't overclock well but for a VERY cheap (in price) board its performance & features are outstanding.
I said VIA and ECS suck. Mainly because of the VIA chipset. I guess it I could have narrowed it down to just the chipset, but my experience w/ ECS has been terrible. You've at least got a P35 chipset which is probably why you haven't had any problems.

Sorry to spoil your fun but even mainstream boards like asus have used and continue to use via chipsets. I have a special xp install disk from a former employer to deal with the activation Nightmare that happens when you have to do a repair install on them. (yes, ASUS :pfff: )
You're right. I should have said the enthusiasts boards from ASUS. (X38 and 780 / 790i chipsets) Those are the decent ones.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
It's Micro ATX first of all. So it's going to be very small, and you need to make sure your case has the required stand-off locations for a mATX board.

Secondly, it's got an IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) this will leach your RAM if not disabled, plus it sucks. You'll also have to remove the drivers for it and disable in the BIOS when you get your 8800 in and set as the default.

I would try to get a GA-P35-DS3L if you can. It's one of the best, affordable boards out there w/ a ton of support.

s1mmo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Trouble is, i've just brought it, have it in my hands :p

Well, as long as theres no issues with it and 8800GT's :)

Thanks, rgeist, you've been a massive help <3

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I've owned 2 ECS mobos and the one that was crap was a via chipset. You mix anything with Via and nothing but troubles. The only reason I used it was that I got it in a bundle, but it didn't last but maybe a few months at most til I tossed it.

The ECS that I had that was good, was also in the cheap under $100 USD pile. [It was a socket A board and not via, eons ago]

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
The only reason I used it was that I got it in a bundle, but it didn't last but maybe a few months at most til I tossed it.
That's how I got mine as well. One of those Fry's CPU / Mobo bundles. That's also how I got my Pentium D 8xx series. From that day forward I put a lot more research into the parts I purchased and tried to get a much better understanding of CPU components in general. >_>

SpudTECH

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
That's really unnecessary and if interpreted incorrectly is misleading.

-mcg

There is nothing misleading about the truth.... and insinuating that I am misleading people is rather rude! :non:

as anyone with some realworld tech experience knows..... :sarcastic: you have a very hard time running sli on a crossfire board and the same for crossfire on an nvidia chipset. What I said runs true and will save new builders (and others) tons of problems. The best advice is to stay away from via boards and place ATI/AMD with ATI/AMD, and Nvidia with Nvidia.

By the way... I am glad that you offered your opinion.... It helps the entire forum to recognize your shear brilliance laddie! :sarcastic: ;) .

s1mmo- Cheer up laddie! you'll be gamming soon !!!
rgiest554 is correct...
the GA-P35-DS3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059&Tpk=GA-P35-DS3L is the best board out there for your price and performance needs. I wish you the best of luck with the replacment videocard.... May you have many happy hours fraggin aliens-(click on my sig below for what I do when I'm just having a good time with my computer.-lol!)

:sol: :sol:

cardio

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004
Evga has a bios update for their 8800GTs to will solve the compatibility problem with some MBs. XFX may have one also. Have you checked their website. The fan always runs at 100% during computer boot, that is normal on 8800gt & gts.