Sign in with
Your question

New build not powering up

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2008 11:32:57 PM

OK so I've put together my desktop computer, Q6600 processor, 8800GTX vid card, 520HX power supply, 4GB RAM, Abit IP35V Motherboard, Thermaltake heat sink w/fan and hard drives and optical drive. I connected all power supplies and when I plug in and turn on the power supply the two red lights on the MOBO light up(showing its getting power and on) but when I turn the power button nothing happens, any ideas? The power supply fan doesnt turn on when I turn on the power supply, should the fan on the PS start right up? Also, on the power connector to the MOBO it has a blue and white wire and a positive post on the mother board, I assumed the white was the positive so I plugged the white side of the power switch into the positive post and the blue on the negative side. Any suggestions on what I can do to troubleshoot this?

More about : build powering

January 20, 2008 1:07:13 AM

Did you check to see if you wired the power button/LED restart button/LED to the mobo?
January 20, 2008 5:09:39 AM

I think you did not put Case Standoffs, and motherboard is touching case metal. When standoffs are not use, motherboard touches metal and this causes system to not turn on at all. Remove your motherboard, and check u added standoffs.
Related resources
January 20, 2008 5:28:31 AM

what rickpcnerd said, and check your case/mobo wiring again
January 20, 2008 9:21:03 AM

I have a couple wires that are not plugged into the MOBO because I couldnt find their connection on it. One is AC '97 and the other is 1394. Would those make a difference? I installed Brass standoffs (6) so that isnt the problem. I'm checking the power connections now, and to make things worse my original desktop just went down, so now I really have to ge this thing up and running!
January 20, 2008 9:28:42 AM

Oh, and in the Antec Nine Hundred manual it refers to th Reset SW, Power LED, Power SW and HDD Led, all are installed OK except the Power SW, I cannot find this connector in the case. Maybe I am overlooking it, but its not with the other three which are on the same main cable.
January 20, 2008 10:02:04 AM

Dont worry about the 1394 wire because mine is not connected to my motherboard either,Try switiching around your front panel led wire's.Your orange may go where your red go's and your red power wire may go where your orange one go's.I switched mine around and then mine powered up fine.Give it a shot!
a c 139 ) Power supply
January 20, 2008 10:05:32 AM

Forester30 said:
the Antec Nine Hundred manual it refers ....... Power LED
What does the manual actually say about the Power Led?
Something like "There is no Power LED in this case" ?

January 20, 2008 10:13:30 AM

No it says connect the power LED to the PWR LED on the motherboard. So of course I have not done that since I cant find Power LED cable.
January 20, 2008 10:15:54 AM

I'm a little cautious about switching the power connections backwards, because in the Motherboard manual it states to be careful of which one you connect to the positive side, any idea if this could cause damage to the motherboard if switched or should I give it a try? Currently the white is on positive and dark blue on negative side.
January 20, 2008 10:25:59 AM

Ok read the led wire's carefully and also the motherboard pins carefully and double check that again,it's really the only thing i can think of. I only said switch the colors before because my motherboard and led power wires match up differently but then again not everyone has the same motherboard and case.
a c 139 ) Power supply
January 20, 2008 10:30:04 AM

Forester30 said:
No it says connect the power LED to the PWR LED on the motherboard. So of course I have not done that since I cant find Power LED cable.

From the online manual for the 900 case. #3 - there is no Power LED in this case.

You had said you had the PWR LED installed:

Oh,
and in the Antec Nine Hundred manual it refers to th Reset SW, Power
LED, Power SW and HDD Led, all are installed OK except the Power SW,

said:

Oh,
and in the Antec Nine Hundred manual it refers to th Reset SW, Power
LED, Power SW and HDD Led, all are installed OK except the Power SW,

January 20, 2008 10:31:59 AM

Is it possible the red LED on the motherboard is indicating that it is NOT getting sufficient power? Guess you'd have to check the manual on that one.

If thats the case, how many amps does your PSU supply to your 12V rail?

About having wires backward, I've done it before with no Ill effects. Just switched it to the proper orientation and everything was fine.
January 20, 2008 11:25:30 AM

the led on the motherboard is suppose to be green by the way and NOT red...when its red its like telling you something is wrong.
January 20, 2008 11:55:34 AM

Could I unplug everything but the power to the MOBO and CPU fan to test it and see if it powers up?
January 20, 2008 12:19:36 PM

Well I plugged in the main power to the motherboard, and only the CPU fan and switched the power cables around (so the blue is on the positive this time) and still get 2 red lights.

To answer about the power supply voltage on the rails, the manual says "Triple 12V rails provide independent reliable power to the CPU, video card and other components with a combined rating of 50A (40A on 520W) maximum. Advanced circuitry design that automatically enables power sharing between the triple 12V rails in an event of overload on any single 12V rail. Powerful +5V rail with 3A rating."
January 20, 2008 12:34:48 PM

Errr....Sorry if I missed something.

"Oh, and in the Antec Nine Hundred manual it refers to th Reset SW, Power LED, Power SW and HDD Led, all are installed OK except the Power SW, I cannot find this connector in the case. "

The Power SW connects the power button on your case to the mother board, if you don't do that, how is the power button supposed to work???

BTW, whether the red LED light up means something is wrong you should really read the manual of you motherboard, AFAIK there's no LED that can change it's color.
January 20, 2008 12:46:46 PM

My appologies if I misspoke earlier, I have a power sw and I connected it to the PWR on the motherboard, I dont have a power LED.
January 20, 2008 12:58:15 PM

OK, no problem, I was confused. :pt1cable: 

So what does the motherboard manual say about the 2 red LEDS? Is that normal or not?
January 20, 2008 1:10:16 PM

Funny thing about that, the manual really isnt much of a help with the LEDs.

The Abit IP35v manual I have only refers to two LED lights, one by the 12 pin plug in, (the VCC light) and states "this LED lights up when the power supply is connected with the power source". I do NOT have a light there at all when I turn on the power to the unit.

There is one other LED referred to (5VSB) states "This LED lights up when the power supply is connected to the power source" and mine is lighting up. There is another light on my MOBO, not depicted on the manual in the far right hand corner (nearest the processor) and it lights red, no reference to that LED in the manual though.

I tried to find an online manual for this MOBO, since the Antec 900 had more recent info on their online manual for the case, but cannot find one. Anyone know what this LED might mean that has an Abit motherboard?
January 20, 2008 1:34:21 PM

You mean you have 3 LED?

The way I understand is that, the 5VSB lights up when you the power supply unit is connected and switched on, (red or green it depends on the type of the LED installed) the VCC should light up when the power button is turn on, if yours doesn't, that's not right. Don't know about the LED near the CPU, maybe your CPU fan isn't properly connected???

Looks like Abit sucks.
January 20, 2008 1:47:09 PM

The non-lighting LEDs are difficult for me to see, they are very tiny, so all I can tell you is I've got 2 lighting up in the locations I mentioned. Is it possible it is a power supply issue, could the board still light up but no power getting to it somehow, I saw a post on Abit's forums where Corsairs have been having trouble posting. (link below)

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=129727

Reason I ask is that the PSU fan isnt spinning when I turn it on and none of the CPU fans spin, even though they are plugged into the correct location on the MOBO.
January 20, 2008 3:19:36 PM

Well I just bought an Antec 500W power supply and tried it with only the CPU fan and PSU into the mother board and got the same results. So its not the PSU, I'll troubleshoot the processor and reinstall it. If i have Arctic Silver between the CPU and heat sink do I need to wipe it all off and reapply or can I keep whats on the heat sink and processor after I take them off?
January 20, 2008 4:01:33 PM

You should always apply new TIM for better results. You do have the 24 pin and the umm 6 pin connected PSU power connections connected to the mobo? Do you also have the proper power connection connected to the Vid card? Disconnect the wires to the case switches/lights. Using a small screwdriver, short the power on pins on the mobo header where the power button comes on. That should turn it all on. If that fails take the Mobo out and lay it on the Mobo box and hook everything up and try again. Disconnect the HD and DVD drives etc, remove sound card if you have one and try that.

And your 900 case fans. They are connected to a PSU 4 pin molex? Is the CPU fan connected to the 4/3 pin CPU Mobo connector for CPU fan? PSU fan might not spin if it's not warm, the PSU documentation would tell you that.
January 20, 2008 4:12:13 PM

I have the 24 and 6 pins connected for power to MOBO. I dont have my vid card installed right now because I'm just trying to get the system to display a green LED instead of red. So all I have is the power and CPU fan to MOBO.
January 20, 2008 4:36:00 PM

My 900 case fans are connected using a 4 pin molex, the CPU fan has the thre pin CPU fan connection on the MOBO (actually the sys. fan not CPU fan because the CPU fan is 4 pin, my fan on the CPU has three pins).
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 20, 2008 4:48:52 PM

Th epower LED and the drive LED are polarized. Assuming everything else is working, all you need to do is reverse the connections. On the power and reaet switches, the polarity doesn't matter.

If you reverse the connections and still don't get lights, you may have a bad PSU.

Try this:

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Troubleshooting+a+New+Buil...
January 20, 2008 5:25:15 PM

Aha! The Mobo might see 0 rpm or the CPU fan not cemnnected and auto shutdown. The 3 pin CPU off the cooler will still fit, just make sure the Yellow fan wire is on the rpm sensing pin on the mobo. The mobo book will help. And you really need a Vid card to get it to post I think.
a c 139 ) Power supply
January 20, 2008 5:39:30 PM

Forester30 said:
I have the 24 and 6 pins connected for power to MOBO. I dont have my vid card installed right now because I'm just trying to get the system to display a green LED instead of red. So all I have is the power and CPU fan to MOBO.
What 6 pin power lead did you plug into your 4pin CPU power connector?
You should have the RAM and video card installed to try and get your system to finish POST.
January 20, 2008 6:11:35 PM

Thanks for the info conumdrum and WR2. I found what the odd red LED means by the processor. Its also by the CMOS switch (in the back of computer you can switch memory clearing) and so I flipped it to the right (it was on left which means clear CMOS). I took your advice, installed 4 GB memory, the video card, all the correct power to the motherboard (even tried switching polarization on the 2 pin connectors), hooked up the 3 pin fan correctly (yellow on RPM) and now I only get the one red LED on the bottom of the MOBO, indicating the unit is connected to a power source. The LED that is supposed to light

Sorry for sounding so noobish, this is my first build and its a learn as you go thing. Any suggestions where to go from here? I hope to have this thing running by next weekend if at all possible.
January 20, 2008 6:48:00 PM

Forester ,I see you are still having probs there, i hope you get things straighten out there and running.Good luck!Keep us posted.
January 20, 2008 8:24:54 PM

Thanks Inspecter71, I'm so near shipping everything back and buying a pre-built system!! I love it how my buddy that is so into computers suddenly disappears when I start my first build!
January 20, 2008 8:33:44 PM

PROMBLEM SOLVED!! You guys are so awesome, I had the problem fixed when I switched the CMOS switch back, I just forgot to hit the power button on the front of the computer! I got so worried about the inside of the computer I forgot the one important button on the front! Anyway, thanks again all and I hope this is the last message I'll have to post until I post a message saying how awesome my system is once it's up and running!!

Thanks again everyone who helped in my post!
!