old motherboard replacement

montec

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
I am looking for a replacement motherboard now that my athlon xp 2500+(oc'd to 3200+ via fsb) is begging for the grave. I have an issue though as I have done some much needed upgrades over the last year and a half as it was working great. so my delema is that I would love to get a mobo that still supports pc3200 ram and still has an agp slot, oh and also will have ide controllers as I have no need to upgrade my 3hd's as they still work great. Now before you all go and start making recommendations on pci-e or upgrading ram the fact is that I have to do this on a very small budget as I don't have 600+ available to rebuild my system. Also I went thru that whole pcie vs agp on the graphics forum when I was looking for a better graphics card for my pc which by the way is a evga nvidia 7600GT. I was looking @ Gigabyte but can't seem to find a k8ns pro board anywhere. Thanks for all the input in advance I really do appreciate it as this is my favorite site for tech info as you all have been great.

montec

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
Actually was hoping to sick with a AMD processor and I understand that I need a new processor for the new motherboard as mine is crapping out on me.

Computer geeks has some socket a boards, but choose your chipset carefully. Newegg has some socket 754 combo specials that might also work with your memory for around $70 shipped before rebates, but those boards won't overclock as well as yours.

montec

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
that seems to be the issue I know gigabyte had lots of good boards in ther pro series that still had agp and 184dimm and they had them for both the 754 and the 939. or if anyone here has one that they are selling or know of where one is let me know please as socket A processor can't get and the only one out there is a sempron 2200+