Cuivienen

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
I have a problem with my current system. Basically, I suspect there is a hairline fracture in my mobo, so I'm going to do a wholesale upgrade (minus GPU, which I am happy enough with for now, and my X-Fi). The thing is, I have a watercooling system. I don't OC at all (although I might this time); I got it just for fun. The point is, I wouldn't mind axing it.

Anyway, onto the gorey details. I am going to go with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (when it comes out) and some DDR2 RAM. I'm not sure which board to get (or which specific RAM for that matter). If I drop the watercooling, I need to spend some money on a new case. If I keep the watercooling, I need to spend $13 on some brackets. However, I'd also like to get one of those ASUS boards with the waterblock built in if I keep the watercooling.

Now, those boards cost at least $300 (unless you guys are aware of another one with a built in waterblock), which is more than a reasonably priced board, a CPU fan and a case (less $13 for the brackets). Also, the watercooling isn't much quieter (the main reason I got it) with new GPUs that need hurricane force winds to cool, and a waterblock for a card can cost almost $100. Here is the additional rub: my current GPU is an AGP card, so I'd like a board that has AGP and PCIe (do ones that support the CPU I want even exist?).

So, what are my options? Like I said, I don't mind dropping the watercooling if I have to. I'll also buy a new GPU if I can't get a board that supports AGP, PCIe (for the future upgrade) and a 1333MHz FSB.

While you're at it, any suggestions on RAM and a HDD?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
What is your watercooling system? Who made it if it is a kit? Then we will know if it's worth staying WC.

AGP and PCIe Mobos.... Hmm. Pick one, and getting a newer Mobo with newer capabilities with AGP, good luck..... My suggestion is sell the Vid card and go PCIe.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I'd recommend air-cooling over water-cooling. The Zerotherm Nirvana cooler is excellent, can match or beat the thermalright ultra 120 extreme for less money.

For a board that offers both AGP and PCIe, don't get them. AGP is way outdated and now were moving on to PCIe 2.0. Just get a HD 3850, the best valued vidcard out there.

If you're not going to OC, any ram should do really.

HDD, get the WD7500AAKS. The one of the fastest HD out there right now.

Cuivienen

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
It's an old (at this point) Koolance case. The only thing that is really "old" about it from Koolance's point of view is it uses 6mm tubes.

EDIT: BTW, I don't want a new AGP card, just to use my old one for a bit longer. However, I'd prefer a board that has PCIe 2.0 over one that has both PCIe and AGP, and I have a feeling PCIe 2.0 and AGP don't exist on the same board.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I considered going to water when I just recently upgraded, but it just didn't seem like it would be worth it. I ended up getting the Gigabyte P35-DS4 motherboard w/Silent Pipe and a OCZ Vindicator for my Q6600. OC'd to 3.3Ghz and running very cool (less then 45c) and quiet (CPU fan runs at 500RPM). The only thing that would even benefit from water over air is my 8800GTS, but I have no interest in installing a waterblock on that because I don't want to void my warranty and also I haven't even seen on for the G92 GTS.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Well, now is the time to get a new card.

Currently, the only mobos that offer PCIe 2.0 are x38 and x48, which are both pretty expensive. You could wait for the P45 though.

Cuivienen

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Tangential question: should I just get a cheap Socket A board for now and wait for the PCIe 2.0 cards to come out, or bite the bullet now and upgrade? I feel like the PCIe 2.0 cards are going to be very expensive when they come out anyway.

Cuivienen

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Should I just get an 8800 GT 512MB and a suitable mobo then?

What does everyone like in the mobo department? What is the best economy option? I hear the MSI P35 Platinum gets really good performance for about $150, but it's not 50% better than some of the cheaper boards out there. Everyone here seems to like the Gigabyte, but what are the other cheap P35 options out there?

Anyone know of any decent RAM/HDD deals too?

Cuivienen

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Sorry to double post on my self, but I came up with this quick system config:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 ($185)
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L ($100)
RAM: G.SKILL 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 ($110)
GPU: GeForce 8800 GT 512MB ($290)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 ($150)

Coming in under $850 is very reasonable I think. What do you guys think?