PC artifacting and crashing

Slyther

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Hey people, I have recently tried to oc my card but, couldnt achieve much without the pc crashing constantly, so i reset my card back to its stock settings and reinstalled the drivers, just incase. The pc has still been freezing even though i had reset the card back to stock settings (kept to the gpu fan at 100%). It seems to be only when i run 3D programs that the pc crashs and is completely random timing, sometimes 1 minute within booting pc or sometimes after 30mins+. Tonight my graphics card stooped to a new low after playing WoW for awhile, its showing some artifacts after about 15 minutes, I was wondering if there is anyway i could try and fix these artifacts and fix the pc from freezing?

Im fairly sure its since ive started to play around with the graphics card and oc it :( , and i get bit in the butt for it :sweat:

My Specs:

Galaxy 8800gt Overclocked (stock settings)
■ core clock: 600 mHz
■ shader clock: 1500 mHz
■ memory clock: 1000 mHz

and my attempted overclock settings were:
■core clock: 675mHz
■shader clock: 1750mHz
■memory clock: 1000mHz

p.s Used the guide on Tomshardware forum to oc my card.

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Does it work ok if you don't overclock (oops, rereading I see you say that it doesn't work at stock any longer).
Could the card be overheating? Have you checked that?
Or it could be a power issue.
Whats the PSU (make/model)?
Whats the rest of the system look like (cpu, mobo, drives, etc.)

Slyther

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Ive only had my pc for a month, was working fine before i attempted overclocking (no freezing or artifacting)..

■The card reachs a max temp of 60*C at full load playing crysis for over 1 hour (fan at 100%).
■My PSU is a 625watt, idk model or make.
■The rest of my PC specs are:
■ CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400
■ RAM: 4 Gb DDR2 800mHz
■ Mobo: Gigabyte ep45-ds3
■ HDD: Western Digital 500gb sata2

Slyther

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
nope, cant see any sticker, and not gonna take it out cos idk how and not about to stuff it up more lol. already stuffed enough of my new pc up :cry:
All i know is its 625watt PSU

royalcrown

Distinguished
well your psu is most likely your prob, and to take it out is easy. Quit cryin and find out how, it'll be okay. Usually there is just 4 screws on the back an that is it. Taking out a PS is the easiest thing in the world and if you can't learn how, you certainly shouldn't be overclocking.

It's prob a generic ps and that explains the hidden sticker usually.

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Yea, your temps look ok so the next most likely canddiate is the PSU.

As royal says, they're easy to take out and you won't break anything by doing it - and without the info on make/model its hard to narrow down the issue further (unless it happens to have some info on amps on each of the rails, etc. on the side that is visible - thats not typical though).

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

75mhz on a first attempt... Lower it to 620 and go up by 1 mhz at once.

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
I thought maybe it was the OC too, but the op said that even back at stock settings its now freezing - so if thats the case its likely not the OC...