Sign in with
Your question

PC artifacting and crashing

Last response: in Overclocking
July 26, 2008 1:18:41 PM

Hey people, I have recently tried to oc my card but, couldnt achieve much without the pc crashing constantly, so i reset my card back to its stock settings and reinstalled the drivers, just incase. The pc has still been freezing even though i had reset the card back to stock settings (kept to the gpu fan at 100%). It seems to be only when i run 3D programs that the pc crashs and is completely random timing, sometimes 1 minute within booting pc or sometimes after 30mins+. Tonight my graphics card stooped to a new low after playing WoW for awhile, its showing some artifacts after about 15 minutes, I was wondering if there is anyway i could try and fix these artifacts and fix the pc from freezing?

Im fairly sure its since ive started to play around with the graphics card and oc it :(  , and i get bit in the butt for it :sweat: 

My Specs:

Galaxy 8800gt Overclocked (stock settings)
  • core clock: 600 mHz
  • shader clock: 1500 mHz
  • memory clock: 1000 mHz

and my attempted overclock settings were:
  • core clock: 675mHz
  • shader clock: 1750mHz
  • memory clock: 1000mHz

p.s Used the guide on Tomshardware forum to oc my card.

• More about : artifacting crashing

July 26, 2008 1:59:11 PM

Does it work ok if you don't overclock (oops, rereading I see you say that it doesn't work at stock any longer).
    Could the card be overheating? Have you checked that?
    Or it could be a power issue.
    Whats the PSU (make/model)?
    Whats the rest of the system look like (cpu, mobo, drives, etc.)
    July 26, 2008 4:07:14 PM

how long has your card been working fine before?
    Related resources
    July 27, 2008 2:47:19 AM

Ive only had my pc for a month, was working fine before i attempted overclocking (no freezing or artifacting)..

• The card reachs a max temp of 60*C at full load playing crysis for over 1 hour (fan at 100%).
  • My PSU is a 625watt, idk model or make.
  • The rest of my PC specs are:
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400
  • RAM: 4 Gb DDR2 800mHz
  • Mobo: Gigabyte ep45-ds3
  • HDD: Western Digital 500gb sata2
    July 27, 2008 2:59:27 AM

there should be a sticker on the psu usually on the side.
    July 27, 2008 3:37:06 AM

nope, cant see any sticker, and not gonna take it out cos idk how and not about to stuff it up more lol. already stuffed enough of my new pc up :cry: 
    All i know is its 625watt PSU
    July 27, 2008 3:48:30 AM

well your psu is most likely your prob, and to take it out is easy. Quit cryin and find out how, it'll be okay. Usually there is just 4 screws on the back an that is it. Taking out a PS is the easiest thing in the world and if you can't learn how, you certainly shouldn't be overclocking.

It's prob a generic ps and that explains the hidden sticker usually.
    July 27, 2008 2:27:10 PM

Yea, your temps look ok so the next most likely canddiate is the PSU.

As royal says, they're easy to take out and you won't break anything by doing it - and without the info on make/model its hard to narrow down the issue further (unless it happens to have some info on amps on each of the rails, etc. on the side that is visible - thats not typical though).
    July 27, 2008 5:02:59 PM

Slyther said:
    Hey people, I have recently tried to oc my card but, couldnt achieve much without the pc crashing constantly, so i reset my card back to its stock settings and reinstalled the drivers, just incase. The pc has still been freezing even though i had reset the card back to stock settings (kept to the gpu fan at 100%). It seems to be only when i run 3D programs that the pc crashs and is completely random timing, sometimes 1 minute within booting pc or sometimes after 30mins+. Tonight my graphics card stooped to a new low after playing WoW for awhile, its showing some artifacts after about 15 minutes, I was wondering if there is anyway i could try and fix these artifacts and fix the pc from freezing?

Im fairly sure its since ive started to play around with the graphics card and oc it :(  , and i get bit in the butt for it :sweat: 

My Specs:

Galaxy 8800gt Overclocked (stock settings)
  • core clock: 600 mHz
  • shader clock: 1500 mHz
  • memory clock: 1000 mHz

and my attempted overclock settings were:
  • core clock: 675mHz
  • shader clock: 1750mHz
  • memory clock: 1000mHz

p.s Used the guide on Tomshardware forum to oc my card.

• 75mhz on a first attempt... Lower it to 620 and go up by 1 mhz at once.
    July 27, 2008 9:09:31 PM

I thought maybe it was the OC too, but the op said that even back at stock settings its now freezing - so if thats the case its likely not the OC...
    !