Sign in with
Your question

POLL: Why do OR are you primarily upgrading?

Last response: in Systems

Why do OR are you primarily upgrading?

Total: 121 votes (10 blank votes)

• My system is old and needs replacing
  • 26 %
  • My system can't handle Crysis, Software or Game
  • 10 %
  • My system isn't optimal for Crysis, Software or Game
  • 5 %
  • My system can't handle/ isn't optimal 4 Windows Vista
  • 1 %
  • I have/like to have the best or fastest system on paper
  • 1 %
  • I like to have the best or fastest system I can afford
  • 22 %
  • I upgrade every few years or every few...because..
  • 10 %
  • I want the best gaming system to help my gaming
  • 7 %
  • I'm going to try overclocking for the 1st time
  • 2 %
  • It's just a natural progression with technology
  • 20 %
January 20, 2008 2:07:30 AM

Just curious - why some folks upgrade or are upgrading their computers.
Many posts show that some people strive to have the best.
Some posts show that some people strive simply to improve their individual experience.
I know many variables have been left out.
Not to be taken seriously.
Just curious.

Why not write the reasons you are upgrading too - so we can see what motivates others.
January 20, 2008 2:10:43 AM

Two reasons actually... First and main reason is because my current computer is quite old and doesn't even play 1080p movies or any current game. The other reason is because the computer at my parents house is barely good enough to surf the internet and takes ages to load anything. So I figured I would build a new one for my apartment and bring my current one to my parents house so I can browse the internet with ease on the weekends...
January 20, 2008 2:30:43 AM

I usually upgrade on a "as needed basis" to better handle differnt things I'm doing with computers.

The frequency is a big tough to judge.
Usually just over 1 new computer a year which cycles out an older computer. (I have quite a few for different reasons.)

Related resources
January 20, 2008 2:54:16 AM

I usually build a new system every 3 to 4 years depends on what I can't do with the computer at the time. I currently have the one in my signature and a dell which I bought cheap from a friend for my daughter. I recently got a $398 laptop form walmart on black friday. I can play Crysis just fine with my computer (maybe not on high) but its decent to me. I was going to buy a new computer in November but I think I will hold on another year because my computer is holding on just fine.
January 20, 2008 3:02:42 AM

I find that it's over all cheaper to constantly upgrade then to build a new system every 2 years. I always try to upgrade when I can both get the best value for my old stuff and whatever I'm upgrading to has come down in price since it's initial release. ie Sold my FX60 for $330 and bought a Q6600 for $255. Honestly I didn't need the upgrade but it would have been dumb not to.
January 20, 2008 3:22:41 AM

purplerat said:
I find that it's over all cheaper to constantly upgrade then to build a new system every 2 years. I always try to upgrade when I can both get the best value for my old stuff and whatever I'm upgrading to has come down in price since it's initial release. ie Sold my FX60 for $330 and bought a Q6600 for $255. Honestly I didn't need the upgrade but it would have been dumb not to.

So how well does that q6600 run in that 939 socket, and DDR?
January 20, 2008 3:39:26 AM

just purchased an 8800GT 512 which should arrive later this week, because my 7800GT 256 was no longer cutting it after i upgraded to a TH2G DE... the increased demand was expected to happen though.
January 20, 2008 5:17:03 AM

You're missing one possible option in the poll. I was just annoyed comparing the Q6700 at work with the Pentium 3 at home :) 
January 20, 2008 10:55:07 AM

For me I usually rebuild a system every few years. This time around I'm going to be going to Windows Vista (64) for the first time from XP and I want the system to be perfectly adequate for that. Secondly - I'll also appreciate the extra performance for Adobe Creative Suite 3 and the 64 bit advantages for some of the Cakewalk music applications which I intend to get. I want to be able to play COD4 and other games on very high settings on a larger monitor too. Nicer FPS would be nice in Crysis so I can get it on in multi-player.
I'll be upgrading from a P4C800 E deluxe, P4 3.4Ghz, 2 gigs DDR400, X800pro and 2 Raptors to Maximus Formula, Q6600 Overclocked to 3.4ish, 8 gigs DDR800 and hopefully 2 of the ATI 3870x2 in crossfire.

I used to want (or liked the idea of having and saving for) the best that reviews had to mention - but now I want to get the best I can afford, whilst enjoying a decent upgrade performance experience and hopefully any money saved can be better spent or used elsewhere.
January 20, 2008 11:35:23 AM

Im just trying to eep up with technology, and it just so happens that building a new pc may help me render in 3ds a little faster (upgrade from one core to 4 cores)
January 20, 2008 11:42:42 AM

What enthisiast needs a reason to upgrade? How about....because it is there! Sometimes the enthusiast just needs to maintain his edge with current technology, other times it is because he wants to try something new, but either way it is fun!!!
January 20, 2008 12:07:41 PM

My X2 3800+ and 7800gt are pretty classic, but I think this summer it will be time to buy a new machine :) 
January 20, 2008 12:30:41 PM

Meh... It's a hobby.

-Wolf sends
January 20, 2008 12:31:22 PM

i update everytime i feel my pc cant keep up with games.
January 20, 2008 1:22:13 PM

New major build every 12month give or take a month or 2, half way in between I'll throw in a minor upgrade, usually videocards + more HDDs. I just like to play with new toys.
Counting the days until Macbook Air comes :D 
January 21, 2008 10:17:25 AM

onestar said:
What enthisiast needs a reason to upgrade? How about....because it is there! Sometimes the enthusiast just needs to maintain his edge with current technology, other times it is because he wants to try something new, but either way it is fun!!!

Yeah that's right. No reason necessarily needed. And it sure is fun.

When I'm not out working or running (jogging) - I spend most of my free time on this machine. Not sure that's such a good thing though.
January 21, 2008 11:15:19 AM

aevm said:
You're missing one possible option in the poll. I was just annoyed comparing the Q6700 at work with the Pentium 3 at home :) 

That's amusing. As far as it goes, the notebook I use at work, and the client PC's are a step below my home PC's. The notebook's a Lenovo business model and the client PC's are old Pentium 3's with one Athlon XP. I don't count the servers in the mix, some are old P4 era Xeons and a couple are Opterons.

Later in the year, I'd like to get my own notebook that has at least a dual core with a mobile 3000 series GPU that might handle gaming on the go on occasion, but a notebook's not my highest priority right now.

Two of our current systems at home have Phenom ready ASUS 690G boards, but I will hold off on one because my Athlon X2 4600+ is still decent. So is the Athlon X2 4600+ with an Nvidia 405 chipset in my son's PC. My wife wants a quad core (she only has an Athlon 3800+) for her graphics and modding, but I told her it's best to wait for her Phenom till May when B3 is available.

We do have worse monitors than at work (they're 19" CRT Viewsonics). My wife and I have Viewsonic 17" CRT's, an A70f+ and an A71f+. Our son has a 15" AOC. So, I'm getting two 22" Viewsonic LCD's and our son will use a bigger CRT for a few months. He said he won't mind. As far as games are concerned, it's time to replace the 1650 Pro and 7600GS in two of our computers, and get a new card for the other, which only has the 1250 IGP.

So, it will be two 3870's and either an 8800gt (should be 512, but might have to go 256) or wait for the 9600 series.

Two monitors and three cards are enough right now. So, I'm glad there are reasons to wait for the Phenom. For my PC, I'm willing to wait till 45nm. After all, I doubt that Hellgate London, The Witcher and other RPGs this year will stress our CPU's out and I doubt that our CPU's will bottleneck the cards at the higher resolutions of the LCD's.

My philosophy is a new build every 3 years with upgrades in the off years. We almost got 2900XT's and an 8800gts this time last year but I felt that better cards were coming and I was right. So I built two Athlon X2 systems for my wife and kid last summer. If I switched to Q6600 or got the B2 stepping Phenom's now, then I wouldn't have the cash right away for the graphics and monitors, which are more crucial as our GPU's and monitors are somewhat old and outdated for even a budget gaming rig like I have to go for as we have three people to build for.

Once I slap B3 Phenom's (maybe even 65 watt 9500's) into our two system's later, then these PC's might be good to go for a whole 3 years and I can skip PC upgrades a couple of years. We put up with a couple of Northwood P4's from just before Morrowind to last summer, and they had an AIW Radeon 9800 Pro and a Radeon 9600 XT!
January 21, 2008 12:21:20 PM

Personally I build a new PC about every 3 years some times I wait a bit longer if I know something big is going to happen e.g. Core 2 Duo. During that time I’ll upgrade the video once (currently I’m waiting for the HD 3870 X2 to arrive to replace my existing X1900 XT 512MB) normally around the 18th month mark, a secondary hard drive for files and games, a new gadget (I might get a Blu-Ray burner if they become cheap enough) and some extra ram.

My next major upgrade isn’t due until September 09, I can’t imagine what spec its going to be, perhaps an 8 core CPU from Intel? 4 Gb DDR3, Vista 64bit (you’ve got to take the plunge at some point), Radeon R7xx/GeForce G100?
January 21, 2008 12:39:22 PM

I upgrade mainly on impulse. Maybe I go out one week and see and see a really good deal on something... well, if it's better than what I've got... I may end up buying it. (That's how I got my 245bw :D )
January 21, 2008 12:49:23 PM

yipsl,

It can be quite rewarding building for other family members like you do. My next build means that this rig will be completely passed over to my other half. Although she rarely uses a pc past email, basic games and watching vids.
It's nice when more people benefit than just ourselves in the deal. Plus, when you live with a female and have to watch the spending a little more (compared to being single/living alone) - you get a little more elbow room when they get to benefit too!
Thanks for posting.
January 21, 2008 12:52:30 PM

JeanLuc - I too am waiting on the 3870x2 specs and info.
rgeist554 - Is the 245bw good for graphic design/photoshop type stuff as well as gaming? (The only thing I haven't or can't set my heart on yet is a monitor because I want something ideal for both of those.)
January 21, 2008 1:12:47 PM

My 4 year old P4 3.0C / 865PE system at home only has 2 SATA ports (both being used), an AGP slot, and it uses DDR1 ram.

'nuff said. ;) 

In a week I will be up and running on an overclocked E2180, IP35-E, 4gigs of Ballistix Tracer and an eVGA 8800GT 512.
January 21, 2008 1:26:07 PM

My motherboard fried after two years and I was sick of the Preshott CPU in my machine. My next upgrade is a bigger monitor. I think overall, I get a new machine about once every 2 years.
January 21, 2008 1:27:48 PM

i upgrade when i feel my PC can't play the games i want it to play.
January 21, 2008 1:31:30 PM

I upgraded this time because I wanted dx10 capability with good performance, but I have evidently been screwed since there is nothing out there for it.

I won't make the same mistake again.
January 21, 2008 3:02:25 PM

I try to stay up with the latest and greatest but that determines what is the latest and greatest. If I am only going to gain a few FPS then I wait it out. I was like when Pent D came out over pent 4. Decent gain so I got it. When first series of duo cores came out I stayed with my D for awhile.

Video cards are different it depends on the way games made at the time.
January 21, 2008 3:41:35 PM

Quote:
rgeist554 - Is the 245bw good for graphic design/photoshop type stuff as well as gaming? (The only thing I haven't or can't set my heart on yet is a monitor because I want something ideal for both of those.)
The HD resolution part of it is great, but I can't really say how it stacks up against other monitors in the graphic design area.

I can say that it is the best monitor I have ever owned, hands down... no question about that. The tools that are included also make it easy to swap between different profiles. (Maybe one for movies, one for games, etc.) Plus there are tons of manual adjustments available, but mine looked great straight out of the box.
January 21, 2008 4:04:37 PM

I upgrade the whole computer about every three years, which shows that my old 939 socket is well due for an upgrade. It won't get tossed out, but will migrate to my office, where demands are a bit less than a gaming computer. I upgrade my video card every year and a half or so, except the time that a video card fried and had to be replaced. I mainly like to get the longest practical life I can out of my computer, and the one I'm presently using has reached the end of its practical life as a gamer.
January 21, 2008 4:25:48 PM

I enjoy building PCs, so one way or another, I manage to do so. I've given away three of my own PCs, and built three others specifically for family members or friends; all in the last two and a half years. Along the way, my own gets upgraded. I'm thinking my father might want a new PC soon (he's got an old Dell, I'm sure it's a single-core, maybe only a P3). The bug bites me from time to time just because, or something I'm running seems slow. I want to get a quad soon, and either my father or my wife will get the e6750 I'm using now. The cycle goes on.
January 21, 2008 5:00:52 PM

I build & sell so i like to have the latest technoligy so my customers can see how well it performs, and if its worth it for them to buy. I also work as a reviewer / tester so i get alot of hardware for free. Both of my main machines are now running eVGA 780i mobos / QX9650s and they are both cooled by CoolIt Systems new 12 TEC Boreas chillers. One rig has two 8800 Ultras and the other has two 8800GT KOs. Each machine has 4Gbs of PC 8500 Dominators. One has a Silverstone OP 1200w power supply and the other has a CoolerMaster 1000w.One system is in a modded TJ-07 case,and the other is in a Lian Li G75B One of my test machines also have a XFX 780i and a QX6850 thats also cooled by CoolIt Systems new Freezone Elite. My 2nd test rig has a Asus P5N-T Deluxe 780i and a QX6800 thats cooled with a modded Freezone. All four have one 150GB Raptor and my two main machines also have WD750GB HDDs Thats four systems that i need to keep updated at least 2-3 times a year. Expensive, yes it is,but seeing as most of my customers are gamers its worth it. I let them play Crysis or Call of Duty 4 for 20-30 mins so they can see how well each system performs gaming. They have a choice of gaming with highend cards or lower end cards. It works for me business wise, and in the long run thats all that really matters.

Stan
Stans Custom PC's
January 21, 2008 5:42:46 PM

onestar said:

Wolfshadw said:
Meh... It's a hobby.

-Wolf sends

Im kind of in the same boat. I like to tinker. Certainly my budget limits what I can do, but generally speaking, I upgrade just for fun. Half the games a try out, I dont play, im just curious if my "tinkering" yeilds good results. If it doesnt, I tinker some more.

It certainly a hobby.

And its something in my life I can have more control over. I cant overclock my wife to get better results.
January 21, 2008 5:59:24 PM

rallyimprezive said:
Im kind of in the same boat. I like to tinker. Certainly my budget limits what I can do, but generally speaking, I upgrade just for fun. Half the games a try out, I dont play, im just curious if my "tinkering" yeilds good results. If it doesnt, I tinker some more.

It certainly a hobby.

And its something in my life I can have more control over. I cant overclock my wife to get better results.

If you ever figure out how to overclock your wife, just make sure you put a good heatsink on YOUR head. lol

I don't think overclocking would produce the desired effect.
But call me if you ever figure out how to clock them down....
January 21, 2008 6:03:31 PM

My PC (AMD 64 3000+, AGP Nvidia 6800 gt, Asus 754 socket deluxe) is over 4 years old now, thats 64 years young in computer years, and she just don't handle the new tech like she used to.. i am afraid Ma'ha i have to put her down in a few days... My new system will be up and running in a week..
January 23, 2008 2:18:43 AM

deadwolf said:
My PC (AMD 64 3000+, AGP Nvidia 6800 gt, Asus 754 socket deluxe) is over 4 years old now, thats 64 years young in computer years, and she just don't handle the new tech like she used to.. i am afraid Ma'ha i have to put her down in a few days... My new system will be up and running in a week..

What's your new system going to be?
(I'll be upgrading in the next 2 or 3 months)
January 23, 2008 2:45:48 AM

Personal systems:

October 2007. Prior system March 2002 (upgraded early 2005)

I don't upgrade until I Hafta.
January 23, 2008 2:50:14 AM

Wolfshadw said:
Meh... It's a hobby.

Same here. I just like to mess with stuff.

Crysis on very high would be nice though... :ange: 
January 26, 2008 1:13:01 PM

Crysis on very high shouldn't be too long now depending on your screen resolution. Obviously easier with say 1280x1024 as opposed to larger screens, more pixels and therefore more work for the GPU.
January 26, 2008 2:18:54 PM

It's a hobby for me as well. I build a new machine when I can afford to do so. Usually once every 2 years. But I upgrade almost constantly. Always looking for a better video card or some other upgrade.

When do you guys think that video cards will catch up with current processors? (I'm thinking system crippling games like Crysis)
January 26, 2008 2:21:00 PM

Have been a lifelong AMD fan, but I am seriously considering a Q6600 and mobo upgrade. Ugh, the shame!
January 31, 2008 1:12:46 PM

I buy either really.
Had an AMD athlon for a good few years and then an Intel P4.
Depends on what is decent at the time for my needs.
Same with ATI or Nvidia.
I expect to get the Q6600 soon too. I know you are joking but that shame translates in helping to support both companies. For all we know - they could even be the same company pulling in money from two different sides of the market.
January 31, 2008 1:31:30 PM

Quote:
hmm which option says "Mine exploded because I forgot to replace the thermal paste"

I love the smell of cooking Brisbane in the morning.
January 31, 2008 2:00:17 PM

a_dude said:
yipsl,

It can be quite rewarding building for other family members like you do. My next build means that this rig will be completely passed over to my other half. Although she rarely uses a pc past email, basic games and watching vids.
It's nice when more people benefit than just ourselves in the deal. Plus, when you live with a female and have to watch the spending a little more (compared to being single/living alone) - you get a little more elbow room when they get to benefit too!
Thanks for posting.

Thats exactly what I do, I just built a new system and passed my old one on to my gf, my old one was about 6 years ahead in technology from what she was using. In another 2 years I will probably hand my current one over to her, although at that time it may just be a MB/Proc upgrade.
February 1, 2008 4:40:55 AM

Yeah. It kind of works out pretty well. Instead of taking them shopping - they get to receive a new PC while you get to spend more time with the TRUE love of your life - your NEWEST PC.
!