Sign in with
Your question

DVD drive detected but not reading most disks.

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2009 12:11:14 AM

Okay this is the first time I have built a computer instead of just going out and buying one. It's all put together, everything is (hopefully) connected correctly, and I have successfully installed the operating system (windows vista ultimate 64 bit), and the graphics card drivers. It will not read any other disks (like drivers from the keyboard, motherboard, wireless N receiver, xbox 360 controller receiver, even the old game Starcraft wouldn't read), and even with these ones I did get to work there was a long waiting period before it detected that there was a new disk in the drive. The CD Drive, the mouse and the moniter are the only items I used that originally belonged to my old computer, which is 8 year old technology. Is there any way I can just fix it or do I need to go out and buy a new drive?
February 6, 2009 3:07:10 AM

Alright, I bouoght a Blu-Ray drive to replace the old technology. My BIOS is reading that it's there, but when I go to Computer in Vista all it has listed is a floppy drive. I do not have a floppy drive... Everything else in this computer seems to be working fine (hence why I am able to post this message), but the disk drive simply will not work. The power is connected, the SATA is connected, it opens, but Vista's saying it's not there and that some mysterious floppy drive is...
!