Sign in with
Your question

Nvstor64 - Event ID 5

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2009 12:49:07 AM

I'm getting periodic Event ID 5 errors in nvstor64 on my new system. I've installed the latest nVidia nForce drivers to no avail. It happens mostly during games, resulting in a 20 second (or so) pause in the action. Then the game resumes as if nothing happened and we're back in business. Still, it's frustrating.

The system:

Asus P5N-D
Intel E8500
4 gb DDR2 RAM
Vista Home Premium x64 SP1
Samsung HD501LJ (I know... Not the best choice.)
XFX Geforce 9800 GTX+ (512mb)
Corsair TX650W PSU

The system is not overclocked (yet) since I'd like to iron out this issue before I start experimenting. Besides, this combo runs my games at my monitors native resolution just fine, so I'm not in a hurry. I am NOT using a RAID configuration.

Here's the event viewer report:

Log Name: System
Source: nvstor64
Date: 1/22/2009 9:25:26 PM
Event ID: 5
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: THUNDERBOLT
Description:
A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort1.

I'll get that error logged every two seconds for about 20 or 30 seconds, then it logs this error:

Log Name: System
Source: nvstor64
Date: 1/22/2009 9:15:59 PM
Event ID: 129
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: THUNDERBOLT
Description:
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.

As I said above, I'm not using a RAID configuration on this system at all, though I am using nVidia's nForce drivers. I've searched around a bit and found others with this problem, but no solution yet.

Any ideas?

More about : nvstor64 event

January 28, 2009 2:13:07 AM

I figured this one out, so I thought I'd post it so others can find it when they're as frustrated as I was.

The problem was a driver version mismatch in the nForce driver set. The fix was as follows:

Boot to Safe Mode
Use Driver Cleaner to Gut the nForce drivers
Reboot to Safe Mode Again
Use Driver Cleaner to Gut the nForce drivers again
Reinstall the latest nForce driver kit while in safe mode
Reboot to normal mode

That seems to have done it! Note that Driver Cleaner costs around US$10 right now. I know there's probably another free program that can do it, but I'd heard Driver Cleaner could handle the job and I was willing to invest $10 to get the kinks out of my system.

I hope this is helpful for someone else, 'cause it sure drove me nuts!

January 30, 2009 12:20:50 AM

I just installed an older game (Supreme Commander Forged Alliance) and the problem is back! Removing the game doesn't help, in fact the problem came back DURING the installation. One thing I noted was that it installs DirectX prior to installing the game files. I figured it's checking my versions and won't mess with things if my versions are newer, but now I wonder...

I've also installed TES:o blivion in the last few hours, so I don't know if that could be related.

This is frankly getting ridiculous. I've found many other users experiencing this error but no one has posted a fix!
Related resources
February 4, 2009 11:22:17 PM

So nobody has any ideas on this one. At all?
July 12, 2009 2:20:22 PM

Every time I've had this problem, it was because one of the SATA cables was loose. If they're anything short of perfectly snug, you'll see this happen.
July 12, 2009 9:47:42 PM

I've gotten it worked out - for some reason nVidia's installation routine wants to put the RAID drivers in, even though I'm not using RAID. If I manually force an update to the non-RAID drivers, it seems to be okay.
From time to time I will get an Event ID 129, but it's rare enough that I can live with it.
July 15, 2009 2:03:20 AM

For those who still care, if I push the drive subsystem really hard (PAR2 verification, for example) I can get an Event ID 129 every minute or so. It's VERY irritating, so if anyone's got an ideas, I'd appreciate them!
August 8, 2009 1:22:30 AM

have same errors come up when ripping music to a music library,
but eventually degraded to
The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.
and optical drive couldnt read anything,
i contacted manufacturer and they put a new optical drive in,
have tested new drive with a mixture of 32 and 64 bit music software,
eventually after 70 albums started to get error again
only thing i can think of is a clash between drivers n software,
optical drive drivers are 32bit
running in vista 64
with 32 or 64 bit software
with 64 bit drivers on the GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 chipset,

or its overheating...
or something else...

its about to be picked up again for repair so will let you know the results...
June 24, 2010 5:08:31 AM

The fix for me was a new SATA controller (Highpoint 620). It was irritating to have to spend it, but $29 and a couple of minutes to install was worth it to make the freezing go away.
March 24, 2012 1:54:02 AM

The fix for me under WinXP and Win7 was:
1- in BIOS, disable SMART
2- in BIOS, set 'plug'n'play O/S' to No
3- under Windows XP & 7, do not install nVidia Network manager (just install bare drivers)
4- in Windows XP device manager, use native Microsoft disk controller drivers
4'- in Windows 7 device manager, install nVidia latest disk controller driver *and* force upgrade on each one of them

To my experience, nVidia network manager is full of memory leaks (handles keeps on raising over time), eventually doing hick up of the O/S.
Disabling SMART in BIOS doesn't seem to prevent Windows 7 to do SMART but it does help to fix the issue, I'm not quite sure why.
Removing manufacturer pseudo addons is highly recommended too (in my case, ASUS Probe was also causing hick ups).

For reference, my motherboard is Asus Striker II Extreme including nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI.
Those were tested without overcloaking and without SLI.
June 24, 2012 11:05:43 AM

Parity errors are almost always due to some type of hardware failure. It can be the controller or it can be something on the drive itself. Under distant circumstances it can be something else entirely. But, your best bet will be to run a diagnostic on the hardware and hope it identifies exactly what's failing.
!