New Authentication process...

I read on Yahoo that MS has a new authentication process.
Does this new authentication process collect IP addresses or anything else
about the end user? Does it apply only to XP, or also the old systems such
as 98se etc.?
19 answers Last reply
More about authentication process

    The Genuine Advantage program applies to Windows XP users only.

    About Genuine Microsoft Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx

    Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    Protecting Your Privacy
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo.aspx?displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Pete" wrote:

    | I read on Yahoo that MS has a new authentication process.
    | Does this new authentication process collect IP addresses or anything else
    | about the end user? Does it apply only to XP, or also the old systems such
    | as 98se etc.?

    Carey, to correct a minor point in your response, according to the FAQ in
    the web site that you listed, Windows 2K client is also part of the
    verification process.

    "Q:
    Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
    particular versions of Windows?

    A:
    Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
    Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of Windows XP and
    Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates are accessible to all
    users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are available,
    without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows
    Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. Genuine Windows
    downloads are not available for older versions of Windows (Windows 95,
    Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier), and non-Microsoft operating
    systems."

    > The Genuine Advantage program applies to Windows XP users only.
    <SNIP
    > Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    <SNIP

    Carey, FYI, as the FAQ you listed shows, the authentication process also
    applies to Win 2K users.

    "Validation is currently recommended, but not required. Should it become
    required in the future, only users of Windows XP and Windows 2000 customers
    (client, not server) will be required to validate. Genuine Windows downloads
    will continue to be available, without validation, to customers running
    Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service
    Pack 3. However, Genuine Windows downloads are not available for older
    versions of Windows (Windows 95, NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier),
    and non-Microsoft operating systems.

    > The Genuine Advantage program applies to Windows XP users only.
    >
    > About Genuine Microsoft Software
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >
    > Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >
    > Protecting Your Privacy
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo.aspx?displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Pete" wrote:
    >
    > | I read on Yahoo that MS has a new authentication process.
    > | Does this new authentication process collect IP addresses or anything
    > else
    > | about the end user? Does it apply only to XP, or also the old systems
    > such
    > | as 98se etc.?

    Thanks for the correction!

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "LVTravel" wrote:

    | Carey, to correct a minor point in your response, according to the FAQ in
    | the web site that you listed, Windows 2K client is also part of the
    | verification process.
    |
    | "Q:
    | Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
    | particular versions of Windows?
    |

    | A:
    | Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
    | Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of Windows XP and
    | Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates are accessible to all
    | users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are available,
    | without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows
    | Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. Genuine Windows
    | downloads are not available for older versions of Windows (Windows 95,
    | Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier), and non-Microsoft operating
    | systems."
    |

    | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    | > The Genuine Advantage program applies to Windows XP users only.
    | <SNIP
    | > Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    | <SNIP

    But is the rumor true? Do they collect IP addresses to identify people?

    > The Genuine Advantage program applies to Windows XP users only.
    >
    > About Genuine Microsoft Software
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >
    > Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >
    > Protecting Your Privacy
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo.aspx?displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Pete" wrote:
    >
    > | I read on Yahoo that MS has a new authentication process.
    > | Does this new authentication process collect IP addresses or anything
    > else
    > | about the end user? Does it apply only to XP, or also the old systems
    > such
    > | as 98se etc.?

    Q. "But is the rumor true? Do they collect IP addresses to identify people?"

    A. Absolutely untrue!

    The genuine validation process will only collect information about your system,
    such as Windows product key, PC manufacturer, and operating system version,
    to determine if Windows is genuine.

    This process does not collect or send any information that can be used to identify you or contact you.

    The complete list of information collected in the validation process is shown below:

    - OEM product key
    - PC Manufacturer
    - OS version
    - PID/SID
    - BIOS info (make, version, date)
    - BIOS MD5 Checksum
    - User Locale (language setting for displaying Windows)
    - System Local (language version of the operating system)

    Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Pete" wrote:

    | But is the rumor true? Do they collect IP addresses to identify people?

    Thanks for the information. (The rumors are wild right now!)
    -Pete

    > Q. "But is the rumor true? Do they collect IP addresses to identify
    > people?"
    >
    > A. Absolutely untrue!
    >
    > The genuine validation process will only collect information about your
    > system,
    > such as Windows product key, PC manufacturer, and operating system
    > version,
    > to determine if Windows is genuine.
    >
    > This process does not collect or send any information that can be used to
    > identify you or contact you.
    >
    > The complete list of information collected in the validation process is
    > shown below:
    >

    > - OEM product key
    > - PC Manufacturer
    > - OS version
    > - PID/SID
    > - BIOS info (make, version, date)
    > - BIOS MD5 Checksum
    > - User Locale (language setting for displaying Windows)
    > - System Local (language version of the operating system)
    >
    > Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Pete" wrote:
    >
    > | But is the rumor true? Do they collect IP addresses to identify people?

    Paranoia abounds these days; especially for those
    who -should- be paranoid! <g>

    Pop

    <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the information. (The rumors are wild
    > right now!)
    > -Pete
    >

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
    > in message
    >> Q. "But is the rumor true? Do they collect IP
    >> addresses to identify people?"
    >>
    >> A. Absolutely untrue!
    >>
    >> The genuine validation process will only collect
    >> information about your system,
    >> such as Windows product key, PC manufacturer, and
    >> operating system version,
    >> to determine if Windows is genuine.
    >>
    >> This process does not collect or send any
    >> information that can be used to identify you or
    >> contact you.
    >>
    >> The complete list of information collected in the
    >> validation process is shown below:
    >>

    >> - OEM product key
    >> - PC Manufacturer
    >> - OS version
    >> - PID/SID
    >> - BIOS info (make, version, date)
    >> - BIOS MD5 Checksum
    >> - User Locale (language setting for displaying
    >> Windows)
    >> - System Local (language version of the operating
    >> system)
    >>
    >> Ref:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    >> Technologies:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Pete" wrote:
    >>
    >> | But is the rumor true? Do they collect IP
    >> addresses to identify people?

    By the way, what is PID/SID?

    > Q. "But is the rumor true? Do they collect IP addresses to identify
    > people?"
    >
    > A. Absolutely untrue!
    >
    > The genuine validation process will only collect information about your
    > system,
    > such as Windows product key, PC manufacturer, and operating system
    > version,
    > to determine if Windows is genuine.
    >
    > This process does not collect or send any information that can be used to
    > identify you or contact you.
    >
    > The complete list of information collected in the validation process is
    > shown below:
    >

    > - OEM product key
    > - PC Manufacturer
    > - OS version
    > - PID/SID
    > - BIOS info (make, version, date)
    > - BIOS MD5 Checksum
    > - User Locale (language setting for displaying Windows)
    > - System Local (language version of the operating system)
    >
    > Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Pete" wrote:
    >
    > | But is the rumor true? Do they collect IP addresses to identify people?

    PID = Product Identification
    SID = Security Identifier

    When you install Windows XP, it creates a unique
    Product Identification (PID) and Security Identifier (SID).

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Pete" wrote:

    | By the way, what is PID/SID?

    In spite of the note on the website, W2k is not. The check is never made
    for W2k even though the WGA activeX control is downloaded and installed.
    The exact quote is:

    "WGA currently only performs validation on Windows XP. This means that you
    may see the WGA control downloaded and installed on other Windows versions,
    but no validation is currently performed except on Windows XP."

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > Carey, to correct a minor point in your response, according to the FAQ in
    > the web site that you listed, Windows 2K client is also part of the
    > verification process.
    >
    > "Q:
    > Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
    > particular versions of Windows?
    >

    > A:
    > Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
    > Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of Windows XP and
    > Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates are accessible to all
    > users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are available,
    > without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows
    > Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. Genuine Windows
    > downloads are not available for older versions of Windows (Windows 95,
    > Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier), and non-Microsoft
    > operating systems."

    >> The Genuine Advantage program applies to Windows XP users only.
    > <SNIP
    >> Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    > <SNIP

    Must really be weird computers I have at work with 2K on them. Did updates
    to them today and they all (3 different computers) asked for validation of
    "legal software". I could bypass it and the updates would work but.....

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > In spite of the note on the website, W2k is not. The check is never made
    > for W2k even though the WGA activeX control is downloaded and installed.
    > The exact quote is:
    >
    > "WGA currently only performs validation on Windows XP. This means that you
    > may see the WGA control downloaded and installed on other Windows
    > versions, but no validation is currently performed except on Windows XP."
    >
    > "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> Carey, to correct a minor point in your response, according to the FAQ in
    >> the web site that you listed, Windows 2K client is also part of the
    >> verification process.
    >>
    >> "Q:
    >> Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
    >> particular versions of Windows?
    >>

    >> A:
    >> Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on Microsoft
    >> Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of Windows XP
    >> and Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates are accessible to
    >> all users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads are available,
    >> without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows
    >> Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. Genuine Windows
    >> downloads are not available for older versions of Windows (Windows 95,
    >> Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier), and non-Microsoft
    >> operating systems."
    >>

    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> The Genuine Advantage program applies to Windows XP users only.
    >> <SNIP
    >>> Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >> <SNIP

    I repeat. WGA will install the activeX control on W2k but the test is never
    made and downloads are never blocked. Even if W2k is not a genuine copy of
    Windows. It is by design.

    > Must really be weird computers I have at work with 2K on them. Did
    > updates to them today and they all (3 different computers) asked for
    > validation of "legal software". I could bypass it and the updates would
    > work but.....
    >

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> In spite of the note on the website, W2k is not. The check is never made
    >> for W2k even though the WGA activeX control is downloaded and installed.
    >> The exact quote is:
    >>
    >> "WGA currently only performs validation on Windows XP. This means that
    >> you may see the WGA control downloaded and installed on other Windows
    >> versions, but no validation is currently performed except on Windows XP."
    >>
    >> "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>> Carey, to correct a minor point in your response, according to the FAQ
    >>> in the web site that you listed, Windows 2K client is also part of the
    >>> verification process.
    >>>
    >>> "Q:
    >>> Do all Windows users need to validate, or is validation limited to
    >>> particular versions of Windows?
    >>>

    >>> A:
    >>> Validation is required for all genuine Windows downloads on
    >>> Microsoft Download Center and the Windows Update service for users of
    >>> Windows XP and Windows 2000 (client, not server). Security updates are
    >>> accessible to all users via Automatic Updates. Genuine Windows downloads
    >>> are available, without validation, to customers running Windows 98,
    >>> Windows ME, Windows Server 2003, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3.
    >>> Genuine Windows downloads are not available for older versions of
    >>> Windows (Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier),
    >>> and non-Microsoft operating systems."
    >>>

    >>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> <SNIP
    >>> <SNIP

    But it is not implemented. All W2k automatically pass validation whether a
    genuine W2k copy or not.

    > Carey, FYI, as the FAQ you listed shows, the authentication process also
    > applies to Win 2K users.
    >
    > "Validation is currently recommended, but not required. Should it become
    > required in the future, only users of Windows XP and Windows 2000
    > customers (client, not server) will be required to validate. Genuine
    > Windows downloads will continue to be available, without validation, to
    > customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows Server 2003, and Windows
    > NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. However, Genuine Windows downloads are not
    > available for older versions of Windows (Windows 95, NT 4.0 with Service
    > Pack 2 and earlier), and non-Microsoft operating systems.

    >> The Genuine Advantage program applies to Windows XP users only.
    >>
    >> About Genuine Microsoft Software
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >>
    >> Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >>
    >> Protecting Your Privacy
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo.aspx?displaylang=en
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Pete" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I read on Yahoo that MS has a new authentication process.
    >> | Does this new authentication process collect IP addresses or anything
    >> else
    >> | about the end user? Does it apply only to XP, or also the old systems
    >> such
    >> | as 98se etc.?

    Explanation: WGA uses a multistep checking routine. The first step is to
    check to see if the operating system is activated. If yes, it goes to step
    two. If not, it informs the user that he needs to activate and then return.
    But XP and Server 2003 are the earliest operating systems requiring
    activation. Windows 2000 does not. So what does WGA do with step one if
    the OS does not require activation? It validates without any more checks
    and terminates.

    The text you have been referring to is actually meaningless. Why it remains
    there I don't know. Perhaps the WGA team once intended to come up with an
    alternative check to activation and never did. I am not privy to that
    history but it is conceivable.

    I have seen how WGA handles at least one other step that fails. When I ran
    my XP Pro x64 through WGA the first time it informed me that it could not
    find my key in its database and asked me to fill out a short questionairre
    about where I purchased my computer. It then validated my x64.

    All x64 copies are OEM so I sort of understand where that came from.

    Hope this helps.

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > Carey, FYI, as the FAQ you listed shows, the authentication process also
    > applies to Win 2K users.
    >
    > "Validation is currently recommended, but not required. Should it become
    > required in the future, only users of Windows XP and Windows 2000
    > customers (client, not server) will be required to validate. Genuine
    > Windows downloads will continue to be available, without validation, to
    > customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows Server 2003, and Windows
    > NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3. However, Genuine Windows downloads are not
    > available for older versions of Windows (Windows 95, NT 4.0 with Service
    > Pack 2 and earlier), and non-Microsoft operating systems.

    >> The Genuine Advantage program applies to Windows XP users only.
    >>
    >> About Genuine Microsoft Software
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx
    >>
    >> Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >>
    >> Protecting Your Privacy
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo.aspx?displaylang=en
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Pete" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I read on Yahoo that MS has a new authentication process.
    >> | Does this new authentication process collect IP addresses or anything
    >> else
    >> | about the end user? Does it apply only to XP, or also the old systems
    >> such
    >> | as 98se etc.?

    Windows downloads are not available for older
    > versions of Windows (Windows 95, NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier),
    > and non-Microsoft operating systems.

    So, if our NT server crashes and needs reinstallation, we can't get SP6
    anymore??

    All patches and the latest service packs posted prior to the end of
    mainstream support remain available on WU/MU after mainstream support has
    ended (but the only new downloads that will appear are critical security
    patches and any rollups which include security patches). If you have to
    reinstall the OS you will be able to download what you need from WU/MU as
    expected. Your server would again go through the WGA 'licensing' (not at
    all the same as the EULA license) upon the first visit to WU/MU but would
    always pass by default and receive the license.

    > Windows downloads are not available for older
    >> versions of Windows (Windows 95, NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and earlier),
    >> and non-Microsoft operating systems.
    >>

    > So, if our NT server crashes and needs reinstallation, we can't get SP6
    > anymore??

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > All patches and the latest service packs posted prior to the end of
    > mainstream support remain available on WU/MU after mainstream support has
    > ended (but the only new downloads that will appear are critical security
    > patches and any rollups which include security patches). If you have to
    > reinstall the OS you will be able to download what you need from WU/MU as
    > expected. Your server would again go through the WGA 'licensing' (not at
    > all the same as the EULA license) upon the first visit to WU/MU but would
    > always pass by default and receive the license.
    >
    > <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Windows downloads are not available for older
    > >> versions of Windows (Windows 95, NT 4.0 with Service Pack 2 and
    earlier),
    > >> and non-Microsoft operating systems.
    > >>

    > > So, if our NT server crashes and needs reinstallation, we can't get SP6
    > > anymore??

    What is WU/MU ?
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Windows Update
    Microsoft Update
    Joan

    Pete@nospam.com wrote: