Burning Files off of External HD = blank coasters . Help

okazar

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Ive got an external hd where i keep some isos. When people ask me to burn something i want to burn the iso straight off of the ext hd. ( connected via usb)

the thing is when i burn off my desktop and laptop the discs come with a burn mark ( meaning it was written on) but they come out as blanks...

Has anyone every been able to burn off an ext hd? is it even possible? Thanks

I ask this because i dont feel like transfering isos all the time just to burn something for someone (4 gigs and up)

r_manic

Administrator
Hey Okazar, yes I've been able to successfully burn DVDs from ISOs located on an external hard disk. Seems to me your discs aren't getting finished properly. That's why the data looks like its there, but the disc remains unreadable. My guess is that your computer can't handle data running to and from the burner and the external hard disk at the same time.

Play it safe dude. Copy the ISO to your onboard hard disk, then burn from there. Sorry.

sturm

Splendid
How fast a system are you running? If its an older system then it probably can't sustain enough throughput off the usb to keep the burning happy.
When you are burning do you ever notice the buffer running low?

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Is there any other device you have plug into you USB?> I perfered a eSata ext HD.
USB has 480Mbps=60MBps USB is very CPU intensive. A very quick system is require
sustain the max thruput

AMDx2 4400+
MAX burn rate is around 10x

I have a Q6600 oc 3.4Ghz now and can burn 3 different ISO on 3 different burner at once.

GL