Asus Maximus Extreme

insaneshane

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
i have just purchased an asus maximus extreme, did have it on windows xp then changed to vista last night, but since i first put it together the bios seems to overclock everything on its own, im not an overclocker, just a gamer, i have never really played around with the bios on any of my systems, now i am running the following
the clock speeds are setup defaults

Asus Maximus Extreme water cooled
Intel core 2 quad extreme Q6800 2.93ghz @(3.21ghz) water cooled
2gb crucial ballistix 1600mhz @(1603mhz)
xfx 8800GTS 640mb, running standard clocks
2x500gb sata 2.0 seagates i think, im at work so cant check
1x sata lite on dvd/cd dual layer writer

okay the problem as you can see the processor is @ 3.21ghz and there is 3 led's on for the level up function at the top right of the board, also the latency are running fine now but if i try to change the processor in bios to Q6800 the memory speed goes down to approx 751mhz and the latenceys change
if i try changing the memory to 1600mhz the processor reads @ 3.4ghz
and the latencys change again i normally just change the basics in bios and away i go
dont get me wrong everything is running fine on vista, was hanging on login screen on xp, 3dmark 06 on basic settings was approx 10360
ran for a short time with everything on full and everything run smooth
i just dont like the idea of overclocking things, i dont mind if it is running fine but can this damage the processor, mem etc?, does anyone have any idea how to change the settings, the bios has been updated and nothing changed, any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry for spam, i did accidently post the same question as a reply to someone elses problem :??:

insaneshane

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
my ram is crucial ballistix ddr3@1600mhz timings are 8-8-8-24
the ram is running @ 1603 which im fine with but this means the processor has to be run at 3.21ghz, im not over keen on playing in bios but i managed to set the ram timings okay, the system seems to be running stable atm, infact its running perfect, so would you recomend i leave it as is?
i have being toying with the idea of overclocking the processor i little more and maybe the memory, i know i said i didnt like playing around with things, but hey lets live a little, thats what this board and memory is all about hehe.

omermaras

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
what case would you recommend for Asus Maximus Extreme?? (I won't bother to try to work out a watercooled system, and use arctic freezer 7 pro instead), or is there a way I can find at the specs (like, "Asus Maximus Extreme is XYZ format, and will fit any mobo that is XYZ"??)

insaneshane

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
im using a Armor Lcs wich works well, £140 from www.novatech.co.uk, comes with everything you need to cool the processor and board,
i do aim on another radiator to do the graphics as these dammed fans are too much :)